Rustic Yellow Birdhouse

Hello everyone! I’m so excited to show you what I did with the $.67 birdhouse I shared with you in the last post. If you forgot what it looked like, just click here for the before picture.

Here’s the after shot…

TA DA!

First thing I did was glue it on a piece of oval wood (from the bargain wood set I told you about here) to help it stand properly. Then I painted it and stenciled it just like the shutters.

Except I gave my birdhouse a good beating! In my defense, I wanted it to look rustic but with texture, so I painted it with a few layers. First two layers were yellow… next two were aqua and then more layers of yellow. Then I just went crazy with the sandpaper! (hehe) What helped build the texture is I didn’t wait for it to be 100% dry… certain parts of it were still slightly wet….majority of it was dry. Sanding slightly wet paint (layered paint) gives it a lovely “beat up” texture! Disclaimer: I didn’t read that anywhere, it was just my own experimentation. I didn’t have anything to lose except $.67 cents and some layers of paint :D

From an old yellow skirt, I cut a piece of crocheted lace for the roof and glued it on. I was thinking doilies before I came across the old skirt in my “things to donate” pile… the lace from the skirt was perfect! I love that it adds a vintage touch to it.

Hey, is that a bird I see?

Why yes! It’s the little birdy I made just for this little birdhouse. I had some clay on hand, so I thought why not! (hehe) Isn’t he cute?

Fly, birdy, fly! You are free to fly… or stay awhile if you would like!

I hope you enjoyed my little birdhouse and birdy:)

As always, I will be linking up at these linky parties.

1. February 23, 2012  9:35 am by Kim Reply

They are both adorable!

2. February 23, 2012  9:48 am by Molly Reply

I LOVE this! Perfect for Spring! Pinning it right now :)
    -Molly

3. February 23, 2012  9:53 am by Carol Taylor Reply

I look forward to your spring mantel display!!!

4. February 23, 2012  2:43 pm by Randi Reply

I really love your blog. Handywoman. I do all the makeovers in our house by my self too. It is fun to do things you never thought you could do.
    Feel free to visit my handy blogg. I write in Norwegian, but I try to translate to English for the foreign followers. (I can even do better :)
    Nice to visit you and I'll be back.
    Randi
    Norway.

5. February 23, 2012  4:37 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

Another great creation....Your talents never cease to amaze me...again and again!
    So very cute...love they way you wrote "Fly"....

6. February 23, 2012  7:33 pm by ColleenB. Reply

I must say, You Do have the Talent in creating some wonderful DIY projects.

7. February 26, 2012  7:04 am by Anne Reply

Love your birdhouse! Bright & beautiful!!

8. February 26, 2012  8:38 pm by Stacey Reply

Cute stuff! Love that yellow! Please come back this Thursday to link up again!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

9. February 27, 2012  8:15 pm by Mindy Reply

I love the addition of the little cute birdie to your bird house:) Thanks for the nice comment about my felt flower tutorial and for stopping by!!

10. February 27, 2012  10:50 pm by Karen Whitney Reply

Absolutely adorable! Such vision you had to take that .67 birdhouse from drab to fab. Your little birdy is the perfect addition!!!

11. February 28, 2012  11:04 pm by Sarah Reply

I absolutely love this color! I have a bird house project that I keep putting on the back burner but you have inspired me to make it a priority :o) Sarah @ Repeat Crafter Me

12. February 29, 2012  8:45 am by Tara Reply

so sweet! I'd love for you to link it up at my linky party. You could win $25 of free fabric just for linking up or leaving a comment:http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2012/02/linky-31-will-craft-forfree-fabric.html

13. February 29, 2012  10:15 am by Rachel Reply

So cute!!! I am tweeting this now!!! thanks for sharing! xoxo

14. March 2, 2012  12:22 pm by Christine Reply

Thanks for linking up at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality linky party! :)

Christine
    xoxo

15. March 2, 2012  4:55 pm by Laura Reply

I love how this turned out. It is so cute.

16. March 2, 2012  6:17 pm by Angie R Reply

I love birdies!!! This is too cute..

thanks for linking up at Create & Inspire!

17. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Spring Mantel