Thrift Shop Chair Makeover

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Since we had a holiday break last week, it didn’t feel like much of a weekend for me. I had to stop and think what day of the week it was to realize it was actually the weekend. Did anyone else get thrown off? Well, we have a fresh new start. That’s what’s nice about Monday’s. Don’t you agree?

Now, let’s get to business. Yup, as the title suggests, it involves a chair. Actually two, but only one got a makeover for now.

I found these two chairs in excellent condition at Goodwill.

The best part was the price. Yup, I sure did pay only $1.99 for each chair! Can you believe it?! I surely couldn’t! I thought maybe they were priced wrong. I quickly rushed to the register. As I waited in line I was waiting for someone to stop me. But no one did. Then when it was my turn, I expected the cashier to tell me the chairs were incorrectly priced. But she didn’t. I gave her my $4 and rushed out for fear of someone figuring out they had the wrong price. No one chased after me. As I walked to my car, I felt like I just robbed Goodwill. But I didn’t! The chairs were really $1.99! That whole day, I was on a thrift bargain high! It was such a rush…hehe. Not only were they in excellent condition and an out of this world price, but they were exactly what I was looking for and found them on my first stop. In and out in just minutes!

From the last few posts, you probably have guessed what the chairs are for (or actually at least one chair). If you guessed for Suraya… you got it right! The second chair is intended for Susu if she chooses to take it. If not, I’m sure I can figure something out for it. I have nothing to lose except $2, right?

Now let’s get on to the makeover!

I painted the chair aqua and embellished it with a little birdie. The idea of the bird was inspired by the ever so talented Karen from Folkhaven. She had hand painted a nest of eggs on an old wooden chair. Free hand! I instantaneously fell in love with Karen’s chair and the idea of painting an image on it. I had planned to borrow Karen’s idea for my kitchen chairs. That plan is still on my to do list, but I decided it would be cute to do the same with Suraya’s new chair. However, I’m not a talented artist like Karen, so I was going to cheat by making my own stencil to use. Hey, we all can’t be artists but we can be inspired to pretend to be one:P

Upon taking out my Silhouette and vinyl in order to make a stencil, I came across an already made vinyl bird that I made a couple months ago that went unused. And it was purple! Perfect! I had thrown away the void, which is what is needed for the stencil, but kept the bird. So I just decided to use the vinyl bird. It couldn’t have been more perfect!

[Karen, just in case you were wondering, Suraya has no problem sitting on the little birdie. ;) ]

To add some comfort to Suraya’s new chair, I also made a pillow for it with the word “aspire”.

I cut out the letters using the Silhouette. I ended up using my Silhouette after all!

After I ironed on the letters, I outlined the letters with embroidery thread.

I hope this pillow will always remind Suraya to aspire to achieve what her heart desires and what she sets her mind to. :)

I was very pleased with the outcome of this project, but most importantly so was Suraya! What do you all think of Suraya’s new chair and pillow? Love to hear what you have to say!

Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you all join me for the final reveal of Suraya’s space. Have a wonderful week!

1. July 9, 2012  9:17 am by Maha Reply

I love the makeover! Really inspirational!!!

2. July 9, 2012  9:19 am by Amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Reply

Wow. I adore that little purple birdie. What a sweet chair and addition to Suraya's room. The pillow only adds to the charm. Beautifully done.

3. July 9, 2012  10:38 am by pillowsalamode Reply

Both the chair and the pillow are LOVELY! And what an inspiration you are to your little girl!

4. July 9, 2012  12:00 pm by Salwa Reply

wow, all i can say is that you just inspired me to visit my local goodwill store some time.

Gorgeous, mA!

5. July 9, 2012  2:15 pm by Aziza Reply

I love it!! The aqua and the purple birdie compliment each other so well, and the pillow - super fabulous! Very well done, and inspiring, I'm sooooooo going thrift store hunting today :)

6. July 9, 2012  2:17 pm by ColleenB. Reply

You're right,l Goodwill did get robbed. What a bargain and what a fantastic makeover you had done. Great looking pillow as well I love it.
    Gosh, if you had enough material to match her pillow,you could even make a matching pouch with tie strings and tie to back of the chair for even alittle extra 'storage'space for whatever.

7. July 9, 2012  4:05 pm by sahara Reply

LOVE IT!!!!

8. July 9, 2012  6:21 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

FIrst of all, I am so honored that my chair was your inspiration! And Suraya's chair is darling! I did wonder about the sitting on the birdie thing and then there you were answering my question! ;-) And the pillow is wonderful as well... looking comfy, inspiring and adorable! Your description of finding the chairs at such an incredible price at the Goodwill reminded me of the Ikea commercial a little while back where the woman rushes out of the store screaming "Start the car. Start the car!" as though they are making their get away from a bank heist.

9. July 10, 2012  7:42 pm by Jenni Price Reply

Wow, you made that a super cute chair and I love your color decorating choices.....and thanks for saying hello on my blog :)

Blessings,
    Jenni

10. Pingback : The Reveal.. Finally! « Ode to Inspiration

11. July 12, 2012  12:00 am by Jessi W Reply

Wow, that chair is great looking! And awesome deal for $1.99! The little bird is just too cute :-) I'd be thrilled if you want to link this up to The Fun In Functional link party that opened today! http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/07/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-7/

12. July 12, 2012  8:45 am by Cynthia Reply

Oh that turned out so sweet. Love the little birdie.

13. July 12, 2012  9:08 am by Kathryn Griffin Reply

I love Goodwill! It turned out perfect! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from ArtsyGirl. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-5.html Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

14. July 12, 2012  8:53 pm by BethM@Under A Pile of Scrap! Reply

Great steal... uh, I mean deal on those chairs!! You wouldn't see that kind of price on OUR Goodwill chairs! It turned out really cute with the sweet little birdie on the corner. The pillow is darling too!

15. July 14, 2012  12:29 am by Melanie Reply

What an amazing find! And I love the way you painted it!

16. July 15, 2012  11:40 pm by Brianne Reply

I love this chair! I need a new office chair and you have inspired me to get myself down to Goodwill to find a new one.

17. August 29, 2012  7:32 pm by JaneEllen Reply

You are so talented Maysem. That was a happy accident using that vinyl bird. How cute, I love the color combinations you used.What a beautiful addition to her room. Everything you do I love so much.
    My hubs spray painted an old fashioned picnic basket for me yesterday. I want to paint the lid a different color and stencil something on it. I have a few bird stencils so will use one or both of them. (hubs does the spray painting as he's sure I can't do it right, haven't really tried and it gives him something to do.) Now I'll go back to the original post.

18. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Let Love Grow {Goodwill Chair Makeover}