Craft Party: Doily Wood Coasters

Hey ya’ll! How are you doing this fine Valentine’s Day morning? Did I leave you wondering in my last post? Are you ready to see what craft my guests made at my craft party? Some of you may have already guessed what it was from the last picture in that post. Did you guess Mod Podge coasters? Well, you got it right! We made doily wood coasters. Of course I had to include doilies in the craft too!

Each guest made two coasters with their choice of stamps. I had prepared the doily squares ahead of time for them, but each guest stamped their own doily. I made the doilies using my Martha Stewart puncher that I used for my doily napkins.

I’m not just here to share with you the craft we made, I’m going to show you how to make your own stamped coasters! How does that sound? If it sounds good to you, let’s get started!

Gather your supplies: wood tiles, white card stock, rubber stamps, brown stamp pad, Mod Podge, paint brush, acrylic sealant spray, and furniture felt pads. Sorry, I forgot to include the furniture felt pads in the picture, but if you are unsure what they look like you will see them in one of the step by step pictures below. Optional tool: edge punchers. If you don’t have punchers or don’t want to buy one, it’s ok. Here are some other ideas: leaving a straight edge, pinking shears, scrapbook scissors, or torn paper edge.

My wood tiles are 4″ squares, so I cut the card stock squares to about 3.75″. Then I went around and punched them. Check out my doily napkin post for a tutorial of how to use the punchers if you need help.

First thing, you will need to stamp your card stock squares. I love using the Versafine stamp pad because it dries instantaneously on card stock; no need to wait for drying. Don’t worry, I used a 50% off coupon for it! If you use other brands, read the instructions for drying time. Wait the full time before applying Mod Podge to avoid smudges.

Next, apply Mod Podge to your tile.

Place your stamped card stock on top of your tile and smooth it out making sure you have no air bubbles. With card stock, you will have less of a problem with air bubbles than with thinner paper.

Then apply your first thin coat of Mod Podge over the entire tile. Let it dry before applying your next coat (about 5 minutes for thin coat). Apply at least 2-3 coats; I like applying about 5 coats.

Once your final coat is completely dry, apply the acrylic sealant following the directions on the can.

Once dry, turn it over and stick on the furniture felt pads.

And you are all done!

I provided lace for each guest to tie their coasters together, and they took them home in their “carry all” bag!

Hope you enjoyed the craft and tutorial:)

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

I’ll be sharing today’s craft at these linky parties that can also be found on my Let’s Party page. See you there!

1. February 14, 2012  9:16 am by ColleenB. Reply

Oh, WOW, them are Awesome looking. These would also be pretty by painting the wood tiles in favorite color or even putting a stain on them but myself, I like them natural looking.
    Thanks for the instructions.
    Was wondering, how thick are your wood tiles?

2. February 14, 2012  9:20 am by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

You are incredibly talented....I just love to see what you come up with!!!..Great coasters..love them!

3. February 14, 2012  10:08 am by Kristin Reply

Great idea! Love it!

4. February 14, 2012  10:13 am by CREATIVE MIND Reply

Slams dear,
    these are so cute,,such lovely coasters!..all the best my friend!
    ~ Enjoy

5. February 14, 2012  3:36 pm by andee eve Reply

love these!!! and we are in need of new coasters...these will be perfect! thanks for the inspiration!
    xo andee
    ps visting from tip junkie

6. February 14, 2012  11:41 pm by CB Reply

Very cool!

7. February 15, 2012  10:07 am by folkhavenkaren Reply

Those are so pretty. Now your guests will remember the delightful time they spent with you each time they rest their cup on their coaster at home. That doily punch is a wonderful thing, isn't it? You weren't limited to the size or paper thickness of purchased doilies, making this sweet craft possible. Once again, a nice and clear tutorial!

8. February 15, 2012  11:08 am by Esra Reply

This was the best idea ever!!!! I had a great time and actually use my coasters:D

9. February 15, 2012  2:55 pm by Q @ JAQS Reply

I love these! SO pretty :)

Love for you to join in my linky party on Wednesdays if you get a chance :)

-Q

10. February 15, 2012  11:50 pm by Meeha Reply

This idea turned out great. I love love love the stamp designs and the little felted details on the back of the coaster :)

11. February 16, 2012  4:08 am by Johnnie Lanier Reply

These are stinkin' adorable. Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday. I think I found my feature for next week :)

12. February 16, 2012  12:38 pm by Christine Reply

I'm in LOVE with your coasters!! Thanks so much for linky up at The DIY Dreamer :)

13. February 17, 2012  9:50 pm by Justine Reply

Stopping by from the Friday Favorites Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

14. February 18, 2012  10:10 am by Renee @ Rustic Crafts Reply

LOVE these!! Such a unique idea :) I just started a brand new themed link party just for rustic and shabby chic crafts and decor. I would love to have you share this - http://rustic-crafts.com/?p=5388

15. February 19, 2012  9:22 am by MsXpat Reply

Aww how cute and easy :0)

16. February 19, 2012  7:22 pm by Carrie Reply

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! Have a wonderful week!

17. February 21, 2012  3:15 am by Rukmini Roy Reply

Fantastic! Love this Idea of coasters.

Visiting from Sunday's best :)

Cheers and happy Spring.

18. February 21, 2012  1:32 pm by Q @ JAQS Reply

I featured this great project today :)

Thanks for joining JAQS Studio "Made by ME" Linky party!

19. February 22, 2012  8:17 am by Amy Clark Reply

Those are fantastic. I love how simple and organic looking they are.

20. February 22, 2012  7:14 pm by six sisters Reply

These are so cute! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for linking up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back next Saturday to share more great ideas! -The Sisters

21. February 22, 2012  10:28 pm by Sarah Reply

These are gorgeous and so simple! Thanks for sharing at Dwell on Fridays. By the way, I just love the design of your projects and blog!!!

22. April 28, 2012  11:27 pm by modpodgerocks Reply

Very very cool! I love your particular stamps as well.

23. April 29, 2012  9:18 am by beckyboyer Reply

These are so stinkin' cute! Just wondering what stamp set you used? I'd love to have it!

24. April 29, 2012  6:41 pm by Tarnished Rose Reply

Wonderful! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Where did you find your tiles?????

Smiles~