Old Sewing Machine, New Pillow

I did it! I sewed with my new vintage sewing machine! I hand cranked that baby, and a pretty pillow was born! I must give kudos to all those amazing women in the past that had to hand crank!

The most challenging part was trying to figure out how to wind the new thread on the bobbin. It turns out the owner’s manual I found was not for the same exact model 99 that I have. It took a little bit of time to figure out how to wind that bobbin, but with some trial and error I eventually did. Yay!

Sewing the pillow together was pretty much smooth sailing with only a couple hiccups. One thing I couldn’t figure out was backstitching to secure the beginning and end. Of course, after giving up on the owner’s manual, I didn’t think of doing a simple Google search. In my defense, I was too excited to get working on my project and frankly had enough with the researching. I just wanted to play! Anyway, I did research after I was done and sure enough I did go about backstitching all wrong..Oops! At least now I will be prepared the next time I decide to sew with my vintage machine.

I was able to adjust the thread tension for even top and bottom stitches. This makes up for the backstitching, right? :P

And there you have it.. my first vintage sewing machine project! What do you think?

I cut out the E with my Silhouette. Can’t say it enough.. I LOVE my Silhouette! I did have a few bumps sewing on the letter. Not sure what was going on, but when it came to sewing the front and back pieces together there were no problems.

The final touch were the fabric rosettes which were hot glued onto the pillow.

It was a real thrill to sew with a 1928 Singer sewing machine hand crank style! So much more exciting to be able to show that I made something with it. Hmm.. now I just wonder who can I give this pillow to;)

Linking up at the parties listed on the Let’s Party page.

1. April 27, 2012  9:07 am by ColleenB. Reply

You done Good and think the pillow turned out really awesome

2. April 27, 2012  9:57 am by erahima Reply

Omg I'm sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!

3. April 27, 2012  12:56 pm by Mindie Reply

Very pretty pillow. Thanks for your sweet comment on my tape measure bracelet. If you want one I would be happy to send you one. If you would be willing to write a short review post on my shop, I will send it for Free just have you pay $3.00 for shipping. They are actually black and white, I know a lot of folks seem to think they are pink, I think it must be the different monitors. I have some pink tape measures on order, so if you wanted a pink one I could make that too. Just let me know if you want one. I will probably have some left after the 4th of July that will go in my shop, but I would hate to make you wait for no reason. Happy Friday and just email me if you want me to send one your way.

4. April 27, 2012  2:19 pm by Cathy@My1929Charmer Reply

Oh gosh I love your pillow! I have a very old Singer sitting in the other room which I have not pulled out and used since I bought it. Thanks for the inspiration that given me the spirit to go try her out!

5. April 27, 2012  5:51 pm by Maha Reply

Love the fabric you had chosen for the letter.

6. April 27, 2012  7:06 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

I think it is beyond cool that you are putting that machine to actual use. You go girl! The pillow looks great!

7. April 27, 2012  9:36 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

Your pillow is awesome and my middle name begins with E (lol). I'd be happy to pay you for the pillow and to ship it to me. Love it, love it. You really done good girl. Makes me wish I hadn't gotten rid of my Mom's old machine. Your pillow turned out so good. Is that burlap you made it out of?
    And what in the heck is a silhouette? Is that like a die cut machine? Not too up on the fancy stuff, I've never seen one at any of the craft stores here. Are they expensive? From the things I've seen that people say they use one for I could sure use one for my projects. Have a great weekend.

8. April 27, 2012  9:52 pm by Amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Reply

E is for excellent pillow :). I am really impressed that you used this beautiful old sewing machine. You created something equally as beautiful. I am also impressed you figured out how to use it. I would not have been so diligent.

9. April 27, 2012  10:00 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

Well you persevered and won!!...Amazing job on the pillow while hand cranking the machine..unbelievable...the pillow turned out fantastic...Bravo!!!

10. April 29, 2012  4:57 pm by Lauren Reply

Your pillow looks great! I am in love with the fabric you used too! Thanks for sharing at A Pinteresting Party!

11. April 29, 2012  10:21 pm by heather Reply

your pillow case turned out great!
    Thanks for sharing at Sunday Round Up.
    xoxo
    Heather

12. April 30, 2012  12:03 am by Katie Reply

This turned out so great! And I love the rosettes!

13. April 30, 2012  5:29 am by Amie @ Pinkapotamus Reply

I just adore this! I love any sewing machine.. just wish I was better at using them! I hope you will stop by my Pink Hippo party and share your crafty goodies! http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/04/pink-hippo-party-77.html

14. April 30, 2012  11:32 am by Jen Reply

Really pretty! I might have to make one, thanks for sharing!

15. April 30, 2012  5:59 pm by Four Sisters Reply

This pillow is spectacular! The color combination is so pretty!

Thanks for joining our Beautify It Monday link party, We hope you'll be back next week!

-Four Sisters

16. April 30, 2012  10:25 pm by Rachel Rockwell (@BubblyNature) Reply

I love this! Perfect color combo! I have a vintage sewing machine too and love it! Thanks for linking up! xoxo- Rachel

17. May 1, 2012  1:47 pm by kush Reply

There is a lot of women in India that still use these sewing machines....

18. May 2, 2012  10:33 pm by Jenilyn Reply

Gorgeous pillow and I love your sewing machine! I would love for you to link this up to "I Made This" at Grits & Giggles!! http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-made-this-3.html

19. May 3, 2012  8:18 am by Haydee Reply

Beautifully done...I have a very similar sewing machine and I'm a little scared of it, but this gives me inspiration to let go of the fear and go forth and create!

20. May 3, 2012  10:46 am by Sarah Reply

This looks great! Thanks so much for sharing this over at The Winthrop Chronicles!

21. May 3, 2012  7:11 pm by six sisters Reply

The pillow is absolutely adorable. Great job with the amazing sewing machine! We loved having you come to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back again soon! -The Sisters

22. May 4, 2012  12:13 am by Angie Ramirez Reply

So Lovely!!!!! And you sowed on the vintage sewing machine!!? Awesomeness!

23. May 4, 2012  11:07 pm by makinglemonadeblog Reply

Beautiful! Especially love the yellow fabric flowers, they are the perfect touch.

24. May 7, 2012  3:23 pm by Stacey Reply

Hello beautiful pillow!
    Great job with your new toy :o)
    Thanks for linking up -
    Stacey of Embracing Change

25. May 7, 2012  6:36 pm by Christine Reply

Yay for the new ''old'' sewing machine!!!! The pillow is so pretty!!

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!! :)

26. May 7, 2012  6:44 pm by Jenny Reply

I love the rosettes. The color is perfect. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

27. Pingback : Crafty Scrappy Happy Me. {33} and features from last week!

28. May 11, 2012  12:41 am by Candace Reply

SO CUTE!!! I'm going to feature this on scrappy saturdays this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

29. May 25, 2012  11:42 am by pillowsalamode Reply

W-o-w! Beautiful! Thanks for the great idea!

30. Pingback : 116 Homemade Pillows DIY | Rilane - We Aspire to Inspire

Vintage Inspired Gauchos

It's no secret that I love anything vintage and anything vintage inspired. A few months ago, I had received vintage style fabric as a gift from a dear friend of mine... a friend th[...]

Recycled Sweater Baby Doll

I love making the gifts I give. Whenever I need a gift for someone, I immediately start thinking of what I should make. However, for bridal or baby showers, if someone has a regist[...]

All Scraps Baby Blanket

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has developed a mountain of fabric scraps from sewing projects... and in some cases, non-sewing projects. I save all my scraps... almost to the t[...]