Pumpkin Decorating Tutorial

Now that I’m done with cakes, I’m back to more fall projects. Yay!

My family and I went to the pumpkin farm. We had fun on the kiddie rides (adults too!), pony rides (kiddies only), petting zoo, haunted house and fun barn, ate yummy apple treats and kettle corn, and just enjoyed the cute scenery around the farm. There’s also hay rides, a corn maze, and pig races which we didn’t get to do on this trip, but that gives us an excuse to go back again for more! This was all at Bengtson’s Pumpkin Farm, my favorite place to go to in the fall! Of course in the end we grabbed a wheelbarrow and we each picked out our own pumpkins… some of us more than one :P Wanna see what we did with them? Here’s a little step by step tutorial of how I decorated my pumpkin. Afterwards I’ll show you what the girls did with their pumpkins.

These are the supplies I used:

• Pumpkin
  • Aqua blue spray paint (It was actually called Robin’s Egg)
  • Aluminum foil (to cover the stem)
  • Sanding paper
  • F, A, L, L wood letters (found mine at Hobby Lobby)
  • Krylon’s bronze Glitter Blast (more glitter, but of course!)
  • Lace
  • Doily
  • Fabric flower
  • Hot glue gun

First I would recommend covering your work space with plastic table cloth, large garbage bags, newspaper, or anything else you have handy. I used a plastic table cloth.

Let’s get started!

First cover your stem with the aluminum foil and spray paint your pumpkin.

Next, glitter blast the F-A-L-L! Make sure to do it away from your pumpkin because the glitter can spread.

Once your pumpkin is dry, sand it to give it a distressed look by just doing swipes down the pumpkin. I first started in the creases of the pumpkin and then just randomly swiped in other areas until I was happy with how it looked.

After you are happy with how your pumpkin looks, wrap the lace around it and hot glue the ends in the back.

Then glue on F-A-L-L.

And now the finishing touch. I had left over doilies from my wreath as well as the same fabric flowers. The tutorial for the flowers can be found in the wreath tutorial post.

I promise this is the last fabric flower I have left from this set:P  At the time, I wasn’t sure how many flowers I was going to use on my wreath, so I had made extras..hehe. It never hurts to have ready made fabric flowers on hand:) From wreath, to vase, and now finally pumpkin! Glue the flower onto the doily, and the doily onto the pumpkin. I placed it towards the side of the stem.

All done! Now check out what Susu and Suraya made.

Susu made a silver monogrammed pumpkin…

She has a step by step tutorial on how she made her pumpkin. Go check out her post!

Suraya decided to cover her pumpkin with buttons…

Don’t worry, that hot glue gun was safe for her to use and she was supervised while using it:) That’s my wimpy hot glue gun… you can never burn yourself with it unlike my other oh so dangerous glue gun that I’ve used only once because I kept burning my fingers:( Anywho, this is what her pumpkin looked like after she completely covered it with buttons….

Great job girls!

And here are all of our pumpkins along with Emma (our girl scarecrow:D) displayed at our front door…

As I mentioned in my wreath tutorial post, I live in a condo complex. There are no windows to bring some natural light for an amateur photographer like myself. So of course, I took my display to my balcony for some better pictures for you to see…and then brought them back out to my front door for our neighbors (and the mailman) to see:D So here is a picture just for you…

I hope our pumpkins have inspired you to make your own pumpkin craft!

1. October 12, 2011  10:04 pm by momnivore's dilemma (@momnivore_) Reply

I love the little vignette by your front door. The blue is an unexpected twist...I love it. If I didn't have a two year old that wasn't so hot with navigating stairs, I would load my stairs with these beauties...

Sharing this on my pinterest Halloween page.

To celebrate all things Halloween I am hosting an epic Halloween Link Party.. Drop by if you dare...

2. October 13, 2011  5:40 am by Shannon at MadiganMade Reply

The blue and bronze is a pretty combination. And that button pumpkin is adorable, too!

3. October 13, 2011  3:30 pm by Heather Reply

That is so clever...I love them all! Very cute display:)

4. October 14, 2011  11:09 am by Sara Reply

Oh my how adorable!! I pinned this one right away! And would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party!! ;)

5. October 14, 2011  12:59 pm by Jennifer Reply

Wow! Who would have ever thought a blue pumpkin would be so beautiful?! Love it.

6. October 14, 2011  2:06 pm by Brittany Reply

What a cute pumpkin! I love it! I found you through Whipperberry. Thanks for sharing!

7. October 14, 2011  2:40 pm by Janny Reply

This is adorable. The blue color is so original and I've gotta try that spray paint glitter

8. October 14, 2011  4:45 pm by Jerri Reply

All your pumpkins look great, especially the blue one. Very creative!

9. October 14, 2011  6:18 pm by Lisa Reply

These are so darn cute, I can't pick just one that I like. I just had to share this so I have posted on my facebook page. Thank you for sharing.

10. October 15, 2011  11:51 pm by Sarah Reply

I love these pumpkin designs. I would have never thought of lace and buttons and pumpkins as going together, but they do and they go together well!
    Sarah
    www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com

11. October 15, 2011  11:53 pm by Kelli Reply

I love your pumpkin (and the other two)! So cute! New follower.

12. October 16, 2011  3:20 pm by Katie Reply

Now these are just some precious pumpkins!! They all turned out great! I especially love the vintage blue one!!

13. October 16, 2011  3:56 pm by Lauryn Reply

cutest pumpkins ever!!!
    i would love for you to link this up to the link party at my blog: flashback fridays. go check it out!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

14. October 17, 2011  2:22 am by Prissyville Reply

The things being done with pumpkins now! Before this year, ALL of my pumpkins were left orange and whole or traditionally carved. Yours are awesome! Thank you for sharing. Stopped by via Debbie Doo's Newbie Party!

15. October 17, 2011  7:20 am by debbie Reply

OK..those are the cutest pumpkins I have seen yet this season. I love them, and are happy you shared them. Have a great day.

16. October 17, 2011  11:50 am by Patricia Reply

Your pumpkins look great. I love the little vignette you put together with the three of them.

17. October 17, 2011  9:10 pm by Chris Reply

I don't think I have ever seen such cute pumpkins. You did a great job. I found and am following you through Debbie's Newbie Party and hope to visit more often. Please visit me at my blog. I would love to have you visit. Hugs, Chris

18. October 17, 2011  11:05 pm by Bonnie Reply

LOVE the pumpkins and where do you get a wimpy glue gun?? Mine delivers 3rd degree burns every time!!!

19. October 17, 2011  11:48 pm by Peggy Reply

I just love your pumpkins very unique and cute as can be. Thanks for sharing.

20. October 18, 2011  4:30 am by Carissa Reply

I LOVE that blue pumpkin. What a fun idea to not just paint it but jazz it up a bit with lace and letters.

I found you through Debbie Doo's newbie party and am your newest follower. :-)

Carissa @ Carissa's Creativity

Space

21. October 18, 2011  7:06 am by cheapcraftymama Reply

Just wanted to let you know that I am featuring you on “Top 10 Tuesday-- Pumpkin Decorating Ideas.”

Please feel free to drop by and check it out and add a button or link to your post if you want! I will be promoting it at a lot of linky parties!

22. October 18, 2011  8:29 am by Kendra Reply

Very cute! :)

23. October 18, 2011  9:33 am by ladywiththeredrocker Reply

These are so cute! Love the turquoise one! Thanks for sharing!
    Stephanie @ Ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com

24. October 18, 2011  11:39 am by Kim Reply

So cute!! I love the button one, well I love all of them! Great Job!!

25. October 19, 2011  10:04 am by andrea cammarata Reply

how fabulous are these pumpkins...WAAAAY FAB!!! love them all! take care and thanks for sharing...your newest follower -- found you over at the project queen!

26. October 19, 2011  12:56 pm by Erika Reply

Love your color choices! Thank you so much for linking up to Thrifty Thursdays :)

27. October 19, 2011  4:34 pm by Jerri Reply

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

28. October 19, 2011  10:08 pm by Kimberly Reply

Ok, really, I love them all. I pretty much gasped with love at the vintage pumpkin - so cute... and then I saw the monogram out of tacks and loved that... and then all the buttons??? Why would I never think to cover a pumpkin with buttons? How adorable!

I'd love for you to link up to my pumpkin party:

"Pumpkinspiration Party!

29. October 20, 2011  8:46 am by marilyn Reply

Sooo pretty..love this idea for the kids :)) Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..I'm Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/ and will love for you to stop in sometime...Loving your blog and off to read more :))

30. October 20, 2011  10:55 am by Tauja @ Simply Mod Mom Reply

Your pumpkins are GoRgEoUs!!! Great job-your daughter's super creative too! Very cute that you guys craft together! Love it!!

31. October 21, 2011  1:19 pm by Beth Reply

CUTE!! We always carve our pumpkins, but you have inspired me! Thanks for linking up to Living Life Intentionally Linky Party!

32. October 21, 2011  10:56 pm by MissMOE Reply

Awesome--all three of them! We have fall break this coming week and I plan to decorate for Halloween--you've inspired me to do something a bit crafty and different with our pumpkins!

33. October 22, 2011  8:59 am by CB Reply

Very cool! We might try this method!

34. October 22, 2011  12:35 pm by Kristie Reply

I love, love, love this. Thanks for the inspiration. I found you on LLI. ;)

35. October 26, 2011  5:18 pm by Marilyn Reply

Hello there, I wanted you to know I picked this adorable pumpkin as one of my favs from last week's Pin'Inspirational link party.. LOVE them.. Please stop in and grab a button :))) The post will be up tomorrow..Hope you can link up your creative goodies again..THANK YOU..:)))

36. October 26, 2011  10:18 pm by Amber Reply

Awww, I LOVE your aqua blue pumpkin. I too have an aqua blue pumpkin, but I love how you added the lace and letters. It's adorable! Thanks for sharing!

37. Pingback : daily decorator » Blog Archive » Happy Halloween!

38. Pingback : Thank You 2011, Hello 2012! « Ode to Inspiration

39. August 23, 2012  8:53 am by Amy of While Wearing Heels Reply

What a fun project that you and the girls were able to do together. My favorite, Suraya's. That turned out really great. That girl has a lot of patience. I am inspired!!!

40. Pingback : Falling In Love With Fall « How Charming, Zeeuh!

41. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Getting Ready for Fall!

42. Pingback : No Carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas | Totally Love It

43. Pingback : Fun With Pumpkins

44. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Take a Vote: Comics vs. Buttons

45. October 20, 2012  8:36 am by Maha Reply

I love all your pumpkins! But if you want a pick for the buttons vs comics I choose buttons. Such a cute pumpkin. Hey tell Suraya I my favorite is her Silver monogrammed pumpkin!

46. Pingback : No-Carve Pumpkin Ideas! « Blue Moon's Blog

47. Pingback : No-Carve Pumpkin Ideas! - Blue Moon Gift Shops

48. Pingback : I’ve Got The Monday Blues With Blue Fall Decor — MeeganMakes

49. Pingback : 19 Easy Pumpkin Decor Ideas

50. October 12, 2013  4:07 pm by Helen Aguilar Reply

GREAT JOB SWEETIE!

51. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Caramel Apple Pumpkin {And More}

52. Pingback : The Ultimate Guide to a Creative Halloween (125 Last Minute DIYs)

53. Pingback : 125 Creative DIY Halloween Ideas