Winter Wreath Tutorial

That’s my winter wreath! What do you guys think of it? Does it say winter to you? I loved the oval vine wreath. I thought the shape had a wintery look to it, and it was the perfect size for my door:) Want to see how I made it? Well come on! Let’s get started!

This is what you will need: Vine wreath, Snow spray, fabric flowers, b-r-r wooden letters, aqua blue acrylic paint, glitter, rusted tin snowflakes, ivory fleece or wide ribbon, and a hot glue gun.

The wreath I’m using in this tutorial is for my sister. She has a bigger door, so she needs a bigger wreath. I used a 24″ round vine wreath.

Grab your Snow and spray away! Since I had to do this project indoors, I used a large broken down cardboard box to protect my wood floors from the “snow”. I recommend protecting your workspace anyway.

Next paint your letters and add the glitter immediately while the paint is still wet. I worked with one letter at a time. The paint will act as your glue.

Now time to make the flowers. Make any flower combination of your choice. If you only want one type, that’s fine too. I made rosettes, a pom pom, and an 8 petaled flower. To make the flowers, I used ivory fleece for the rosettes and scraps of white quilt batting for the other two. I knew I wanted to work with white and ivory, and I worked with what I already had on hand. You can use white and ivory felt. I added aqua colored lace to the petal flower. The pearls can be easily found at any craft store especially at this time of year.

Get your snowflakes ready. I found a bag of these rusted tin snowflakes at Hobby Lobby for $1.50 (after the 50% off). If you are unable to find them, you can substitute them for any other snowflakes; it’s not a big deal if they are not rusted metal. I used six for this wreath.

By this time the snow and your letters should be dry and ready for the layout.

After you lay out everything, go ahead and glue away! Lastly, decide on how big you would like your bow and make it. I used the ivory fleece I had for the rosettes, and cut it out to about 5 1/2 inches wide. I started out with a long piece that was about 56″ long so to give me space to work with the size of the loops. Afterwards I trimmed the access to the length I wanted. If you have a long enough piece, you can just loop it around your wreath and tie a bow. Since I wanted to work with what I already had on hand, I didn’t have a long enough piece to first loop around the wreath, so I just made a bow and glued it on.

You’re done! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Also, if you did make one, I would love to see it!

Stop by these great parties that I link up to and check out the awesome crafts my fellow crafters have made to share with you:)

1. December 7, 2011  9:22 am by CREATIVE MIND Reply

Slam dear!
    This is just amazing! I like the glitter covered letters! simply superb :)
    All the Best *(*

2. December 7, 2011  10:41 am by CB Reply

That is really nice! Susu told me about the snow idea and we sprayed our tree with it!

3. December 7, 2011  11:36 am by folkhavenkaren Reply

Very nice! I like the oval shape... reminds me of Whoville :-) I also like the choice of "Brrr". Your wreath just makes me smile. Thanks for the tutorial!

4. December 7, 2011  10:35 pm by Kristina Reply

very cute I love it!

5. December 8, 2011  8:47 am by lovelymrsp Reply

Thank you for stopping by Made in a Day! Your blog is beautiful! I am following you back! I would love it if you would stop by and link up to my Made U Look Thursday Linkup!
    Kim@madeinaday

6. December 8, 2011  12:43 pm by Britt Reply

So pretty and creative! I love your flowers and the oval shape!

7. December 8, 2011  2:42 pm by Danielle Reply

Very pretty! Love the glitter letters! I'd love for you to link up to my Christmas Carnival.

8. December 9, 2011  6:41 am by Karan Reply

What a pretty wreath. I love the glittered letters.

Karan

9. December 9, 2011  8:56 am by Linda Reply

I'm making a wreath this weekend and was wondering what to make the bow without having to buy more ribbon so thank you for that idea, you've saved me a trip out and some pennies.

10. December 9, 2011  1:29 pm by Kei Reply

That wreath looks fabulous :) 'Brr' certainly sums up the weather at the moment!

11. December 9, 2011  8:23 pm by Jennifer Reply

Very unique. Thanks for sharing!

12. December 11, 2011  3:13 pm by Kelley Reply

HI! Visiting from Sundae Scoop! What a great winter wreath.. I love that you used the snow spray.. super cute! :)

I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party if you get a chance :)

13. December 12, 2011  1:40 pm by Laurie Reply

Beautiful! I love it.

14. December 12, 2011  3:05 pm by Linda Reply

I need to make one of these for my youngest daughter! She always says: "Brrrrr . . ."

15. December 14, 2011  12:51 pm by Tamara @ Etcetorize Reply

Great project! I love the glittery letters. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize~

16. December 14, 2011  8:26 pm by lovelymrsp Reply

I featured you on my Made U Look Thursday link-up! Come by and get a button! And I would love it if you would link up something else to my linky!
    Kim@madeinaday

17. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Love