Cupcakes with a Cherry on Top

Last week I was buried in flour, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, fondant, buttercream… and all the good stuff that a cake and cupcakes are made of and the decorations that make those cakes and cupcakes pretty. Well, not literally buried but I sure felt like it! I had three orders. Today I’m sharing with you just one of them… but don’t worry I’ll be sharing the others in future posts.

Before I do share the first order from last week, I thought to share some history that leads up to this order. Also, at the same time, you get to learn a little bit about my cake decorating background and my inspirations.

Back in March of 2010, I had made a cake and cupcake tower for a Barney themed birthday party. This was my first official order. When I say official, I mean it wasn’t for a friend or family member… it was for someone I’ve never met. I have to admit I was quite excited… who wouldn’t be, right? I was so excited that I made my first set of business cards to leave at the party. As I share this story, I recall all the excitement and how nervous I was. :P

Wow, my photography skills were really horrible! I have improved, haven’t I? I hope you guys do think so too:P

I had soooo much fun making Barney and his friends…. I still giggle whenever I see a picture of this cake. I was so pleased with the way the characters turned out. :D The design for this cake was inspired by my favorite cake designer, Vanessa Iti of Bella Cupcakes. You must check out her over the top beautiful work… and her amazing photography! Her work is absolutely breath taking and so full of inspiration!! Back in 2009 she did this adorable Winnie the Pooh cake. This cake was the inspiration for my Barney cake, but of course mine looks totally amateur next to her’s…haha! However, I have to admit I was proud of my buttercream covered cake… yup the pink is buttercream! At that time I had newly learned a technique that makes your buttercream look as smooth as fondant! I have Sharon Zambito of the SugarEd Productions to thank for that! Since then that has been my preferred method… especially since most people don’t care for fondant. Most of the cakes I have made are covered in buttercream with fondant or gum paste decorations.

One of the guests at the Barney party loved the cake and cupcakes, and it turns out she had taken one of my business cards. Score! Almost exactly a year later, March 2011, I get a phone call from that guest’s friend. Her friend tells me that she was referred to me. She placed a cupcake tower order for her daughter’s first birthday. The theme was cupcakes with purple and pink as the color scheme.

I adored these cupcakes. It turns out so did that guest (Barney party guest). She had told her friend that if she has a girl, she will be doing the same first birthday theme and the same exact cupcakes. Sure enough, she had a baby girl! And here I am making (actually have made) the same cupcakes 16 months later…

However, for the this order, the cupcake tower consisted of a jumbo cupcake as the topper.

Just as adorable as the first time! Don’t you think?

The next order… Star Wars Lego theme. Be sure to come back and check it out!

1. July 18, 2012  12:46 pm by Amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Reply

You, my dear, are incredibly talented. I can't believe the detail you achieved for the characters on the Barney cake. It's difficult to capture characters that are so easily recognized but you did. I beyond adore the cherry on the top cupcakes. How sweet. Really amazing. I can't wait to see the Star Wars lego theme. I am sure I'll be impressed.

2. July 18, 2012  3:44 pm by ColleenB. Reply

Stunning! Very impressed with your cake decorating skills.
    Like how you incorporated the purple and white twine.
    The cherries on top look pretty awesome.

3. July 18, 2012  6:14 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

As always they look great! I can't believe you were actually using buttercream! Amazing! I really love the whimsical number 1... it looks kind of Dr. Seuss-ish!

4. July 19, 2012  1:33 am by Jodi Reply

What an amazing job. I love the whimsical design of the cherries. Great work.

5. July 19, 2012  8:10 am by melissa Reply

Holy Cow! Those look amazing! I learned early on that I am no cake decorator! Luckily, I have a good friend who is! Those cupcakes are precious! (And, even though my Barney days are over - that one looks amazing as well!)

6. July 20, 2012  1:53 am by Meags K Reply

These are just truly amazing. Cake decorating is something I have always been way to scared to even attempt.

7. July 20, 2012  5:19 pm by Heidi Reply

Great job on the frosting! I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

8. July 20, 2012  7:07 pm by Christine Reply

You totally HAVE to tell me how you make the icing on those cupcakes look FLAWLESS!!! Really... I got to know!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

9. July 21, 2012  2:15 pm by Mackenzie Reply

What a great idea! These are adorable! We'd love to invite you to join us at Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know everyone will love this! Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)

10. Pingback : May the Frosting Be with You – Ode to Inspiration

11. July 25, 2012  3:02 pm by Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch Reply

I love these!! I'd love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It's a new linky party starting today. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi

12. July 27, 2012  10:34 pm by Tonia@TheGunnySack Reply

Ohhh...I love those cupcakes! So cute and I bet they taste amazing!

Wedding Cake & Fried Green Tomatoes

I've been busy preparing for my first wedding cake order which is for this weekend. Eek! Excitement! Want a sneak peek? I guess just a little peek won't hurt;) Don't worry, [...]

Elephants & Diamonds

Diamond shape that is. Does that particular design have a name... I think it may. Some help here pretty please:D I'm not very good at knowing names of particular designs. Somet[...]

Fondant Ribbon Rose

I bet you thought I was going to share Sofia's dessert table with you today. Sorry to disappoint if you did.... but don't worry, this post is related to it. Then I promise you in t[...]