Ramadan Countdown to Eid

The Muslim month Ramadan is almost here! It starts next week! Yikes, I better hurry up and start getting things ready. First on the agenda is a countdown calendar.

For those that may not be very familiar with Ramadan, here’s a little bit of information about this special month. Ramadan is the ninth month on the lunar Islamic calender. It’s a time of spiritual reflection, and a time of purifying your heart. A time when extra charity and actions of generosity are encouraged. Ramadan is known to be the month of fasting for Muslims from dawn to sunset. Yes, fasting involves no food or liquids for that time period of the day, but it also means making a conscious effort to refrain from idle talk, backbiting, fighting, etc. Fasting from food and liquids teaches empathy for those that are less fortunate. A lunar month can be 29 or 30 days. Each month begins with the birth of the new moon. The Islamic tradition is that the moon must be sighted, so that’s why we don’t know when the actual month begins and ends until the night before. Is there a 30th day in the month or is it the first day of the new month? Can you imagine the anticipation on that 29th night! On that first day of the new month is the start of the celebrations… Eid! This year’s Ramadan is estimated to begin on July 20th. Since the lunar calendar does not run with the solar calendar, it appears as if Muslim holidays are traveling holidays. Since the world does run on the solar calendar, Muslim holidays are at different times of the year.

As you can see, little time is left, so I need to get a move on!

This is the first countdown calendar I make for Ramadan. After much and much brainstorming and much and much inspiration, I came up with the idea of using lanterns and allowing them to hang from my mantel. At first, I thought to look for mini lanterns, but boy would that be one expensive countdown calendar if I took the route of purchasing mini lanterns. After more brainstorming, I recalled a link to a tutorial that my friend Sahar had sent me a year or two ago. The tutorial was for making your own Moroccan lanterns using jars. That was it! I would make my own lanterns using baby food jars! I called on to Sahar to come join me in making my 30 jars, and without hesitation she did!

This is what you will need: 4 oz baby food jars, dimensional paint, translucent glass paint (like Pebeo Vitrea 160), spray paint, and vinyl.

First thing you will need to do is paint the inside of your jars. Some of the jars we used a paint brush and others we did the drip method. Brush strokes were more visible with some colors, so we did the drip method for those colors. The drip method is just pouring paint into the jar, swirling it until the jar is coated with the paint, and then allowing the access paint to drip out of the jar as it lays upside down.

You can bake your jars before decorating them if you would like, but we didn’t due to time. You have to allow your painted jars to sit for 24 hours before baking. If you do decide to bake them, just follow the instructions on the glass paint bottle.

Next is decorating your jars with the dimensional paint.

Since glass is non-porous, it will take a long time for the dimensional paint to dry. I gave my jars until the next day before touching them. Be careful when moving them around in the meantime.

Last thing to do are the caps. I spray painted them with gold paint, and after they dried, I applied vinyl numbers. I made my numbers with my Silhouette. For those that don’t have a Silhouette or Cricut, you can always hand cut your numbers (which may be difficult due to size), use punchers (easier), or even buy pre-made numbers (easiest!) from a craft store (ex. stickers).

Now, just place tea candles in each jar and display them anywhere you would like. Each day of Ramadan (after sunset), remove the cap and light your candle. Use the cap as a pedestal for your lantern. With each day, light the previous days’ candles along with the current day. On the last day of Ramadan, watch as all of your beautiful lanterns are lit up indicating that the next day is going to be a wonderful celebration!

Due to the number of jars, I chose not to hang my lanterns along my mantel as I originally planned. Next week, I’ll show you how I displayed them along with my Ramadan mantel.

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. For those that don’t celebrate Ramadan, these lanterns would be cute to make for any occasion as well as make nice gifts.

Have a wonderful weekend ya’ll!

1. July 13, 2012  9:21 am by Jenan Mohajir Reply

I LOVE THESE!!! Wish I had made some for Zubair's wedding!

2. July 13, 2012  9:42 am by Micha Reply

They are beautiful!

3. July 13, 2012  12:00 pm by dearandersoncooper Reply

these are beautiful. what a lovely way to mark each night of ramadan!

4. July 13, 2012  12:09 pm by Creative Mind Reply

Slam dear!
    Great post with awesome tutorial :) I am also waiting for holy month Ramadan..and Eid...the great festival..I hope you will have a blessed month with lots of happiness..
    Fi Amaan Allah...
    Thanks

5. July 13, 2012  12:22 pm by Salwa Reply

Wow mA that's so amazing I totally want to spend Ramadan in your home now! :p

6. July 13, 2012  5:01 pm by Jasmine Reply

Love the idea and I love how they turned out! mashaAllah.. awesome job :)

7. July 13, 2012  7:18 pm by julaybeeba Reply

SO PRETTY....This totally makes Ramadan that much more exciting.....I can't wait to take a jab at these myself ;)

8. July 13, 2012  7:32 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

These are so beautiful! I love the designs you painted on them. Will you light just the candle of the day, or is it like on day two you light candles 1 and 2, day three candles 1,2 and 3, etc? I'm looking forward to the post showing your whole mantle!

9. July 13, 2012  7:42 pm by Amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Reply

Maysem, these are BEAUTIFUL. You did such a wonderful job transforming something so ordinary to something so extraordinary. I can't get over how lovely they are. I appreciate your explanation concerning Ramadan, a holiday I am totally unfamiliar with. It sounds like a beautiful holiday, one that helps you focus on the positive and let go of the negative. I loved every single word of this post.

10. July 14, 2012  12:40 am by JaneEllen Jones Reply

Sounds like your religion teaches some pretty wise ideas. When people don't know or understand something about a religion then I think they have hesitation to respect it. Your little lanterns are so beautiful.How did you think up all those gorgeous patterns you painted on them? The lanterns would be gorgeous lined up on a deck or anywhere somebody wanted to showcase them. You sure have inspired me.

11. July 14, 2012  1:33 am by Hani Shabbir Reply

wow.. I am super loving this idea.. I have baby food jars but not so many.. I better start hunting for some. I love the decoration on each too. So unique and beautiful.. I am pinning this tomorrow morning. :)

12. July 14, 2012  9:25 am by thebeadden Reply

They are so beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

13. July 15, 2012  11:59 am by Ayesha Zafar Reply

MashaAllah beautiful! can u please reveal the finale couple days before Ramadan so it inspires us even more :) :)
    ayesha :)

14. July 15, 2012  10:12 pm by Kathryn Griffin Reply

Oh, these are beautiful! Please share them tomorrow at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Also thank you for the visit and sweet comment. It means the world. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

15. Pingback : Ramadan Mantel « Ode to Inspiration

16. July 17, 2012  2:12 am by Brittany @ Crafty Mischief Reply

Your mantle is beautiful! Thanks for the little lesson on Ramadan. My kids love learning about other cultures and traditions.

17. July 18, 2012  5:54 am by Tanya Anurag Reply

Excellent idea and very beautifully executed :)

-Tanya

18. July 18, 2012  2:35 pm by Claire Jain Reply

Your jars turned out so beautifully! You definitely have a way with the paint :-D Thanks for sharing!

19. July 20, 2012  1:58 am by Hadiyah Shabir Reply

Your jars are so beautiful and colourful. Love the idea. Definetly have to hunt for small jars.
    Thanks for sharing.

20. July 22, 2012  11:13 am by Kathryn Griffin Reply

Thank you so much for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

21. July 24, 2012  4:38 am by Violet Reply

LOVE IT!

22. August 3, 2012  4:01 am by Amnah Reply

MashaAllah, these are spectacular!

23. August 6, 2012  3:32 am by Rizwana Shaikh Reply

Lovely idea!! Thanks!

24. August 6, 2012  5:29 am by shania Reply

These look just lovely...so colourful and festive...I had one question though...do the glass colours melt with the heat from the tea candle at all??

25. August 13, 2012  10:30 pm by Fedah hack Reply

Mashallah that is such a nice idea! Thans!

26. August 28, 2012  11:21 pm by manal Reply

I really like these, they're so fun and inviting!

27. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Eid Cookie Stencils: Take 2!

28. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Eid Al-Adha Vignette

29. November 11, 2012  11:40 pm by Amira Fareed Reply

MashAllah these are spectacular. Loved all your ideas. I wondering if you can give me any ideas for my kids Ameen(Khatum-al-Quran) party favors. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

30. November 16, 2012  2:58 pm by nournada Reply

hi thank you for visiting and commenting to bayty mamlakty blog , hope you do not mind my sharing for this post , if you wanted me to remove it just let me know , by the way this is an amazing project i really liked thank you for your tutorial :)

31. April 17, 2013  6:30 am by Tina pope Reply

Oh gosh, I just love these. They definitely are a must try.

32. Pingback : Mini Moroccan Lanterns | Shimmeroo

33. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Counting Down Ramadan

34. July 19, 2013  11:23 am by jerri Reply

How do you get tge glass paint so vibrant and even? Also where did u get the particular glass paint that you used?

35. August 3, 2013  3:04 pm by Marwa Reply

these are gorgeous!!! I wish i saw them before ramadan started!!!! no worries I'll do them for next Ramadan lol.. Thank you so Much for sharing!!!

36. August 14, 2013  1:07 pm by Sharon Reply

this is wonderful. thank you for sharing. I plan on using mine for a more secular event...a Moroccan dinner party. But then again sharing good food with friends can be a sacred event as well! عيد مبارك

37. Pingback : Diwali Lighting Ideas | holykhao

38. May 1, 2014  11:04 pm by Tayeeba Reply

Salam! Did you pain the outside of the jars too? I am going to make these for a wedding InshaAllah. :)

39. Pingback : Le calendrier du mois de Ramadan - M.M Blog – Materner avec un grand Aime