Tablecloth Turned Placemats

I’ve been on the hunt for cute wipeable placemats. Cloth placemats just don’t cut it. With all the washing they get, they start to fade, shrink, and lose their shape. I did try bamboo, but I wasn’t happy with that either. Food gets stuck in between the cracks and spills seep through to the table. I’m trying to protect my nice wood table and bamboo is not cutting it! I love the woven vinyl placemats because they are wipeable, but it’s the same problem as the bamboo in that spills seep through to the table. I was willing to settle for the vinyl, and found some nice ones from Bed, Bath, and Beyond except not in the color I really wanted. I did settle for a color that carried me through the fall and winter, but it’s just too dull for spring and summer. My table is shouting for some color!

This is what I found on a trip at Target last week…

A teal printed wipeable tablecloth. As soon as I saw it, I thought placemats! And that’s exactly what I made out of it…

I used the measurements from an old placemat to make my new ones. I cut out strips from the left over tablecloth (there was plenty left over), ruffled them and sewed them on each side of my new placemats. Prior to attaching the ruffles, I did try ironing each placemat from the backside to get the fold lines and wrinkles out that were created from the manufacturer’s packaging. The original lines and wrinkles did come out, but instead new ones were created..ha! So I let them be and hopefully overtime they will go away on their own… I hope! The wrinkles don’t look so bad, do they?

I’m excited about my new placemats! Perfect for spring and summer! What do you guys think?

In case you were wondering about the cake… That’s my fake cake that I made a year or two ago. I have fooled a small few with it..hehe! It’s actually a storage box so the lid is removable. No secret treasures in there just yet!

I hope you liked my placemat idea! They can be found at these linky parties!

1. April 25, 2012  9:27 am by Amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Reply

Thanks for sharing your secrets about your cake. It looks good enough to want to give a little finger swipe to in order to try some of that frosting. I would have been utterly disappointed. The tablecloth turned placemats are BRILLIANT.

2. April 25, 2012  10:02 am by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

What a great idea...and your cake...oh you are the tricky one...it looks fantastic!!

3. April 25, 2012  10:26 am by Jenan Mohajir Reply

Can you be my mom? Mine's too busy taking care of my kids to do cool things like this... lol

4. April 25, 2012  11:28 am by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

You had me completely fooled by the cake. My mouth was already watering as soon as I saw the photo! The place mats look great... I can't believe you can get such a nice ruffle from vinyl!

5. April 25, 2012  4:28 pm by Christine Reply

These are GREAT!!! i just bought fabric yesterday to make placemats.. I love the idea of the ruffles on the sides!!!

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

6. April 25, 2012  6:43 pm by ColleenB. Reply

Plates mats looks awesome as well as that cake of yours.

7. April 26, 2012  10:14 am by Marilyn Reply

This is such a great idea! LOVE it!

8. April 26, 2012  11:45 am by michellerday Reply

Hi,

I followed you over from Live Laugh Rowe Link Party and this is such a great idea. I have quite a few tablecloths I don't use anymore that could be turned into placemats.

I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

Have a great day,
    Michelle

9. April 26, 2012  5:37 pm by rookno17 Reply

So clever and beautiflly done! I love the ruffles. Tweeting and pinning your post.

Jenn

10. April 26, 2012  7:38 pm by Molly Reply

Excellent idea! I'm going to have to be on the lookout for a tablecloth I like to try to do this. Thanks for sharing!

11. April 27, 2012  12:40 am by JaneEllen Jones Reply

HI there Many times tablecloths are a better alternative. How clever of you to figure that out and see the potential. I've used tablecloths for curtains and they worked out so good. Still use them at times. Loving that color, so rich and springy. Glad for you to find a great bargain. One other little thing you could do with extra - make little pockets for the utensils and napkins.Happy, happy.

12. April 27, 2012  10:20 am by Kelli Reply

Thanks for your sweet comment, Maysem! Isn't that tablecloth so wonderful? I totally would have made placemats if my tabletop was as beautiful as yours! But it was a project gone awry that I gave up on for now and decided to just cover up. ;) And I LOVE your cake! I might need to copycat it...

13. April 27, 2012  1:28 pm by michellerday Reply

Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week.
    I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

14. April 28, 2012  7:59 pm by Aimee Lane (@Its_Overflowing) Reply

Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

XO, Aimee

15. April 29, 2012  1:32 pm by Taylor @ Goings on in Texas Reply

So fun! I love the ruffled edges! I would love for you to share this with my "Unveil Your Genius" link party.

Happy Sunday!

16. April 29, 2012  4:59 pm by Lauren Reply

How awesome! I love the storage cake too! I need to make one. Thanks for sharing at A Pinteresting Party!

17. April 29, 2012  10:20 pm by heather Reply

LOVE YOUR PLACEMATS! I want to make some like this. I have fabric that has chickens on it and this is what I am going to make with that... even though you used a tablecloth :)
    Thanks for sharing at Sunday Round Up.
    xoxo
    Heather

18. April 29, 2012  10:47 pm by etcetorize Reply

Great idea! And I never would've known that was a fake cake...you're so tricky! Thanks for linking up at Etcetorize~

19. April 30, 2012  12:40 pm by Julie @White Lights on Wednesday Reply

Is it bad that I came by for the place mats (and think they're really cute), but totally got sidetracked by the cake in the last picture? :)

20. April 30, 2012  6:03 pm by Four Sisters Reply

We love those ruffles - they gave the place mats that little something extra to make them stand out!

Thanks for joining our Beautify It Monday link party, We hope you'll be back next week!

-Four Sisters

21. April 30, 2012  6:38 pm by Jenny Reply

I love the placemats from the tablecloth. Thank you so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

22. April 30, 2012  8:07 pm by Stacey Reply

I love this idea - and they turned out so pretty!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

23. May 1, 2012  8:20 am by Angela @TheNotSoFunctionalHousewife Reply

What a great find! Beatuiful tablecloth and your placemats turned out great... loving the ruffles! I didn't even notice the wrinkles. :) I was looking at the cake thinking... how pretty is that cake?! Didn't even realize it wasn't real!

24. May 2, 2012  7:02 pm by Carrie Reply

What a great idea!! Your placemats turned out wonderfully! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you are having a fabulous week!

25. May 2, 2012  8:18 pm by lovelymrsp Reply

Stopping by to let you know I am featuring your place mats & that fantastic cake tomorrow! I love that cake and want to make one!!! Please tell me how!!! Did you post it anywhere! I would love it if you would stop by and link up again!
    Kim@madeinaday

26. Pingback : Made U Look Linky #23 –

27. May 3, 2012  10:46 am by Sarah Reply

I am in serious need of some new tablecloths! Thanks for the idea!

• May 3, 2012  10:47 am by Sarah Reply

I mean placemats ;) But I could use some new tablecloths too!

28. May 3, 2012  10:49 pm by Amy Reply

So fab, Maysem! As always, I love the way you think!
    Thanks for sharing this last week at Drab to Fab!!
    Here's the link to this week's party. Come on back and share your fabulousness :)

Have a great weekend.

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

29. May 4, 2012  10:59 am by Kara Reply

Those are adorable! I love the little ruffles!

30. May 4, 2012  11:35 pm by Lauren Reply

I just wanted to pop back in and let you know you are one of the featured links this week! http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/05/pinteresting-party-with-guest-host-from.html

Thank you for linking up!

31. May 5, 2012  4:32 pm by Sarah Reply

This is a great project! And for only $4.99!!! That's why I got myself a sewing machine...thanks for reminding me with this awesome project!!! Thanks so much for sharing at Dwell on Joy, friend!!! P.S. Love the fake cake...had me sooooo fooled!

32. May 22, 2012  9:44 am by lovelymrsp Reply

I am talking about your fabulous cake today on Made in a Day!