Homemade Candle Jars

I few weeks ago I found this nifty chalkboard crate at Yankee Candles. I found it in the their clearance section (and it came with two pieces of chalk). I figured I definitely can find use for the crate, which I almost immediately did. I had been looking for gift ideas for a friend, so I decided this crate was going to go to her. Now, what should I put inside was the question. I did think I can just buy candle jars to put inside the crate. I know, not much creativity in that one. But how about this…instead of buying them, I make them! I decided I was going to make my own candle jars. I’ve never made candles before, but there’s a first for everything!

I went the candle recycling route rather buying a brick of wax. I don’t know this for a fact, but for some reason I felt that may be a better starting point. My thought process was this: Pre-made candles are already in color and scented, and I just have to melt them. Of course, since I’ve never made candles before, I have no idea what I’m talking about (hehe).

I gathered up my supplies: candles, recycled jars, wicks, hammer, knife (to use as the chisel), and double boiler (created my own by using a small pot I didn’t care too much for). It wasn’t so bad making the candles, just time consuming and messy. And just when you think you are done, you really are not. Once the candles cool and harden, you are next confronted with the voids in the center of the candles. ARGHS! I did read that voids can occur, but my voids were deep! So back to melting more candles to fill the voids and waiting for them to cool and harden. Since the first time the voids were so deep, the second time around there was a slight concave that I could have left alone but opted to fill for a completely flat surface.

Here are my tips to you if you have never made candles:

1. Do your research so you know what to expect. I did a little research, but it was a five minute research to just get the basic idea and winged the rest. Not good!

2. Do not cut your wick until the wax is completely cooled. I made the mistake of cutting the wicks because the wax appeared to be hardened even though the jars were still warm to the touch. The next morning I not only found voids, but the wicks shrunk! So I had to melt the wax in each jar to remove the wick and put a new one in. If I did my research, I may have known not to cut the wick. I would have saved time!

3. Cover your work space. It does get messy! Use things that you won’t mind throwing away if you need to.

4. Expect voids, so be sure to have extra wax.

I really love the look of candles in mason jars. The jars I used are recycled jars from marshmallow fluff and pickles. As I have said in previous posts, SAVE YOUR JARS!

Since I had to replace the wicks, it was hard to tell if they remained straight in the wax, so I hope the candle burns straight down. I guess I’ll just have to wait for my friend to tell me how my homemade candles worked! :D

Oh, just as a cute touch, I tied the chalk to the crate with lace. I always feel like lace is such a nice touch to anything that looks rustic:) Don’t ya think?

Linking up at these parties.

1. January 20, 2012  12:37 pm by shirleysms Reply

Great project and I love the container...great idea/project for crates and boxes!

2. January 20, 2012  12:47 pm by Veronica Reply

Love it, now let's experiment with the tea cups!

3. January 20, 2012  1:11 pm by Ahlam Reply

You are awesome. Great idea! :)

4. January 20, 2012  1:56 pm by Linda Reply

so cute! i have so many candles that are in need of recycling. Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda

5. January 20, 2012  1:57 pm by Susu Girl Reply

The vanilla candle smells so good! And you could of said you bought those candles and I would have believed you! Good job:)

6. January 20, 2012  10:13 pm by folkhavenkaren Reply

Love the crate, and the candles will bring your friend many hours of enjoyment. It sounds like you learned a lot from the process. Do you see yourself doing this again now that you have learned how? I've always thought it would be fun to try dipping candles, but very messy and time consuming, so I've never done it. Maybe whe Eli is older and learning about the frontier days...

7. January 21, 2012  7:35 am by Sarah Reply

Such a great idea. I bet the cnadles smell amazing. The chalkboard is so cute too! Nice find. :)

Your newest follower,
    Sarah @
    www.dottedlinecrafts.blogspot.com

8. January 21, 2012  8:29 am by kimtoomuchtime Reply

These are great-I save every jar and need to start using a few:)

9. January 23, 2012  1:33 pm by Tamara @ Etcetorize Reply

Great project! I just made some candles recently and poured a bit at a time and let it cool down a little before I added more. In the end I only had slightly concaved tops and just had to top up a bit. It's time consuming but I think in the end it's easier. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize~

10. January 24, 2012  8:26 pm by suzan Reply

very cute! love!

11. January 25, 2012  9:52 pm by Cathy@My1929Charmer Reply

I love that crate, and so wish i had one. Love that you made your candles. It's been years since I have, and do remember it being a mess. So cute to hang the chalk with ribbon. I think I might do that to mine. I hope when you burn your candles they smell more like marshmallow vs. pickles! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best party!

12. January 26, 2012  8:17 pm by Amy Reply

Maysem, I was looking for your email to invite you back over to Drab to Fab tomorrow, but I couldn't find it, so I thought I'd comment here and ask you to go ahead and link up this wonderful post tomorrow. You have so many great ideas, I'd love to see more!

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

13. January 29, 2012  10:23 pm by Amy Reply

Thank you Maysem for linking up at D2F. I hope you have a great week :)

Amy @ sugar and spice

14. February 1, 2012  4:04 pm by sahara Reply

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Mayse, I now have an original handmade gift by ode to inspiration!!! I'm finally in the loop :D

15. February 2, 2012  7:45 am by lovelymrsp Reply

Hi Maysem! I just wanted to thank you for linking up each week at my linky party! Your blog is such an inspiration to me!! Everything you do is just fantastic!!
    Kim@madeinaday