Target Dress Makeover

In less than a month we have a family wedding. My husband’s brother is getting married, and of course Suraya is the flower girl! I really had no intention of making anything because I felt like making a flower girl dress may just be out of my league. I had planned on buying an already made beautiful dress. Then one day as the girls and I were shopping at Target, we were browsing the girls’ clothing section and came across a dress. It wasn’t really that great of a dress but I saw potential in it. This is what was going on in my mind: Can I… No.. I don’t know… Maybe… Hmmm… It turns out I was having those thoughts out loud! Yeah I sometimes do that without realizing it. Hehe. Susu talked me into it. She told me that I can make anything look beautiful. Aw, that was so sweet and touching. At least I had one person’s vote of confidence! Also, I looked at this way… The dress was only $19.99, so if I screwed it up it wasn’t that much to lose. Right? And if it was a success, how awesome would it be to say I only spent $19.99 on Suraya’s flower girl dress!

Wanna see how it came out?

Here’s the before shot…

The dress was an XL, so as you can see it was quite big on Suraya. The reason I was iffy about getting the dress is that I had to take it in and I’ve never done alterations before except for shortening pants. I dislike even shortening pants so I surely was not looking forward to taking in a dress. I would rather make something from scratch than do alterations! All the taking apart, measuring, remeasuring, remeasuring, cutting, and then putting back together with hopes that I got it right. I’m just not the alterations type of gal. I admit, I’m intimidated by alterations.

I did consult my friend Sahar who is a bit of an expert when it comes to alterations. An expert who also dislikes doing alterations. Heh, go figure! ;) Does anyone like doing alterations? Quite a few sewers have told me they don’t enjoy it and some have said they don’t do it… which does make me feel a bit better to know I’m not alone;) Anyway, I explained to Sahar what I needed to do, and she told me how to go about it. Sounded simple enough!

First thing I did was get rid of those two sad looking tulle flowers and the sash. Then went to work to taking in the sides and lifting up the dress by shortening the straps. It wasn’t as bad as I expected! Then I added my own sash and flower.

Eek, I’m so excited to share my Target dress makeover! Ready? Here it is….

Since the tulle was pink, I thought it would pop more with a pink sash rather a white. And it couldn’t have been more perfect that I already had a pink sash on hand! I had made this sash for another outfit that I made for Suraya but I opted to go without it for that outfit. It was just meant to be for this dress! For the flower, I was trying to imitate the idea of this Nordstrom dress that I absolutely love! I wasn’t exactly sure how to go about it until I saw this beautiful flower pillow over at Twigg Studios. Aimee shares how to make the flower. Thanks Aimee!

I also got a bolero to go with the dress. I found it at H&M.

The sleeves on the bolero were too long on Suraya, so I shortened them and added pink pearl buttons. I was trying to create a faux fold look, but the fold ended up looking like a cuff after I sewed them which I actually like better anyway! I removed the original white top button and swapped it with a pink pearl button as well.

Suraya wanted more puff to the skirt part of the dress. What little girl doesn’t love more fluff! I do love it for flower girl dresses, so I did support Suraya’s choice:) I used the pettiskirt that I had made for her Halloween costume and added two more layers of netting.

For the sash, I added snap buttons to go around to help it stay in place. I also added one on each of the loops of the bow to help keep them up instead of flapping down.

Suraya surely felt like a princess in her new dress! Can’t you tell? ;)

I did enjoy seeing this dress come together, but it doesn’t mean I’ve changed my mind about alterations. I’m still not the alterations type of gal. Sorry alterations! :P

How do you guys think I did?

I’ve also made Suraya a flower hairclip and flower girl basket which I’ll be sharing this week. I must admit though, I am liking the headband that she is wearing in the pictures above (randomly bought that from Target). It could be my back up! Well, be sure to come back so you guys can tell me which hair accessory you think I should go with.:)

Linking up HERE.

1. May 21, 2012  9:08 am by ColleenB. Reply

Oh my goodness. That is absolutely Gorgeous and she does look like a young princess.
    You done a great job Can't imagine what a dress like that would cost at a bridal shop.

2. May 21, 2012  9:08 am by Micha Reply

You did such a great job! Both the dress and your daughter are beautiful...

3. May 21, 2012  9:28 am by Nola Reply

Excellent job! Suraya truly looks like a princess!

4. May 21, 2012  9:30 am by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

That dress went from "eh..." to "BEAUTIFUL!!" Suraya indeed looks like she feels like a princess, and she should as she really looks like one as well. Beautiful! (Oh, I already said that... but it really needed to be said again.) :-)

5. May 21, 2012  9:37 am by thebeadden Reply

You just turned a $19 dress into something special! What a fantastic job!

6. May 21, 2012  9:43 am by Sarah Reply

Stunning! That is really impressive!:)

7. May 21, 2012  9:45 am by CB Reply

Wow! That is beautiful! Lucky girl.

8. May 21, 2012  10:29 am by Erica Farr Reply

You did it! The Nordstrom dress has nothing on your dress. I love that sash!

9. May 21, 2012  10:37 am by Kay Reply

Very beautiful

10. May 21, 2012  11:04 am by Amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Reply

That turned out beautiful. I am IMPRESSED. When I need something tailored, I am calling you :). How sweet that Susu convinced you that you could do it. You really can make anything look beautiful. On a side note, I feel honored to be among what seems the minority in your life with a name that doesn't start with the letter S.

11. May 21, 2012  11:21 am by Creative Mind Reply

Superb Meysam...you are brilliant...the dress seems super nice..Suraya must be feeling lucky to have you talented lady :) All the best and Jazak Allah..
    What about susu's dress??

12. May 21, 2012  11:37 am by blissfulsewing Reply

This is a great idea,thanks for sharing!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

13. May 21, 2012  12:53 pm by julaybeeba :) Reply

MAyse!!! it came out BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

14. May 21, 2012  3:38 pm by Maha Reply

Very beautiful! Impressive work! Your creativity was outstanding! I love the pearl buttons!

15. May 21, 2012  4:03 pm by mksharingthelove Reply

Oh Maysem you've done a fabulous job. I don't like alterations either. Love the special pink button touch on the cardi too such a perfect compliment to the dresses details. Thanks for sharing, it gives me hope in the sewing alterations dept :)

16. May 21, 2012  7:55 pm by suzan Reply

love! It turned out super cute!!

• May 22, 2012  10:19 am by Kim Reply

Great job! It's gorgeous! Suraya is lovely, too! :)

I would love it if you had time to share this at my new linky party:

Thanks!
      Kim

17. May 22, 2012  6:54 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

WOW girl, what a fantastic job you did. Don't know how anybody could have done it better. Your daughter is so pretty and sweet looking. Bet she is so proud of her dress and her Mom. Things happen for a reason and didn't it all fall into place? So happy for you both. Now you can tell people at the wedding how you fixed up her dress for a princess if the conversation lags, even if it doesn't . Doesn't doing such a good job give you courage if you need to do it again? I can still remember the flower girl dress I wore for my cousins wedding when I was about 8 or 9. What a beautiful name your daughter has also. I'll look forward to seeing the accessories.

18. May 23, 2012  10:01 am by Salwa Reply

mA Maysem, you did it again! I'm so impressed with how you transformed the dress, especially with the little detailing such as the as the flower and pink pearls! She's going to look adorable at Ahmed's wedding mA!

I hope one day you'll like alterations so you can help me with mine, :-(, lol!

19. May 24, 2012  1:28 pm by Crafty Cousins Reply

Super cute. The colors are fabulous. I'd love for you to link it up to Crafty Cousins-- http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-i-wore-sunday-week-16.html

~Natalie

20. May 24, 2012  9:19 pm by Liz Reply

Awwww...you did such a great job and it looks like she just loves it. I found you at the Functional Friday Link party.
    Liz

21. Pingback : Satin Flower Hair Accessory « Ode to Inspiration

22. May 25, 2012  1:04 pm by bethcaron Reply

I am in awe! It looks like you DID buy this dress from Nordstrom. And those pink pearl buttons finished it perfectly What a beautiful dress for your beautiful daughter. :)

23. May 25, 2012  11:44 pm by Rachel Reply

I am totally loving that sash! It just makes the dress! Amazing job. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

24. May 26, 2012  4:05 pm by Emily Morgenstern Reply

Amazing!! What a transformation!!

And, you're daughter is beautiful! What a pretty dress for a pretty girl!

25. May 27, 2012  3:47 am by Tani Reply

What a stunning makeover!!! It looks so professionally done - great job!

26. May 28, 2012  7:18 am by Amber @ Recipes We Love Reply

That turned out fantastic!!! My daughter is going to be a flower girl this fall and I wish we would have seen this post before we ordered her dress!!!

27. May 28, 2012  7:41 am by Stella B's Kitchen Reply

Great job!! I'm visiting via It's Overflowing. Come say hello sometime at my blog,

28. May 28, 2012  6:08 pm by Mandi, the Sassy Fit Mom Reply

Amazing! Wow, I wish I was so creative. It looks very similar to that Macy's dress.

Great job!

29. Pingback : do something crafty #42

30. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Zombie Bride Costume

31. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Whimsical Feather Apron