Fall Wreath Tutorial

Goodbye old wreath, and hello new wreath! I still love my old wreath and it’ll be back up again in the future. However, since I’m on a fall rampage, I thought it’s time for a fall wreath. This is what I came up with…

I love how it turned out… a vintage inspired fall wreath! Would I give you anything but? :P It was simple and fairly quick to make! I decided I’m going to show you how to make your own wreath… how does that sound? :) Now let’s get started!

Supplies needed:

• Straw Wreath (keep plastic wrap on it)
  • 1/2 yard of brown burlap
  • doilies
  • fabric scraps,
  • wired mini pumpkin bunches (you can find these at Joann’s in the floral department, by the fall stuff)
  • 1/4 yard sheer fabric in ivory
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors

Step 1: Cut out four 3″ strips from your burlap.

In the picture I only show three cut out. After using all three, I ended up needing a fourth strip, but didn’t use the entire piece.

Step 2: Wrap the strips around your wreath.

Glue the beginning and end of each piece in the back of the wreath.

When you are done wrapping all four strips, you’ll have this…

Step 3: Lay out your doilies and glue them on.

I put glue in the center of the doily, and a small dot on each petal.

Step 4: Make your flowers.

To make your flowers, first cut out 10 circles. My flowers ranged from 1.5″ to 2.5″.

To make the petals, fold each circle in half twice. Put a small amount of glue to hold down the folds. You’ll end up with a quarter of a circle like this…

Repeat with nine of the circles.

Then take the tenth circle, and lay four of the petals on top of it. Glue them on.

Repeat with four more petals but placing them on the seams of the first four, and glue them on.

Take the last petal and trim the bottom tip, apply glue around the trimmed end and place the petal in the center like so…

Take the four surrounding petals and push them into the the center petal allowing them to grap on to the glue.

Make three flowers.

Step 5: Place your flowers and pumpkins on your wreath.

Of course, first, you will need to pull apart your pumpkin bunch. Trim wires where necessary. Poke the wires through the burlap. Adjust flowers and pumpkins to your liking. After getting my layout, I then added glue to the pumpkins’ wires to keep them from coming out or twisting around. Then glue your flowers on.

Step 6: Cut your sheer fabric to about 3″ to 4″ wide. Loop it on top of your wreath, and tie it on. I made a small loop from which the wreath will hang onto the door hanger. Then I made a bow. I found it easier to make my bow after hanging it up.

You are done! Hang it on your door and enjoy!

I have my wreath hung up on my front door, but I live in a condo building. My front door does not get natural light… just a hallway fluorescent light, and for an amateur photographer, I could never get decent pictures in fluorescent light. So I wasn’t going to share a picture of it hanging on my front door, but I have changed my mind because of my step-daughter Susu. I was fussing about getting my bow to look right, and she thought it looked fine. But don’t all crafters fuss until they are happy with the end result… am I alone on this one? Anyway, she then teased me that no one is going to see my new wreath except for the three families that live on our floor and the mailman…LOL! Well Susu…now the whole world will see it…well maybe not the whole world but everyone that reads this post will! Here is my new fall wreath hanging on my front door for everyone to see :D

And even if no one were to see it but myself, I’m okay with that too! My new motto is “I just want to make beautiful things even if nobody cares“! :D I came across this quote at Landee See, Landee Do and thought it very suiting!

Anyway, I hope you liked the tutorial:) If you make one, I would love to see it!

Well that’s all for today folks! See you in the next post:D

Updates:

Tatertots & Jello featured my wreath in her post Great Ideas–30 Fall Projects. Yay!! Thanks a bunches:D

I’m participating this wreath in Falling for Crafts Challenge: Door Decor at One Artsy Mama. Go check it out!

Thank you Nest of Posies for featuring my wreath and apple pie as part of your Fall Festival’s week 3 highlights!!! It was so awesome to see two of my projects in one feature:D Yay!

• September 20, 2011  7:50 am by Maysem Reply

Thank you Angee:) Thanks for visiting!

1. September 16, 2011  11:45 pm by Tanya Reply

I really like that wreath. I am pinning it to my wreath board. That is a great look with the doilies. That would be good for winter too, they could be snowflakes maybe?

• September 17, 2011  8:14 am by Maysem Reply

Thank you!! That's a great idea for a winter wreath! Thanks for stopping by:)

2. September 18, 2011  9:35 am by Kelley Reply

I love how unique your new fall wreath is! I also love the wreath it replaced ;) Im going to have to try to make those flowers.. great tutorial!

• September 18, 2011  10:41 am by Maysem Reply

Thank you Kelley!! Also thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a sweet comment:)

3. September 18, 2011  11:06 am by Katie@ Little Things Bring Smiles Reply

This is absolutely beautiful! First wreath I've seen with doilies on it, so sweet :) I would love to hang this in my home, just so pretty! Thank you for some great inspiration!!!

• September 18, 2011  11:46 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Katie for the sweet comments!! I'm so happy to hear that my wreath brought you inspiration! Thanks for visiting and stop by anytime:)

4. September 19, 2011  9:55 am by Janet Reply

So fun for fall, wonderful job!

• September 19, 2011  12:24 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Janet for checking out my wreath and taking the time to leave a comment!

5. September 23, 2011  2:27 pm by Amy Davidson Latta Reply

That looks great! I'm so glad you linked up at One Artsy Mama. It's too funny; I made one with brown ribbon and fabric flowers...great minds think alike! We have good taste. :) I really like the effect of the doilies; I'd never have thought of that. Thanks again for sharing!

6. September 24, 2011  11:24 am by thecraftynest Reply

Oh, what a pretty wreath! I would love for you to link it up at my Do Something Crafty linky party: http://vanessascraftynest.blogspot.com/search/label/Do%20Something%20Crafty%20Friday

7. October 5, 2011  5:30 am by Rhonda Reply

I love your doily wreath! I think I'll try this in springtime... Would be so fun with yellow and pink.

8. October 10, 2011  9:49 am by Heather (DSSP) Reply

I love the contrast of the doilies against the brown burlap! Gorgeous wreath! And your new motto is PERFECT! I'd love if you'd link up to our Fall Wreath Craft Party this month!

9. October 10, 2011  9:38 pm by Princess Heather Reply

Such a cute wreath! I love fabric flowers, and burlap!

10. Pingback : Pumpkin Decorating Tutorial « Ode to Inspiration

11. October 13, 2011  8:06 pm by Lauren Reply

You're so talented! This wreath is stunning :)

12. November 12, 2011  8:45 pm by whisperwoodcottage Reply

Thanks for the great tutorial. Those fabric flowers are so fun! Thanks for linking up to the Burlap Month party at WhisperWood Cottage!

13. Pingback : Winter Wreath Tutorial « Ode to Inspiration

14. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Getting Ready for Fall!

15. Pingback : No Sew Snowman (tutorial) Guest Post - Craftionary