Eid Advent Calendar

Today is the first day of Dhul Hijja, the twelfth month on the Islamic lunar calendar. Dhul Hijja is the month that hajj takes place, and Eid is on the tenth day. My Eid al-Adha advent calendar is ready just in time! So let the count down begin!

In each of the advent calendar’s envelopes is a question relating to hajj. As I mentioned in the Box of Eid Surprises post, if the girls answer the questions correctly, they get to draw out of the box! As with the box of Eid surprises, the Ka’ba was the inspiration here as well: black and gold.

I first spray painted the frame a layer of gold, and once dry I then spray painted it in black. Once the black layer was dry, I sanded the frame to give it a distressed look with the gold peaking out. It was simple as that! Then I just pinned on lines of twine. I stamped each envelope with the numbers, and clipped them on with little clothes pins. I used one of my circle punches for the title and stamped the letters on as well. I hot glued the circles onto the twine. For the finishing touch, I tied strips of fabric on the ends.

My SIL Suzan joined me in making her own as well. Check out her calendar!

She went with a bigger frame and used gold and teal for her colors. So pretty!! The clothes pins were Suzan’s idea. They were a really nice touch! Thanks Suzan for the cute idea!!

So far I’ve given you Eid lambs, a surprise box, and an advent calendar. I have a couple more things to make and then I will be sharing with you the set up of everything together! See you in the next post!

Hey, this is where I’m partying this week. Hope to see you there:)

1. October 28, 2011  4:07 pm by Beth Reply

What a cute countdown! Thanks for linking up to Living Life Intentionally Linky Party!
    Beth =-)

2. October 28, 2011  11:39 pm by Erin Reply

I wasn't familiar with Dhul Hijja, but I'm heading out to google it and learn even more :) Thanks for sharing!

3. October 29, 2011  10:31 am by Bethany Reply

I love the look of this calendar! I might just have to make a similar one for Christmas! Thanks for sharing!

4. October 29, 2011  11:14 am by Hinna Reply

Mash'Allah that's beautiful!
    An early Eid Mubarak!!

5. October 31, 2011  9:33 am by Zerique Reply

very nice!!! Great blog. I am a new follower from the hop!!! follow me at onesweetstory.blogspot.com

6. October 31, 2011  5:16 pm by Sher Reply

How cute! I love advent calendars. Nice idea.

7. October 31, 2011  8:50 pm by Judy Nolan Reply

What a great idea! I have never seen a celebration calendar done this way, with a frame. Simple and clever!

8. November 1, 2011  10:09 pm by Laurie Reply

That is so beautiful, and I *really* like the idea of incorporating learning with the treats! I think I'll use the idea for our Christmas Advent calendar. Eid Mubarak to you and yours.

9. Pingback : Eid al-Adha Gift Baskets « Ode to Inspiration

10. November 3, 2011  7:10 am by Maha Reply

Well done! I will attempt to make the calendar but I am concerned to get as beautiful as yours!

11. November 3, 2011  5:01 pm by Toni Reply

What a great project! I love the way you hung the numbers. So very creative & cute. Happy to have found your blog :)

www.smithpeas.com

12. November 6, 2011  10:10 pm by Macy Reply

Thanks for linking up to last week's Tuesday Confessional! You were featured, so stop by and grab a brag button. http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/11/features-from-last-weeks-tuesday.html#comments
    I hope to see you again this week!
    ~Macy

13. November 9, 2011  6:47 pm by Marilyn Reply

Hello there.. Thanks so much for linking to Pin'Inspirational Thursday's last week. I picked this awesome feature as one of my fav's to be featured tomorrow.. Hope you can link up and share again tomorrow.. TY SO much.. : )) Please stop in and grab a button :))

14. November 10, 2011  12:39 am by CREATIVE MIND Reply

This is totally a cute idea..I Love the way you are crafting! keep sharing awesome stuff!
    well I have followed you on twitter & subscribed too..I am sure more fun is coming from your awesome site :)
    All the best dear :)
    May Allah bless you with tons of happiness..aameen

15. Pingback : Give Thanks « Ode to Inspiration

16. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Eid Al-Adha Vignette

17. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Craft Supply Neglect {Guilty}