May the Frosting Be with You

Okay, so maybe that’s not an original post title. BUT I did think of it on my own without knowing it’s been thought of already. How did I know it’s been thought of already? Well I couldn’t imagine that no one else thought of it so I called upon good old Google search! Sure enough, the phrase already exists. Oh well. Can I still get some creativity points? At least one? ;)

If you read my cupcakes with a cherry on top post, then you already know that I’m referencing Star Wars. If you didn’t, then you may have figured it out from the title of this post. And if you still didn’t get it, well, I guess you can be forgiven especially since I have no room to judge. ;) Even though I do like Star Wars, I’m definitely not a crazy fanatic like some people out there. As a matter of fact I haven’t watched all of them. I think I just heard a loud GASP! across the blogosphere. Haha! Don’t worry, I do know all the main characters… but not necessarily all their history. Also, I confess, I didn’t know there really was a difference between a stormtrooper and a clone trooper. As a matter of fact, whenever I would see a picture of a clone trooper I just assumed it was a stormtrooper. If you were to ask me about clone troopers my reponse would have been “Clone trooper… what’s that?” Well, that would’ve been the case up until this cake order I made two weeks ago… a Lego Star Wars themed cake.

I made a lego themed cake a couple years ago, but it wasn’t Lego Star Wars.

I had made the above cake for my friend’s son’s kindergarten graduation (covered in buttercream with fondant decorations). I made the graduation cap to fit like an actual lego piece on the lego characters head..hehe. My latest client (also a friend) had seen the above cake on my Facebook page when I first posted it. Since then she’s been intending to have a lego themed party for her son. Finally she did but it was a Lego Star Wars theme instead!

For the birthday boy’s name and age I used the Star Wars font. I created a stencil with my Silhouette and used the stencil to hand cut the name and number. To give them a space effect I painted them with silver luster dust. To create the luster dust paint, I mixed dry luster dust with lemon oil. I also painted the stars as well. The border of the cake is just piped buttercream. As usual, the cake is covered in buttercream.

Darth Vader and stormtrooper gave me some difficulty getting them to look like their real lego counterparts…or close to it at least. I think I did a better job getting Barney & his friends as well as Pinkalicious to look like the actual characters… characters with more details. Go figure!

Cupcakes were also a part of the order. The request was for a 6″ cake and cupcake tower set up. I personally love the small cake with cupcakes set up because cupcakes are always easier to serve. Also, there’s just something about cupcakes that I could never tire of!

Next up… flowers and butterflies! Come back and see what I did for the last of the three orders I had two weeks ago.

1. July 23, 2012  9:21 am by Amy Reply

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You are the most talented person I know. I am not even a Star Wars fan and I LOVE THIS. Great job. And, I had never heard may the frosting be with you SO I was impressed with that as well :)

2. July 23, 2012  10:07 am by Claudine Reply

WOW, Maysem!
    You are so talented! The cakes are beautiful!
    I took a course trying to learn how to roll fondant...
    What a disaster!!!! I hated it!!! I have no skills for cake decoration!
    I am so glad your son is still young so you can make a few more of these for his Birthdays!!!

• July 23, 2012  10:11 am by Claudine Reply

Sorry Maysem, I thought the first Cake was made for YOUR SON Kindergarten Graduation, LOL!
      went back and it was for your friend's son!
      I said that because my son is almost 18 and now he doesn't want that kind of cake anymore...
      Cheers,

3. July 23, 2012  11:29 am by Maha Reply

Excellent work! I expect nothing less from you- you are very talented!!!

4. July 23, 2012  3:07 pm by JaneEllen Jones Reply

Hey there Maysem Such a pretty name. Is there a specific meaning for your name in your culture?
    I am so impressed with your many talents. I have a hard time just frosting a cake and it's a mess usually, lol. I have talents in other areas, I just have to discover where in the heck they are, still looking at 72.
    Your cakes are so incredible. You must have alot of patience. Are you a self taught cake decorator? My compliments ten fold.
    Lucky friends and clients that have you to make cakes for them. Hope you have a wonderul week and that all is well at your home.

5. July 23, 2012  6:00 pm by Karen Reply

This is so cool! I love the idea of serving a small cake and cupcakes instead of just decorating a large sheet cake. It's just so much more attractive that way. Also easier to serve! Your client's son must have been thrilled!

6. July 24, 2012  4:36 pm by Sonja @ practical-stewardship.com Reply

Found you on the Tip Junkie. Such a great job! My kids were "ooing" and "awwwing" over this, and my 7 year old daughter wants me to make it for her 8th birthday.

7. July 27, 2012  9:59 am by Jodi Reply

You do such great work. I do cakes as a hobby too, so I really appreciate your skills! How much fun.

8. July 27, 2012  7:33 pm by emily Reply

WOW! SOOO impressive. I'm just in awe!

9. July 27, 2012  7:55 pm by Big D & Me Reply

I've made several Star Wars cakes in my day - this one is fabulous!

10. July 27, 2012  7:57 pm by Sarah AJ Reply

Those are fantastic! My Lego freak of a son would be in heaven if he had either of those. Great job!

11. July 27, 2012  9:00 pm by Lauren Reply

LOVE this...stopping by from TT&J weekend wrap up! This cake is awesome you are very talented!

12. July 27, 2012  10:44 pm by Sarah@sarahlyallhome Reply

My nephew would love this Star Wars cake. It looks great, you did an awesome job.

13. August 1, 2012  12:40 pm by Kim@madeinaday Reply

You are soo awesome! Thanks for linkin up!
    Kim@madeinaday

14. August 3, 2012  5:49 pm by Angie Reply

this is too cute~ Did you mold the figures w/fondant. I tried to do a Curious George but so difficult that I gave up. lol

thanks for sharing.

I will be doing a Dark Knight cake on the 6th..

Spring Flower Pot Cakes

I had come across this pin on Pinterest, and it has inspired me to get my flower pots out... baking pots that is. I had purchased them about four years ago from King Arthur [...]

Elephants & Diamonds

Diamond shape that is. Does that particular design have a name... I think it may. Some help here pretty please:D I'm not very good at knowing names of particular designs. Somet[...]