Meet Gabriel

Meet my two and half year old nephew Gabriel.

Don’t you just want to eat him:P He is the happiest, funniest, sweetest, silliest, smartest, most loving, lovable, friendly little boy I know. He LOVES to socialize and talk and talk and talk! He also gives the best hugs on the planet!! He’s my little buddy whom I love with all my heart!

Gabriel was born with Spina Bifida. Before Gabriel, I was not familiar with this disability. For those that may not be familiar with it, it’s the failure of the spine closing properly in the first month of pregnancy. This leads to varying degrees of paralysis amongst other problems. Gabriel is paralyzed from the knee down. He will always have to wear braces, but whether he will be able to walk without a walker is unknown at this time. For more information about SB, you can visit Spina Bifida Association’s website.

This past weekend, the Spina Bifida Association of Illinois had a bowl-a-thon around the Chicagoland area. I attended the one in my area on Sunday with Gabriel, his mommy and daddy (my brother), his big brother [Daniel] and baby sister [Sofia], Susu, Suraya, grandparents, and friends. We all had a great time! This was Gabriel’s first time bowling, and boy did he love it!

Ready… Set…

GO!

No matter how slow that ball was moving, he patiently would watch it until it reached it’s destination. No matter how many pins got knocked down, it was high fives all around!

His best bud Suraya stood by him to cheer him on!

After all the energy used up to push that ball, it was time to refuel! Gabriel LOVES to eat and LOVES food! Don’t you dare try to take his food away from him! It’s not often that Gabriel gets to eat pizza or other high calorie foods. Children with SB are monitored closely by a nutritionist. Their weight can effect their ability to walk, and what they eat is important to build their strength. However once in a while yummy treats like pizza, cake, or donuts are okay:) My sister-in-law keeps track of Gabriel’s calorie intake, so when she knows that high calorie foods will be served at a party or special event (foods that Gabriel loves like cake or pizza) she’ll make the proper adjustments in his meals for the week.

And now it’s nappy time.. Bowling and eating can be quite exhausting ya know! Don’t judge the pacifier folks;) One day, I had convinced him to throw his pacifiers away, which he so proudly did, but it turns out there was one in a secret hiding spot..LOL!

Gabriel is an inspiration to everyone that is in his life. He’s an amazing child that brings light to our hearts. If you were to meet him, I guarantee you will fall in love! Love you BIG time buddy!!

1. April 16, 2012  9:32 am by sahara Reply

I love hime already!!!!

2. April 16, 2012  9:36 am by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

Just adorable Maysem!!! He is such a special child...a true inspiration!

3. April 16, 2012  9:37 am by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

What a beautiful tribute to a gorgeous little boy! It looks like you all had a blast together for a great cause. Does your brother live close enough that you can spend time together often, or was this an extra special treat? I can't help but imagine that it would be fun to see Eli and Gabriel playing together. :-)

4. April 16, 2012  9:59 am by Wendy @HerBallistic Garden Reply

Beautiful! He's absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your special moments with us. xo wendy

5. April 16, 2012  10:33 am by Amenah Reply

OMG! Can't believe how big and beautiful he's gotten!! He's so easy to fall in love with :)

6. April 16, 2012  10:42 am by Jenan Mohajir Reply

He's such a cutie! I love him :)

7. April 16, 2012  10:42 am by Aziza Reply

Gabriel, Khalto Aziza loves you ;)

8. April 16, 2012  10:57 am by Salwa Reply

This was one of my favorite posts! mA he is sooo adorable! I can't believe he went bowling without the kid side covers; I used those my whole life! lol!

9. April 16, 2012  11:13 am by Amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Reply

What an increidbly sweet post about what looks like not only an adorable but sweet little boy. With an amazing perspective, all the people that are in his life have, this little boy is going to have all the advantages and more that life has to offer.

10. April 16, 2012  11:14 am by ColleenB. Reply

Oh, he is just Adorable

11. April 16, 2012  11:32 am by cb Reply

he is so cute, ma, and the pictures really capture what looks like an awesome day for him!

12. April 16, 2012  11:41 am by Maha Reply

Love him!

13. April 16, 2012  12:17 pm by Erika Reply

Gabriel is an absolute doll! And no worries about the pacifier. We never used them and my son now sucks his thumb--yuck!

I featured your tray post in today's It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising. Thank you for linking up.

Erika

14. April 16, 2012  9:55 pm by Deborah Reply

What a sweet little boy! He surely is an inspiration. So glad he got to go bowling.

Deborah

15. April 17, 2012  4:08 pm by MsXpat Reply

Aww he's so sweet, so brave and strong. Truly and inspiration.

16. April 18, 2012  8:06 pm by Sarah Reply

What a sweetie!

17. April 22, 2012  3:05 pm by Lyuba Reply

Oh my gosh! He is so adorable! He has a great smile!!! Thank you for sharing!