Candle Jar Makeover

Monday was Suraya’s first cake decorating class. Check out her cupcakes…

She did an awesome job, don’t you think? Especially for a 7 year old! She was proud of her cupcakes, and she should be!

Her class was held at Michael’s. Before I picked her up, I went browsing around Michael’s. Really, how can I not?! You never know what inspiration will be found and of course deals! I got both on this trip!

This is what I got…

Sugar cookie scented candle jars and magnets. The candle jars were 3 for $10, and the magnets were from the $1 section. The creative juices were flowing:D With my two finds and what I had at a home, I came up with a simple and cute craft that I will share with you!

You will need the following as well…

Burlap and jute. I had wide burlap ribbon on hand, but you can use by the yard too. Go ahead and cut the burlap to the size of the jar’s diameter. I did forget to measure the twine, but basically you want it to go around four times with enough to tie a small knot. You will need a hot glue gun as well.

Step 1. First, remove the brand label. Then wrap the burlap around the jar to the back (if you are using wide burlap ribbon like I did, you will need to fold it to the proper height of the jar area to be covered) and glue the ends down. Be careful not to burn your fingers with the hot glue!

Step 2. Wrap the jute around the jar ending off with the ends in the back and knot them together. When you are wrapping the jute around the jar, you will want to keep the crisscross sections towards the back. Of course, you can cut four separate strands if you prefer.

Step 3. Hot glue one of the magnets in the center.

That’s it, you are done! See, wasn’t that so simple?

Wouldn’t they make a cute gift? As a candle lover, I know I would love them! That’s why I decided to keep this set for myself…Hehe! With a craft this simple, I can just buy some more jars and magnets to gift:D

Don’t candles look so pretty when they are lit up?

Hope you liked my embellished candle jar idea and tutorial:)

I will be linking this tutorial to these great parties. Please check out the parties, and as always, check out the other great ideas!

1. December 14, 2011  9:20 am by CREATIVE MIND Reply

Very Smart! Looking Perfect! I like burlap decorations,simply beautiful :)
    I have shared a Jewelry Hanger at my blog & i like things with Jute fabric, its fun :)
    www.creativemind.tk

2. December 14, 2011  11:04 am by Salwa Reply

How adorable! MashaAllah! :)

3. December 14, 2011  11:30 am by Hinna Reply

Cute!

4. December 14, 2011  2:33 pm by folkhavenkaren Reply

These look so nice! I just recently bought the stamps at Michael's of the wheelbarrow and the bicycle (and only $1 each!)

You daughters cupcakes are spectacular... and she's only 7?!! Watch out world... she's gonna create some amazing things!

5. December 15, 2011  4:03 pm by Rebecca Scott Reply

Oh Michael's, how we crafters can't resist thee. ;) I personally make enough trips there that they know me locally and usually ask what I'm working on. I should buy stock at this point. >__>

Anyway, I love what you've got going here. It's simple, pretty, and adds a touch more personalization than the typical jar candles we're all so familiar with. Having the labels replaced with something this lovely really helps take them from bland to beautiful.

6. December 17, 2011  5:12 am by Beth Reply

The cupcakes look great! And the candle looks super stylish now ~ WOW! You have a great eye! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I hope you have a wonderful, Merry Christmas!
    Beth =-)

7. December 17, 2011  9:10 am by Kathi Reply

Nice look...I like candles but not the big labels either, so this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing....Kathi

8. December 17, 2011  10:23 pm by Sarah Reply

Such a simple project, but such a great impact. I love candles and burlap..this idea is one I just might have to recreate.

Sarah
    www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com

9. December 18, 2011  4:42 pm by Eileen Reply

It looks awesome and easy. Just how I like it.

10. December 19, 2011  1:04 am by Stacey Reply

I agree, wrap away those jar candles. Much, much better than the original.

11. December 19, 2011  10:20 am by Lori Stokes Wright Reply

Thanks for the inspiration, these are absolutely delightful!

12. December 19, 2011  11:19 am by Tamara @ Etcetorize Reply

Both projects are great! I'm a few years older than your daughter and I know I couldn't decorate cupcakes that well. (Okay, maybe more than a few years~). Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize

13. December 19, 2011  3:42 pm by angie Reply

love the flashes of light with burlap reminds me of the first christmas where all was as it should be but so much of a layed back feeling
    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

14. December 19, 2011  5:51 pm by debbie Reply

Those candles look adorable. Thanks for sharing your links and creativity with the newbie party. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

15. December 20, 2011  5:49 pm by Christa Reply

This are gorgeous . Seems to me, it's the simplest projects that turn out the best. Found you via Homework - xo from Christa of Rhett Didn't Give A Damn

16. December 21, 2011  10:59 pm by CB Reply

Very nice--everything! I'm so glad the girls are benefiting from your awesome talent! Thank you for all you do!

17. Pingback : The Latest Trend In DIY: All Things Burlap « Lady Clever