Bird Cage Makeover

Last week on Valentine’s Day I went thrift shopping. The thrift store I went to had a Valentine’s Day sale: anything pink, red, or with hearts was $1..it just needed to have a speck of any of the three and you got it for a $1. You better believe I found some fun stuff (hehe). One of them was a bird cage.

And I had the perfect spot for this cute cage. My spring mantel! But first, it needed a makeover to help it fit in:D

First, I cleaned it up and spray painted it with a fun bright yellow. I did prime it before painting it.

There was a slight problem with the cage… It opened from the bottom. That was going to make it a bit challenging to figure out what I can put on the inside and have it sit up properly. So to make it easy and working with what I had on hand, I stuffed it with vintage teal colored lace that had golden yellow specks in it. I know not much of a challenge… but the lace is so pretty and it did add a nice touch to the yellow:)

Next I embellished the outside of the cage with cute vintage teal resin flowers that I had gotten for a great deal from Pick Your Plum. I LOVE Pick Your Plum!

What’s a bird cage without a bird?! So of course I added a bird (hehe). This little guy was the perfect vintage teal color to complete the project. He originally came with a wire bow tied around his neck, but I substituted it with lace. I used temporary adhesive to glue him on in case I decide to change it up again in the future.

Now my bird cage is all ready for my spring mantel! What do you think?

Be sure to come back because I’ll be showing you more of my thirft shopping finds!

As always, linking up at these great linky parties. Come find my birdy along with some amazing crafts from my fellow crafters.

1. February 21, 2012  9:06 am by ColleenB. Reply

That is AWESOME! I love it. Great job.
    Like that style of cage as well.
    Colleen

2. February 21, 2012  9:10 am by sahara Reply

you never cease to amaze me Mayse. It came out Beautiful!!

3. February 21, 2012  10:07 am by Creative Mind Reply

What a fun creation & idea :) its filled with lace? Seems cute in bright yellow!
    Keep sharing dear Maysem

4. February 21, 2012  10:38 am by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

What a find!!...They basically gave it to you!!...and then you breathed life into it...Came out so adorable...love it...

5. February 21, 2012  10:45 am by Meeha Reply

Awesome!!! And I'm sorry if it's a repeat word but it describes the feeling accurately. The bird is rusty perfect! Thank you for pinning my umbrella gift box. If you wanna learn something about the power of traffic, I saw your pin on Pinterest even before I read your kind message! (power to the people...)

6. February 21, 2012  1:11 pm by Deidre~ Reply

What a sunshiny beautiful project! Kuddos to you:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

7. February 21, 2012  4:05 pm by Pat Reply

Great job! Love the little bird ~

8. February 21, 2012  7:25 pm by Theresa Reply

I really love your re-do! It turned out so cute. I love the spring colors, its perfect. Enjoy it on your mantel.You can find me & Link up anytime on DearCreatives.com

9. Pingback : Crafting with Thrifty Finds « Ode to Inspiration

10. February 22, 2012  10:16 am by folkhavenkaren Reply

What a fun find! I love how you have the bird perched on the outside of the cage. He's free, but likes your Spring mantel so much he figured he'd stick around! :-)

11. February 22, 2012  11:28 am by sara @ applestone drive Reply

I love the transformation! I just posted about my birdie collection here:

Come by and visit!

- sara @ applestone drive

12. February 23, 2012  7:12 am by Deidre~ Reply

What a Super POP of color! Love how you made it your own:) Deidre~

13. February 23, 2012  9:47 am by CB Reply

That is so cute. Just gotta get some real birds now ;) Oh, I don't know if they have Unique Thrift in the burbs, but every Monday they have 50 or 75 off everything in the store.

14. February 23, 2012  4:03 pm by Manuela@A Cultivated Nest Reply

That is so cute! I love the resin flowers and the bird. I used to have that exact same birdcage (I think I gave it to Goodwill). Wish I'd kept it after seeing how cute you made yours!

15. February 24, 2012  7:44 am by Andrea Reply

Shoot. Now I'm wishing I hadn't thrown away my birdcage I got tired of.

16. February 26, 2012  6:23 am by Stacey Reply

Love your bird cage! I wish I could find one like that - awesome! Thanks for linmking up! Come back this week!

Stacey of Embracing Change

17. February 26, 2012  11:45 am by MsXpat Reply

Gorgeous! And I love the colour. You must show us your mantle when its setup. Thanks for sharing.

18. February 26, 2012  1:20 pm by Jenn Reply

Love the colors! Makes me long for Spring! Thanks so much for sharing at The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring this today!
    Jenn :)

19. February 27, 2012  2:16 pm by Stephanie Reply

What a great find and your makeover is really super. Love it!

20. February 27, 2012  11:25 pm by Pamela @ InspiredByFelicity.blogspot.com Reply

I love this and I don't even like the color yellow - great job!

Thanks for linking up at my blog party, hope to see you back again next week.

-pamela, InspiredByFelicity.blogspot.com

21. February 28, 2012  1:27 pm by Jillify It Reply

Great transformation! Love the yellow! I would love it if you would link up to my party going on now!

Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

22. February 28, 2012  6:13 pm by Lori Stokes Wright Reply

Fantastic! I'm hoping to find a birdcage and yours is truly inspiring. Gotta Pin it! found you at Make the scene Monday

23. February 29, 2012  8:49 am by Cathy@My1929Charmer Reply

So cute, and love aqua and yellow together. One of my favorite memories of my Mom was her decorating skills. Creating something out of nothing. The one I remember the most was a birdcage she found, I though what the heck are you going to do with this? and kinda of had a smug look on my face - well she turned it into something so beautiful. My memories of that floaded me as I saw your post. It is lovely and I love the lace inside. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best Par.tay

24. February 29, 2012  4:49 pm by Marilyn Reply

LOVE this.. Sooo creative and cute.. I love the shabby look.. The Colors.. EVERYTHING.. Featuring ya tonight via Pin'Inspirational Thursday.. Hope you can stop in and link again tonight.. THANKS so much.. Wishing you a lovely evening.. : ))

25. March 1, 2012  11:05 pm by Amy Reply

I missed you! I'm so glad you came to party with me at Drab to Fab :) This week's party is up, so come on back with more of your fab ideas!

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

26. March 3, 2012  5:45 am by polkadotpretties Reply

Fabulous project!!!
    Thank you for linking up, hope you will stop by my blog today and link up another great project...
    Claire xox

27. April 23, 2012  6:42 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

Oh boy do I love that bird cage. Our thrift shop is pretty boring compared to all the ones you bloggers talk about all the time. Rarely find any really goodies. Doggone it
    Love the cheerful color you painted it.
    Guess I'll have to admire yours from afar.

Let Love Grow {Goodwill Chair Makeover}

Do you remember these chairs that I found at the Goodwill for $1.99? The chairs that I stole, but I really didn't. Well, not literally stole, but mind as well call it that at $1.99[...]

Upholstered Folding Chairs Makeover

I do believe that almost anything can be transformed from "blah" to "pretty". Including these ugly folding chairs. All you need is some nice fabric and spray paint.... [...]

Thrift Shop Chair Makeover

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Since we had a holiday break last week, it didn't feel like much of a weekend for me. I had to stop and think what day of the week it was to re[...]