Teacher Appreciation Week: No. 2 Pretzel Pencils

Teacher Appreciation Week is next week, so this week I want to share some gift ideas with you. I’ve been seeing so many adorable ideas out there especially involving school’s favorite yellow writing tool.. the good old reliable No. 2 pencil! I’ve seen cutely packaged real pencils as well as in edible form like cookies and candy. I started thinking what other form can I make an edible pencil. Pretzels… but of course! I know I’m not the only one that has come up with this idea, so I set out to search to see what others have done. Surprisingly I only came across a couple of sites with the idea… I’m sure there may be more out there and maybe not with proper tags for Google to find them. From what I found, my favorite ones were from Parents Magazine’s website. Super duper cute!

I gathered my supplies and went off to work!

At first I wasn’t going to roll the pretzels in the chocolate like the instructions that Parents Magazine say to do and had planned on dipping the pretzels instead. Then I realized two things: 1. Rolling them will give them a thinner coating instead of a bulky one that dipping them can give, and 2. For dipping you would need 2-3 bags to fill a tall tupperware or cup, when all you really need is one bag. So to avoid wasting chocolate (and $) I went with the rolling method. Of course, if you feel more comfortable with dipping, dip away!

Oh, by the way, be sure to add vegetable oil to thin out your chocolate. Parents Magazine instructions tell you do so too.

After all the pretzels have been rolled in the yellow chocolate, and once they are dry, it’s time to make the “erasures”! I used a cookie cooling rack for this part so I can let the “erasure” ends hang from the edge allowing any access chocolate to drip off.

The final step, piping on the pencil details in green. This part was much easier and faster than I expected. Overall, these “pencils” were fast and easy to make!

They may not be as perfect as Parents Magazine’s “pencils”, but I still love the way they came out!

Now on to packaging them. I will share that with you too, but in another post. Come back to check it out!

What are some ideas that you have for Teacher Appreciation Week?

Linking up here.

1. April 30, 2012  9:25 am by Creative Mind Reply

Wao :) these are perfect dear Maysem!
    All the best !!

2. April 30, 2012  9:49 am by ColleenB. Reply

Now them are just darn right cute and I'm sure the teachers will really appreciate them.

3. April 30, 2012  10:36 am by Amy Reply

These are so cute!! I'm looking forward to seeing how you package them! :)

4. April 30, 2012  12:16 pm by saynotsweetanne Reply

GAH! I cannot get over how FREAKING CUTE THESE ARE! These are possibly the most adorable thing I've seen done to pretzels. You could easily make them for an Art School graduation, a coloring party- ALL SORTS of things! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! And if you have the time, I'd love for you to share on Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-3/

• April 30, 2012  12:20 pm by saynotsweetanne Reply

Ugh, copy/paste burned me there. I should have ended at THANKS for sharing on Sweet Sharing Monday. =D I love seeing all of your beautiful projects. =D

5. April 30, 2012  12:42 pm by Laura @CookiecrumbsandSawdust.blogspot.com Reply

Maysem,

These turned out really cute! Working with candy coating isn't as easy as it looks. I'm especially impressed with the green piping. My writing always turns out looking worse than a Kindergartener. Kudos.

I'm visiting from the Sweet Sharing party. I would love if you stopped by my blog. (You'll notice I don't have any candy crafts posted, because mine aren't blog worthy!)

Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

6. April 30, 2012  2:25 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

What talent and hand/eye control you have. Those are so awesome. I'll watch while you do your magic ok? I'm afraid what they'd look like if I attempted that, I have no patience for things like that. Makes me so hungry too.

7. April 30, 2012  4:45 pm by Maha Reply

I like them. Good job!

8. April 30, 2012  5:52 pm by The Partiologist Reply

Love the pencils!!! Such a cute idea and any teacher or student would LOVE them!!!

9. April 30, 2012  8:32 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

Super cute, and who doesn't like chocolate covered pretzels?!

10. May 1, 2012  9:53 am by Shantalle Reply

These are AWESOME!! And they are just as good as Parents Mag. So cute, and healthy!!

11. May 1, 2012  9:56 am by Claire Reply

I was so intrigued by the Link Party photo because I thought it was real pencils in the image. These are so much fun and every teacher I know would be thrilled to receive such a fun, thoughtful gift.

12. May 1, 2012  12:25 pm by Sara Blake (@CleverPirate) Reply

These are really cute and would definitely be great as a gift for a teacher! Thanks for sharing, stopping by from Todays Creative Blog linky :)

13. May 1, 2012  2:27 pm by Adrienne Reply

So cute, I'll have to get the candy team to add this this summer for grads

14. May 1, 2012  5:54 pm by Four Sisters Reply

These are adorable!

Thanks for joining our Beautify It Monday Link Party!

-Four Sisters

15. Pingback : Teacher Appreciation: Chalkboard Pencil Holder « Ode to Inspiration

16. May 2, 2012  9:30 am by Cheryl@ Sew Can Do Reply

So clever and cute!! Great job - would love for you to link this to my Craftastic party:)

17. May 2, 2012  9:37 am by Cheryl@ Sew Can Do Reply

I see it's already there - thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

18. May 3, 2012  10:43 am by Sarah Reply

These are amazing! Such a cleaver idea, seriously! Thanks for sharing this over at The Winthrop Chronicles!

19. May 3, 2012  12:29 pm by Shiloh Reply

So cute! Pretzels and chocolate are so yummy! Your teachers are going to love this.:)

20. Pingback : Sweet Sharing Monday Wrap Up « Sweet Anne Handcrafted Designs

21. May 3, 2012  3:21 pm by saynotsweetanne Reply

Thank you SO MUCH for linking up! I chose these as my favorite in the Sweet Sharing Monday Wrap Up! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-wrap-up-3/

22. May 4, 2012  12:03 am by Tally Reply

I think they look absolutely wonderful! Fun idea. :)

23. May 5, 2012  2:46 pm by Rachel Rockwell (@BubblyNature) Reply

Wow!!! These are so amazing!!! I really thought they were pencils at first until I read the description! LOL Thanks for sharing! xoxo- Rachel

24. May 6, 2012  6:41 pm by Cheryl@ Sew Can Do Reply

You've been featured at this week's Craftastic party. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

25. May 6, 2012  11:39 pm by Brittany Reply

These are awesome! Can't wait to make them for my kiddos!

26. May 7, 2012  3:21 pm by Stacey Reply

How cute! THey would make a great gift!
    Thanks fot linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

27. May 7, 2012  6:34 pm by Christine Reply

This is PERFECT!!!!! Such a cute and original idea!!

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!! :)

28. May 7, 2012  6:43 pm by Jenny Reply

A-mazing! They are so cute and who can resist chocolate covered pretzels. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

29. Pingback : » Time-Wasting Tuesday Ramblings of a 20-Something Wonder Woman

30. May 9, 2012  11:24 am by Mindie Reply

These are so cool! Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

31. May 9, 2012  5:16 pm by heather Reply

Such a creative idea!
    Thanks for linking up to our Sunday Round Up link party. Hope to see you again this weekend :)
    xoxo
    Heather

32. May 10, 2012  7:33 pm by A Lapin Life Reply

Your pretzel pencils are adorable!
    Dee

33. May 10, 2012  9:43 pm by Carrie Reply

Oh, how fun!! As a former teacher, I love it! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having a wonderful week!

34. May 10, 2012  10:13 pm by Lauren Reply

These are amazing! I would love to get these as a gift if I were a teacher! Thanks for sharing at A Pinteresting Party.

35. May 12, 2012  11:40 am by lindyharnarain Reply

How darn cute are these!? I hope you will link up to my Teacher Appreciation Linky Party!

36. May 12, 2012  5:28 pm by heather Reply

Just wanted to let you know I am featuring this today, over at the Sunday Round Up! Come grab a feature button :)
    xoxo
    Heather

37. May 22, 2012  8:06 pm by pillowsalamode Reply

So cute! And I'm a teacher, so double hooray! :)

38. Pingback : 12 Sweet School Themed Treats to Celebrate the End of the Year - Kids Activities Blog