DIY Vintage Tinted Jars

I did a little experimenting with tinting glass to make them look vintage. If you’ve been following my blog, you may know I love anything vintage or vintage looking. Also, you may have figured out that I love mason jars and that I always recycle jars. There all sorts of things… practical and beautiful things… that can be done with jars. One of them is tinting them to look like their vintage counterparts, the tinted Ball jar.

I have been wanting to tint jars for some time, but I just never got around to it until a recent simple project arose. That project has nothing to do with the jars… the only relation it has is the glass tinting concept. I’ll be sharing that project in the next post because today it’s all about the experiment!

Using recycled jars I tried out three different tinting methods that I found on the web. The first method is the dyed Mod Podge. For this method you need Mod Podge, water, and food coloring. For the how to, I used the tutorial I found over at Craftberry Bush. The next method involved Martha Stewart’s pearlized paint and baking the jar in the oven. I found this idea over at Pitter and Glink. For the final method I used Pebeo Vitrea 160 glass paint and oven baking. I found this idea over at Martha Stewart as well as Bridal Buzz. (Side note: The Pebeo Vitrea 160 is currently on clearance at Michaels for $3.99!)

Here are my results.

This one is the Mod Podge method. I like the way this jar came out. I did wipe those drip marks afterwards and they came off fairly easily with a wet paper towel.

The jar on the left is the second method using the Martha Stewart pearlized paint. This jar didn’t turn out so great because the paint brush strokes were obvious even after baking. Hmm, wonder if it has to do with the paint brush I used because Bethany’s (of Pitter and Glink) cupcake stand came out fabulous! The pearlized paint was neat but it’s not the transparent look I was looking for.

The yellow and green jars are the result of the third method. The yellow jar did turn out better than the green. For the yellow jar I just painted the inside of the jar, whereas the green was painted inside and out. The yellow barely had any visible streaks, while painting the green on the outside did leave some more obvious streaks. I know the streaks are not as obvious in the picture, so you will just have to take my word for it:D However despite the streaks, the green jar still looks great!

Overall, I have to say the third method was my fave with the Mod Podge method being a wonderful alternative!

Have you ever tinted glass of any sort? If so, what method do you like to use?

Linking up at the parties that can be found on my Let’s Party page.

1. May 16, 2012  9:16 am by Pippa Reply

Hey, coming over from the diy dreamer. A very nice set of jars, its good to see someone doing some comparisons.
    Im sure that the glass paint jars will be better wearing, if you plan to use them for something that has water in it etc.
    Are they food proof or not?

2. May 16, 2012  9:39 am by ColleenB. Reply

your jars look awesome. How pretty these would be by putting a candle inside or even a bouquet of flowers. Also would be pretty done in pastel colors and used for Easter.
    Have never tinted jars myself but seeing yours, you got me in the notion to give it a try...........someday that is. Projects like this is more of a winter project for me.
    Thanks for the idea and including the links as well
    This is one project that I will be saving for future use :}

3. May 16, 2012  10:05 am by ide-puffen Reply

What a great idea. I liked the third method the best too:))
    Randi

4. May 16, 2012  5:00 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

I love how you experiment and share the results with us. I bet the glass must look almost jewel-toned when the sun hits it. At least the non-pearlized jars. I grew up in a house that dated back to the late 1700's or very early 1800's in rural New York State. Down an embankment behind the house and under a crab apple tree was a place where long before the people had thrown out their trash. We would find little 100+ year old medicine bottles that were a gorgeous cobalt blue with just a little digging. I was told by an uncle that they had originally been clear but had changed color due to a chemical reaction with something in the soil where they were buried. I have my doubts about how true that might be, but they sure ere beautiful. I still have a couple. Anyway, your post reminded me about them and how fun and exciting it was to find them. :-)

5. May 16, 2012  5:05 pm by Doreen H. Reply

OK, so it's time for me get out a few of those recycled jars I've been cleaning and saving all these years, and try my hand at tinting one or two. I'll let you know how they turn out! Thanks for the kick in the....inspiration department!

6. May 16, 2012  8:28 pm by The Partiologist Reply

Oh my, these turned out so beautiful! I love the colors, I may have to give it a try someday! :)

7. Pingback : DIY Vintage Cake Stand « Ode to Inspiration

8. May 18, 2012  5:33 pm by Jenifer Harrod Reply

This was very interesting. I would love to have jars in different colors. So pretty are they.

9. May 18, 2012  9:17 pm by smallwoodtalk Reply

Great job! I have been mildly hoarding jars, for whatever reason. Can't way to try this! (Stopping by via TT&J)

10. May 19, 2012  11:52 am by Michele Reply

Your jars look wonderful. I've never tried tinting glass before, but now am anxious to. I wish I'd read this when I ruined a red glass vase trying to get the price label off it.

11. May 19, 2012  11:39 pm by kim@too much time Reply

Thanks for sharing your experience with all three methods. I think I am going to try the mod podge since I have all of the ingredients on hand. But I really love how the yellow and green with your 3rd method turned out too!

12. May 21, 2012  9:23 pm by Stacey Reply

Very nice :o)
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

13. May 22, 2012  6:00 am by Christine Reply

I have a few mason jars that I want to tint! I want to do a few yellow and was thinking of a gray.. do you think gray would work?

Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you link up this evening!

14. May 22, 2012  12:30 pm by kayla Reply

I've seen this idea multiple places & I think it looks so neat. Your's turned out really pretty thanks so much for sharing at Sunday Round Up! Hope you have a great week :)
    -Kayla :)

15. Pingback : Pin’inspiration For The Week

16. May 24, 2012  10:06 pm by Amy Reply

This is great. I'm glad that you have done all the work and now I can give it a try with confidence on how it will turn out!

Thanks for linking up with me at last week's Drab to Fab! Hope you'll come back this week and link up again. I love seeing what you're up to!

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

17. May 25, 2012  11:48 pm by Rachel Reply

I really like the yellow and green jars! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

18. May 26, 2012  2:00 pm by Tonia @ The Gunny Sack Reply

Thanks for sharing at The Gunny Sack! I wanted to let you know that I featured you today! http://www.thegunnysack.com/2012/05/who-was-stuffed-in-gunny-sack-week-38.html

19. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Thanksgiving Vignette