Homemade Pumpkin Pie

That’s my Emile Henry pie plate and my fall leaves piecrust cutters (both from Williams-Sonoma). I love my Emile Henry pie plate! It makes my pies look so pretty. Apple pies and pumpkin pies are my fave. I do love you apple pie, especially with your side kick vanilla ice cream, but my favorite of favorite grubs in the fall is hands down pumpkin pies! Homemade pumpkin pies! Nothing but homemade! Made from a fresh pumpkin. I have not yet found one store bought or bakery bought pumpkin pie that is good. If you’ve never had a pumpkin pie, I discourage you from trying the store/bakery bought stuff as a first introduction. Up until about four years ago, I never had a pumpkin pie. Honestly, I was afraid to try it. My SIL, Suzan, introduced me to it…homemade! It was the best pie I’ve had in my life! I was sold!! After that intro, I decided to make my own pumpkin pie, but I had used canned pumpkin with graham cracker crust. It was good, but no where near homemade! Homemade is simply amazing!! I’ve been on a secret mission to convert everyone;) So far so good…hehe. I’ve converted people that use canned pumpkin to only using fresh pumpkin, and those that didn’t like pumpkin pie because of store/bakery bought pies, have become fans after trying homemade! So I’m here to convert those that need converting:D

(Be sure to cover your edges with foil so they don’t brown too much. I forgot to do that (of course when it’s the pie that will be posted! hehe), and by the time I realized it, it was almost too late. But my error is a lesson learned for you:D)

Making pumpkin pie is not difficult, just a lot of time waiting…. dough refrigeration time, pumpkin roasting time, and finally pie baking time.  I’m going to share the recipe Suzan shared with me. However, yesterday I experimented with a different crust recipe that I felt was more straight forward, in the sense that there is no need for ingredient adjustments to make one crust. You can find that crust recipe here. Both crust recipes are great, so your choice:) I stuck to the filling recipe Suzan gave me because I absolutely love it! Also, here is a a link that shows you how to roast your pumpkin in 45 minutes! It shows you different methods to cook your pumpkin, but I use the oven method. And as it says in that article, once you go fresh, you will never go canned again!

Enjoy!

Suzan’s Crust Recipe:

Makes one 9 or 10 inch double crust:

(for the pumpkin pie you only need half of this recipe)

Sift Together:

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

1 1/4 tspn of salt

add:

3/4 cup chilled vegetable shortening

3 tblsp of cold unsalted butter

Cut half of the shortening into the flour mixtuer with a pastry blender or work it in lightly with the tips of your fingers until it has the consistency of cornmeal. Cut the remaining half into the dough until it is pea-sized. Sprinkle the dough with 6 tablespoons of ice water. Blend the water gently into the dough until it just holds together. Lift the ingredients with a fork, allowing the moisture to spread. If necessary to hold the ingredients together, add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of ice water.

Divide the dough in half, shape each into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for a couple of hours.

Bake pie crust without filling:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Beat 1 large egg yolk.

Roll the dough to fit in a pie pan leaving about 1/2 inch overhang. Brush the edges of the crust with 1 large egg yolk. Cover the edge of the dough with a strip of aluminum foil to protect the crust from over browning. Line the crust with parchment paper and weigh down the crust with dry beans or pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes (if you are using an ovenproof glass or enamelware cut the baking time indicated by 1/5 to 1/4 of the time). Remove the weights and bake 5 to 10 more minutes.

Cool before filling.

Suzan’s Pumpkin Filling (with notes in italicized bold from me):

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.

Whisk thoroughly in a large bowl:

2 to 3 eggs  ( 3 for a soft, custardy filling, 2 for a firmer pie with a pronounced pumpkin flavor) (I use 2 eggs because I like my pie firmer)
2 cups cooked pumpkin or squash puree
1 1/2 cups heavy cream or evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves or allspice
1/2 tsp salt

Pour the pumpkin mixture into the crust and bake until the filling is firm, which is about an hour. Cool completely on a rack. The pie can be refrigerated for up to 1 day (it does last longer than 1 day, if there is actually any left over!). Serve cold or at room temperature (I prefer mine at room temperature).

Whipperberry

1. October 17, 2011  6:49 am by Lynn Reply

What a beautiful pie! I'm making a pumpkin pie later today, I have some little pie crust leaf cutters too. Thanks for reminding me.
    -Lynn

2. October 17, 2011  10:54 am by Carmen Reply

OMGosh! This pie looks to pretty to be eaten!! But I bet it tastes wonderful. Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin’ link party this coming Friday, www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com. Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there….

Remember…YOU ROCK!!

3. October 17, 2011  5:09 pm by Jennelise Reply

Beautiful pie! I could go for a slice of that right now! :)
    Jennelise

4. October 18, 2011  12:06 pm by Jen @ Bungalov Reply

This pie looks amazing and so YUMMY! We bought the WS leaf cutters last year and haven't tried them yet. Now I can't wait to!

5. October 18, 2011  2:07 pm by Carolyn - homework Reply

Beautiful. It looks almost too pretty to eat {but that wouldn't stop me...}. I have a link party on Tuesdays {The Inspiration Board} and I’d be thrilled if you linked this up. I know my readers would really enjoy it. Hope to see you there.
    carolyn - homework

6. October 18, 2011  7:36 pm by Pat Reply

LOVE homemade pumpkin pie! This one looks so pretty and festive with your leaves scattered about. Thanks for sharing...

7. October 18, 2011  7:38 pm by Pat Reply

I so hope that duplicate posts are not happening! Having a huge problem with Blogger, even using Google Chrome.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you thanks for sharing! I LOVE pumpkin pie ~ the real thing. Your pie looks very pretty and festive with the leaves scattered about.

Pat

8. October 20, 2011  8:39 am by paulacorley Reply

One of my family's favorite pies! I have a video of how to make a pie crust, very simple on my blog: http://www.vintage-2-vogue.com also, named salvage-2-selvage, if you would like to see it and comment it on it....from one love of baking to another!
    I link on your site from Tip Junkie.....
    Thanks,
    Paula

9. October 21, 2011  10:22 am by the36thavenueDesiree Reply

This pie is beautiful...

I would love for you to share it at my link party. I hope to see you there!

10. October 21, 2011  1:26 pm by Beth Reply

This pie is CRAZY gorgeous!! LOVE it!

11. October 22, 2011  3:43 am by the36thavenueDesiree Reply

I am featuring you tomorrow during sticker time... Feel free to stop by and button-up!

12. Pingback : STICKER TIME {21} | The 36th AVENUE

13. October 26, 2011  10:06 am by Erika Reply

That turned out amazing (and looks oh-so yummy)! Thanks so much for linking it up to Thrifty Thursday :)

14. November 9, 2011  4:11 pm by Lily Reply

This must be the most beautiful pumpkin pie ever. Almost too pretty to eat!

15. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Getting Ready for Fall!

16. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Piecrust Cutters Giveaway