Fondant Ribbon Rose

I bet you thought I was going to share Sofia’s dessert table with you today. Sorry to disappoint if you did…. but don’t worry, this post is related to it. Then I promise you in the next post the table will be revealed! Yay!

Sofia’s first birthday party was a garden theme. A garden full of flowers, berries, and butterflies! So of course her birthday cake had to have flowers. One of my favorite fondant flowers to make is the ribbon rose. I love the whimsiness of it! Today I’m going to show you how to make one. It’s quite simple. Grab the following supplies and come join me!

Supplies:

• Fondant (any color of your choice)
  • Small rolling pin
  • Pizza cutter
  • Corn starch

Working on a non-stick surface is best like a silicone mat or even parchment paper. Working directly on your kitchen counter is fine too. Lightly dust your work space with corn starch to help keep the fondant from sticking. Roll out your fondant.

With the pizza cutter, cut out a strip. I cut this strip to 7″ x 1.5″ (I moved the strip down to the inch boxes to help you see that). You can cut your strip bigger or smaller depending on what size you want your flower. As you will see shortly, I made an assortment of sizes. So there are no rules on size here!

Fold your strip in half, and roll it just a bit.

Pick up your strip by the rolled end. Start wrapping the rest of the strip around the rolled end, and at the same time at intervals pinching the back to create pleats. Keep doing that until you have the whole strip wrapped around. Pinch off the excess at the bottom of the flower. Let dry (best for 24 hours).

Make as many as you want. Make them small.. big… pinch more… pinch less… have fun with them! You can make them as far in advance as you would like… they’ll be ready to make your cakes and cupcakes pretty for any party! Well, any girly party that is. :D

1. July 30, 2012  9:18 am by ColleenB. Reply

I have never worked with fondant but this looks so much easier then trying to make roses with decorating tube and that little rose stand. Never was able to make roses
    Great tutorial. Thank You, thank you. :} Of course for me to remember this I'll have to print this out for future use.

2. July 30, 2012  12:58 pm by Tonia@TheGunnySack Reply

Very cute! I've never worked with fondant but would love to try it!

3. July 30, 2012  6:46 pm by Rebecca Reply

Those look both pretty and tasty. I have not worked with fondant much, but I know it can be used to make some really nice designs.

4. July 30, 2012  7:07 pm by Sarah Averett Reply

I love working with fondant! These are adorable. Can't wait to see more!

5. July 30, 2012  7:08 pm by Amy Reply

Those roses are beautiful. You make it look SO easy. Thanks for the corn starch tip, I would have probably used flour. Looks like I got my first lesson in cake decorating. Thanks!

6. July 30, 2012  10:34 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

You make it look so easy and so very pretty. I'm not one bit surprised.I've never even attempted to work with fondant let alone buy any. How do you buy it or do you have to make it? Told you I was clueless, lol.

7. Pingback : Garden Theme Dessert Table – Ode to Inspiration

8. August 1, 2012  12:03 pm by Winnie Reply

Thanks soooooooooo much for this tutorial
    I don't work much with fondant but every now and then (marshmallow fondant)

I have a question though - approximately how thick the fondant strips are (before you fold them in half) ?
    Thanks!

9. August 2, 2012  1:26 pm by Becca Reply

These are pretty! I used fondant with my sister to make Mario characters for our brother's Birthday. It was so fun. :)

10. August 3, 2012  9:40 am by Jamie Reply

Fabulous! These look so easy. A good idea for a first fondant project!

11. August 4, 2012  4:52 pm by Heidi Reply

Beautiful. I'm new to fondant, but now I know where to come when I'm ready to do flowers! I’d love for you to link up this (and any other ideas you’d like to share) at "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com.

12. August 5, 2012  12:18 am by Britni Reply

How pretty are those! That picture is just gorgeous! I've never used fondant before and I'm the world's worst cake decorator ;) These are just too much fun though, I may have to try one day! I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party {runs through Sunday night}. I hope to see you there! :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-4/

13. August 5, 2012  9:53 am by Rachel Reply

This seems so easy and I like that! I'm not much of a cake decorator but oh my, could I ever be! :) Thanks for the tutorial!

14. August 7, 2012  6:54 pm by Kim@madeinaday Reply

Beautiful! thanks for linkin up!
    Kim@madeinaday

15. Pingback : Hookin Up with HoH #111

16. September 7, 2012  6:34 pm by stenodiva1@gmail.com Reply

Thanks! I just made 9 for my cake. Fast and easy! Much, much easier than the gum paste roses that take years to make....

17. March 1, 2013  8:38 pm by Jazmine Reply

Ive never used fondont... But want to do a nike shoe for my girls birthday, can u buy it in colours or do u buy white n colour urself??? Love some feed back

18. Pingback : Small Marshmallow Fondant Recipe - The Bearfoot Baker