Mother’s Day: Anthropologie Inspired Vase

If you know my mom, other than her plants, you know how much my mom loves her 1980’s Italian ceramics. You will find her collection throughout the house. Growing up, you better have been very careful not to touch… actually not to get too close to her lovely ceramics. Boy did my siblings and I hate them… and we certainly still do! Sorry mom! LOL!

For all the Anthropologie lovers out there, I’m sure you recognize these vases. Anthropologie actually came out with them last year but still carry them. Now, the moment I saw these vases, I immediately thought of my mom’s ceramic collection… but of course Anthropologie’s version [to me] are much nicer than their 1980’s counterparts. Ssh, don’t tell my mom I said that;) Nevertheless, they did remind me of my mom and her ceramics! I actually LOVE these vases!! I’m not saying this because I pretty much love anything Anthropologie.. but because I truly think they are beautiful. Of course the colors and design is what attracted me to these vases.

Considering what my mom paid for her ceramics back in the day and considering Anthropologie’s typical store pricing, the cost of these vases is actually not so bad ($18 for the smaller vases and $28 for the larger). I did contemplate on buying one when they first came out, but decided to hold off. The crafter in me told me that just maybe I can make something similar to them. I didn’t have a game plan, but it was a thought that has lingered since then.

Back in November, Brandi over at Blue Cedar Lane shared with us her version of the Anthropologie vase. I love the way her vase came out and love the route she took to make it. Go stop by and check it out! Since I saw her post, I’ve been on a hunt for a vase similar to the vase she had found. However, fast forward to May and still no luck. Yes, I did think of borrowing one of my mom’s, but I don’t think she would have approved… besides it would be smarter to sell them seeing how much they are going for now a days. Don’t ya think?!

I actually did forget about those vases until recently as I was contemplating what to do for Mother’s Day. The Anthropologie vases came to mind but thought they would be more meaningful if I made them. The idea was back on and this time I had a plan! Ready to see my knock off?

This is what I used to make my vases (I made 2):

• Clear glass flower vase (I bought mine for $1 from the Dollar Tree)
  • Paint
  • Clay (I used oven bake clay)
  • Glaze (I used Folk Art’s Clearcote Extra Thick Glaze)
  • Towels
  • E6000 Glue

First step…

Clean off your vase from any debris and remove the labels from the bottom.

Pour the paint into the vase and swirl around until the whole vase is covered with paint. Turn upside down to allow excess paint to drip. Tip: Before turning it upside down to rest, do allow as much of the excess paint to drip in the paint container (if possible). Also, once flipped, move the vase around about every 15 minutes. You don’t want too big of a puddle forming under your vase. After about an hour I turned the vase right side up and allowed the paint to air dry.

While the vases are drying, we will be making the flowers. Yup, you heard me right! We are going to be making our own flower, so grab your clay and let’s get started.

If it makes you feel any better, when it comes to clay I really don’t know what I’m doing, so the method I may be going about is most likely not the traditional way of working with clay. I’m just going about it the way I would with fondant and gum paste (minus the water/edible glue). Does that make you feel better? No? Well, let’s keep going anyway. :P

Roll out a small ball and form into a tear drop shape. This is the bud of your flower.

Roll out another small ball of clay and flatten it with your fingers until you get a petal like shape. Initially I had used a spoon to help me form the petal, but realized after doing about four of them it was unnecessary (so you will see spoons in the following pictures; ignore them).

Wrap the first petal around the bud. Then make another petal and attach it. Keep doing this until you have formed a flower. With each layer of petals, make them slightly larger than the next. Form your petals as you go.

When you are done, your flower should look something like this.

The bottom of your flower may look like the picture on the left. If it does, just take off the excess clay and flatten out the bottom so you have a flat surface to glue on to the vase.

Bake it in the oven following the instructions on the clay package. I baked my flowers for 45 minutes.

After you bake your flower and it’s cooled, spray it with the glaze. I did two coats.

By the time the glaze on your flowers is dried up, your vases should be all ready to go (if not, just wait until they are). To help your vases stay put, place towels underneath them. Then take a wash cloth and lay it across the indented part of your vase. This is going to help prop up your flowers and keep them in place until the glue dries.

Apply E6000 glue to the back of your flower and position your flower to your vase. I placed my flower on the very top of the vase right below the indent. You can use the Anthropologie vases as reference for a better idea. You may need to adjust your towel. Make sure that the towel doesn’t come in contact with the glue. Let the glue dry overnight.

Ta Da! You now have your very own Anthropologie [knock off] vases!!

I’m loving them! I think I will be making some for myself too!

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. If you have any questions, please let me know. Also, I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

As a side note: These vases are intended just for decorative purpose, but if you want to use them for real flowers, paint the outside of the vase instead (I recommend gloss spray paint). With the paint on the inside, the water can cause the paint to peel.

Visit my Let’s Party page to find out where I’ll be sharing my Anthropologie inspired vases.

1. May 9, 2012  9:39 am by Sahara Reply

Mayse! These are so nice. The things you create are simply amazing!

2. May 9, 2012  9:50 am by Micha Reply

I love the mint one with the red chrysanthemum from Anthropology...wonder how hard that flower would be to make? Your vases came out very nice!

3. May 9, 2012  12:35 pm by muna Reply

I can relate to your mom's ceramics,,,boy did i hate our moms' choice of furniture and home decor in general! I love the vases you made...so simple and affordable! Thanks for sharing!

4. May 9, 2012  12:53 pm by Emily Morgenstern Reply

I love it! SO pretty and such a great knock-off. I've eye-balled those vases for ages. Very pretty, but not a pretty price-tag! I love your version!

5. May 9, 2012  1:36 pm by Monica Reply

These are beautiful and I love them! I wish I could make some right now for myself-thanks for sharing!

6. May 9, 2012  1:57 pm by Kate Reply

Those are beautiful and so creative! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at Pin It and Win It Wednesday at www.cheapcraftymama.com-- where you can win free ad-space on my blog!

7. May 9, 2012  2:48 pm by Maha Reply

l love how they came out!

8. May 9, 2012  5:00 pm by Creative Mind Reply

awesome...wonderful post :)
    I made some small flowers for jewelry & I was working with polymer clay,there I use mod podge gloss for the shine & its perfect..you can also try..
    Thanks for sharing!

9. May 9, 2012  5:19 pm by lifecoachmarie Reply

Hey, I am giving you the "One Lovely Blog Award" for your awesome blogging goodness. Here's a link to my site with details and the image for your blog: http://mariewetmore.com/2012/05/09/wowzah-the-one-lovely-blog-award-for-my-little-blog/

Thanks for always pushing me to think.

-Marie Wetmore

10. May 9, 2012  8:41 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

Wow...Wow...fantastic Maysem!!! So love them...!

11. May 10, 2012  8:40 am by Katie @ Quality Cheap Home Reply

These vases are amazing. I would love for you to link them up to my party @

Nice job!

12. May 10, 2012  11:05 am by Michelle Reply

WOW these are Gorgeous! I would love to make some for Mother's Day but I think I am running out of time. Maybe birthdays this year. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

13. May 10, 2012  3:03 pm by happyhomemakerme Reply

Brilliant! I love it. So pretty! I love Anthro, too. I don't own anything from the shop, but I love walking through it and dreaming :)

♥ Bethany

www.happyhomemaker.me

14. May 10, 2012  4:42 pm by Michaela Reply

Amazing! I've been crushing on these vases since Christmas time. I love how you made your own (and so affordably!).

15. Pingback : mother's day ideas, diy, crafts

16. May 10, 2012  5:20 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

These look great! It amuses me to think about how much the big wigs at Anthropologie must hate the whole DIY blog scene and their knock-offs. Especially for some of the more ridiculously priced items. You really pulled off these vases so well! Definitely Anthropologie-grumble-worthy. :-)

17. May 10, 2012  5:24 pm by Vanessa Reply

I absolutely adore these vases. I must make some of my own!!! I've featured these on my weekly blog shout-out...please stop by and take a look! Thank you! http://therookieseamstress.com/2012/05/10/trs-blog-shout-out-3-mothers-day-edition/

18. May 10, 2012  6:22 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

HI Maysem So very pretty and such a great technique, wonderful tutorial. Makes me want to try to do that. You are so darned talented, it makes me happier every time I see what you've made. Thanks for sharing a great project.
    I got a neat pickle jar the other day and thought I'd try to paint the inside of it and put something on outside to cover up their mold details on outside of jar. I actually got
    15 pickle jars, just one of the smaller ones described above.
    My husband asked me what in the heck was I going to do with them, he tried to snag one for making sun tea. No way Jose, those are mine. Some people at the craft show last Saturday were giving away. Wish I'd gotten all of them now as nobody else wanted them. Have no way of finding person who gave them away, doggone it.
    Well I'd better get outside to go thru more junk for our yard sale on Saturday. Waiting til it gest shady out in back of yard where all shed stuff is. Yesterday we were out there for about 4 hours, I was going thru all the Christmas stuff, I had 7 boxes of Christmas decos. I actually took even more later on to put in sell pile from keep pile.
    What a mess, sure hope we can sell all of it or at least enough to make money we need. What we don't sell will be going to the thrift store, not going back into shed. Worked too hard to clean that shed out. Been at this now for about 6 weeks and I'm really sick of it. Only good thing is that it gets us outside.
    Hope you have a wonderful HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, your Mom too.

19. May 11, 2012  10:24 am by Jodi Reply

These are fabulous. I just pinned them. What a beautiful result. Great job. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

20. May 11, 2012  5:41 pm by Tanya R. Reply

These are AMAZINGLY COOL! I love the tut, tons of detail and this project is beautiful. I am a new reader, creating over at http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com - Tanya :)

21. May 11, 2012  7:08 pm by mksharingthelove Reply

I love this. Do you know I think even if the paint was all jaggered in the bottom and clear at the top it would still look cool. Like one of your pictures. I will definitely be doing this. Thank you for sharing. Followed over here from 36th Ave

22. Pingback : Anthropologie Inspired Vase – Perfect for Mother’s Day! · Indie Crafts | CraftGossip.com

23. May 12, 2012  6:59 am by A Lapin Life Reply

Your vases are beautiful! Very clever idea.

Dee

24. May 12, 2012  7:51 am by tsurutadesigns Reply

LOVE this...thanks so much for sharing...PINNING it:)

25. May 12, 2012  5:03 pm by Amanda @ Watch Out, Martha! Reply

This are so awesome! I'm always up for a good knockoff :)

I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s link up party: Martha Mondays (every Monday through Wednesday)! Hope to see you there!

26. May 12, 2012  9:49 pm by Jamie Reply

These are great! I never thought about painting the inside only of a glass piece. Great job!

www.HoldingAngels.blogspot.com

27. May 13, 2012  4:27 pm by kayla Reply

What a great idea! Your vases turned out so pretty! I love that this was so inexpensive too! Thank you for sharing at sunday round up! have a great week!
    -kayla :)

28. May 13, 2012  10:03 pm by Jenn@eatcakefordinner Reply

I have been wanting a vase like this. I had no idea you could make your own - you should sale these! Way cute.

29. May 13, 2012  11:54 pm by heather Reply

your vase turned out great! Love how your flower looks. I have some clay that I think I give this a try with.
    Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can't wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
    xoxo
    Heather

• May 15, 2012  12:01 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

Was watching Martha Stewart show last week, it seems she has a new kit with her own clay that makes flowers with molds. Might be pricey but will look to see if our Michaels in Grand Junction has the kits and how much. I'm not that good with my hands anymore so need some help. The molds worked great from what I observed.

30. May 14, 2012  9:28 am by Rose Reply

I love this so much you did a wonderful job. I will be featuring this on my sight xest week. I'll keep you posted as to when it goes live. Thanks for sharing this @ The Sunday Round Up.
    Hope to see you again next week.
    Rose

31. May 14, 2012  11:36 am by Rose Clearfield Reply

What an awesome tutorial! Thanks for the great photos.

32. May 14, 2012  8:15 pm by Stacey Reply

Those vases are so pretty - thanks for sharing them!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

33. May 14, 2012  10:35 pm by Sumo Reply

Beautiful! I can't wait to make some!

Thanks for linking up!

Sumo:)

34. May 14, 2012  10:52 pm by Mandy Reply

Absolutely gorgeous! Loved the way these turned out. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing them at Project Queen's Link Party.

35. May 15, 2012  9:51 am by Brittany Reply

These look great! Thanks for sharing them over at Project Queen. I've been eyeing those vases at Anthro for a while now. I can't wait to try it!

36. May 15, 2012  7:27 pm by Six Sisters Reply

This vase looks so cute! Totally want to try this! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next week! -The Sisters

37. May 15, 2012  10:56 pm by etcetorize Reply

I have to say, I like yours much more than the originals! They turned out awesome. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize~

38. Pingback : Made U Look Linky #25 –

39. May 17, 2012  6:12 am by lovelymrsp Reply

Stopping by to let you know I am featuring you today! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Kim@madeinaday

40. May 17, 2012  9:50 am by Melissa @ Loving this {crazy} life! Reply

So so so cute! I want to make these! Thanks for linking up to last weeks party! I have another one up and running today. Looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

Hope you're having a great week!

XO, Melissa

41. May 17, 2012  11:45 am by Beth @ Free Stylin' Reply

I can't believe you just talked me into doing this. Your tutorial was so thorough and easy to understand that I now feel like this is something I can try. Darn you!! ;) Thank you so much. I would have never guessed this is something I could do. Can't wait to make my own. :)

42. May 17, 2012  10:04 pm by Amy Reply

Yes!!! How fun!

Thank you for linking up with me last week at Drab to Fab!

Come on back by and share more of what you have been doing :)

Have a great one!

Amy@Sugar and Spice

43. May 18, 2012  7:16 am by Rose Reply

Your being featured today! Come see and grab a button.
    Rose

44. May 18, 2012  11:41 am by Carrie Reply

Oh, yours came out beautifully!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having a wonderful week!

45. May 21, 2012  12:35 am by Mandy Reply

Hi Maysem, I will be featuring your beautiful vases tomorrow night at Project Queen's Highlight Party. I love them!

46. May 21, 2012  9:50 am by CB Reply

I'm sure your mom loved them. And a belated happy mother's day to you!

47. Pingback : Welcome To Link Party Highlights #31 – “Turning the Daunting Into the Do-Able”

48. May 24, 2012  9:59 pm by Amy Reply

These are completely darling! You are so clever and talented!!

49. May 25, 2012  11:07 am by tishA Reply

You could also make plastic spoon flowers. They may be a little easier than the clay and shinier.
    However, Yours Look Great!

50. June 3, 2012  10:15 pm by melissa Reply

Beautiful!!! I LOVE Anthropologie, but not their prices. They are a great source of inspiration. I would never have thought of a way to duplicate them. Yours are great! I am going to give that a try!

51. Pingback : Overflowing with Creativity Features #21 : Its Overflowing

52. August 28, 2012  11:16 pm by manal Reply

These are pretty Cute!!!

53. Pingback : 25 DIY Anthro Inspired Knock-Offs

54. October 8, 2012  7:01 pm by Susan Reply

These look beautiful - awesome job! I wouldn't recommend spraying with the Triple Thick gloss though. In about 6 months, it will react with the polymers in the clay and will become very very sticky and stay that way. There are volumes dedicated to what works on polymer clay - not very many products do, unfortunately.

55. Pingback : No Sew Snowman (tutorial) Guest Post - Craftionary

56. February 4, 2013  5:16 pm by Dixie Casey Reply

When you painted your vases, did you just use regular store paint from like Home Depot, or a special craft paint? Also, I have heard that a triple glaze will eventually react with the clay. Do you know of something else to use for the glaze?
    Your vases are beautiful

57. February 14, 2013  11:25 pm by DawnLyne Gustafson Reply

Wow! Thank you for something so completely different! I'm definitely going to try this, they really are beautiful. Your tutorial was great, makes me believe I can actually do this, even making the clay flowers! Thanks so much for sharing such creative genius with those like me who love crafting but come up a little short in the creative brainstorming part.

58. Pingback : 35 DIY Flower Vases (Creative tutorials) - Craftionary

59. Pingback : Anthropologie Inspired Vase | Copycat Crafts

60. May 11, 2013  4:27 pm by Aries Parker Reply

woooonderful...daaaaling! I LOVE IT!

61. June 1, 2013  1:56 pm by taiyyaba Reply

Maysem, these are so beautiful! I haven't yet been brave enough to work with clay but if this is the result, i'll try!

62. June 6, 2013  4:05 pm by Ashley Reply

What kind of paint did you use?

63. Pingback : 38 Anthropologie DIY Hacks

64. Pingback : Anthropologie Flower Vase | Shimmeroo

65. Pingback : Anthropologie-Inspired Flower Vases | Things To Do Yourself - DIY

66. August 2, 2013  10:46 pm by Natalia Reply

I was wondering what kind of paint you used"?

67. September 23, 2013  2:16 pm by Manal Reply

What kind of paint did you use for this? I have a project lurking in my head.

68. Pingback : 25 Creative Flower Vases DIY Tutorials | Buzz + Inspired

69. Pingback : Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Make Anthro-Inspired Floral Vases

70. Pingback : Make Anthro-Inspired Floral Vases | KM Crafts

71. March 28, 2014  6:28 pm by ofakohaloha Reply

Love it! I have been meaning to make this for a long while now after I saw a YT vid on it, she used artificial flowers then glued it on and then applied 2 coats of spray paint and then gloss. However I like the solidity of the polymer clay and the fact you can change up the color. Thanks so much for sharing :) I plan to make a few of these...

72. Pingback : Anthropologie Hacks | MY DIY ANGELS, DIY and Extreme Couponers