Easy Baby Blanket Tutorial

Since I’ve been sewing for only a few years, I feel like I have no business doing a sewing tutorial. But I think I can manage showing you how to put together a simple baby blanket. I’m going to share with you my go to method for a quick and easy baby blanket. Here it goes, my first sewing tutorial!

I made this baby blanket for my husband’s sister. She recently had a baby boy. I had purchased a gift for the new member of the family, but also wanted to make something that hopefully will be a keepsake for a long time to come. Baby blankets are definitely a favorite gift of mine to give. All it really takes to turn this simple baby blanket pattern into something fabulous is the right fabric… one that makes a statement on it’s own!

For my main fabric, I used this beautiful fabric from Michael Miller’s Peacock Lane Collection. As soon as I saw it, I just had to get it! I thought the color combination and print were definitely something that would make a baby blanket stand out. For the backside of the blanket, I used the teal plaid fabric. I used the ivory flannel as the batting. I normally do use regular batting (the natural batting is my preference), but I wanted to make a lighter blanket that can be used throughout the summer months.

I used a yard of each fabric. You can make your blanket any size you would like.

First thing is to wash and iron your fabrics (I don’t iron the batting). I admit I sometimes do cheat on this part if I’m in a rush. Ssh don’t tell the sewing police…whoever they may be;)

Once your fabric is ready to go, place each layer on top of each other with the right sides of the front and back fabrics facing each other.

Pin your three layers together leaving an opening to turn your blanket inside out. I tend to leave a 4-5 inch opening, and I use double pins as my markers of where to begin and end when sewing the layers.

Now sew all three layers together beginning and ending at your opening markers. I use a 1/2″ seam allowance. Be sure to backstitch at each end.

Once you are done sewing, clip your corners. If needed, clip your edges as well. Then turn your blanket inside out, pushing out the corners.

Fold in the raw ends of your opening and with an iron press the fold.

Top stitch 1/4″ inch from the edge all the way around the blanket starting on the side of the opening. Start at the corner and end at the same corner.

Your blanket is all done! Wasn’t that simple?

Now fold it up and tie a ribbon (or two.. or three!) around it if you would like. Your simple yet fabulous baby blanket is all ready to be gifted!

If you do have a tag like I do and would like to add it, sew it on prior to sewing your layers together. I always place mine on the “backside” fabric near the bottom corner.

I hope my tutorial was easy to understand. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Linking up HERE.

1. June 3, 2012  10:17 pm by melissa Reply

Fantastic tutorial! You look like you are a master seamstress! Beautiful fabric! And, I love how you tied the ribbon and folded back the edge for the final picture!

2. June 7, 2012  2:10 pm by Micha Reply

I nominated you for The Liebster Blog Award! (I'm sure you have more than 200 followers though!) Congrats...

3. June 11, 2012  5:57 am by Laura @ House Of Joyful Noise Reply

Love it! Handmade gifts are so special, and I am sure this one will be forever. No doubt your nephew will always feel the warm love you put into it. : )

4. June 11, 2012  10:44 am by katiejakubs Reply

I love the fabrics you used!! They are so pretty!!

5. June 11, 2012  2:15 pm by Tamara @ Etcetorize Reply

Wonderful gift! You're right, sometimes, all it takes is the right fabric and even the simplest of projects becomes super personal. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

6. June 11, 2012  8:24 pm by Erika Reply

What a beautiful baby blanket, I do not know much about sewing, but this piece is inspiring, I will definitely try it out for my friend's baby. Thank you for sharing.

7. June 15, 2012  3:58 pm by Rachel Reply

Love that fabric! Great tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

8. June 24, 2012  1:08 pm by Rita Reply

LOVE IT! So easy ... thanks much!

9. September 10, 2012  10:01 am by Leila Reply

beautiful!!! so simple and love the fabric you chose.

10. September 17, 2012  6:58 am by Jeannie Reply

After coming across this on Pinterest, I knew I had to make it. I decided the day before the baby shower I was going to that I was going to make it. I did and she loved it. Thanks for a super easy tutorial for beginners like me!

11. Pingback : Making Baby Blankets «

12. January 25, 2013  11:42 am by Dimitri Reply

Wow! First tutorial or not, you did a great job!! You made it look so simple, it gave me the courage to try it out myself and I am NOT an seamstress! Great Job!!

13. Pingback : Minky baby blanket | sew.organized.blog

14. May 6, 2013  1:50 pm by April Montes-Hamm Reply

This won't fall apart as you wash it if you use regular batting? You don't have to tie it? Awesome.

15. May 6, 2013  2:16 pm by April Montes-Hamm Reply

Thanks for the easy tutorial. Just made one in about an hour and they're cute.

16. September 8, 2013  9:01 am by ChoofieBabyBlankets Reply

Great tutorial! I love seeing your process - of course I've made baby blankets, but I usually have folded the backing up and over. . . thanks for sharing :)

17. November 4, 2013  2:46 am by Lynn Reply

This was so easy to follow - it literally saved my sanity to finish baby quilt before she was done
    One question why don't you have to tie off the quilt so the batting doesn't bunch
    Thanks again

18. January 13, 2014  12:59 pm by Organic Baby - Yes! Reply

Great DIY Baby Blanket! So easy and so versatile - I used organic cotton fabrics and I love the finished product. Thank you!

19. March 6, 2014  3:46 pm by Diane Moss Reply

PERFECT! I've searched and searched for an easy simple baby and way to to a simple edge.....loved this.....in didn't want to do bindings or mite red corners....just what I wanted!
    Thanks,nDiane

20. April 20, 2014  9:27 pm by Megan Butland Reply

This is beautiful!! Are the patterned fabrics just cotton?

Sew Tweed!

Today's post: Susu's and Suraya's Eid outfits. The inspiration: Tweed! The moment I found the fabric I used for Susu's outfit I envisioned a long jacket/coat and wide leg pants.[...]

The Good One

How scary would it be to have a costume-less kid on Halloween?  Let's not dare to find out! The kid in question... Suraya! It's not that I've been procrastinating. I promise. I jus[...]

Vintage Inspired Gauchos

It's no secret that I love anything vintage and anything vintage inspired. A few months ago, I had received vintage style fabric as a gift from a dear friend of mine... a friend th[...]