Eid Treats & Packaging

Every Eid I enjoy making a yummy treat to pass out to my family. Each year I look for something new to make. Not only do the treats have to be yummy, but they also have to be nicely packaged. I’m a sucker for cute packaging… who isn’t! So yummy and cute are the key words. I usually have an idea of what I want to make, but this time I was stumped. Well, until about a week ago… I know, that’s cutting it close considering Eid is this weekend!

Check out these peanut butter pretzel fudge treats! Don’t they look amazing? I certainly was drooling. They were made by Shugary Sweets. As soon as I saw them, I was sold! And let me tell you, they are as good as they look! Shugary Sweets was oh so generous to share her recipe with us. Check it out over HERE… so simple to make! I love simple… especially when it’s paired with yum!!

Okay, so now on to the packaging. I actually had the packaging figured out long before I figured out the treats. With all the crazy cute packaging out in blog land, it’s not that difficult to find inspiration. This year’s Eid al-Fitr (the celebration marking the end of Ramadan) packaging was inspired by Cynthia Shaffer‘s painted treat tins.

I gathered some tins that I had found at a thrift shop… I scored 9 of them for $1.49! Woohoo! When getting tins from a thrift shop, be sure to inspect them on the inside for rusting… leave those icky ones behind! Not that I need to tell you that, right? ;)

Before spray painting my tins, I washed all my tins thoroughly and hand dried them to keep them from rusting.

Following Cynthia’s instructions, I spray painted the tins with the lids on. I used Krylon’s spray paint in avocado. I made the “Happy Eid” (and “Eid Mubarak” … translation: Eid Blessings) labels as she instructed: applied gesso onto book pages, stamped words over the pages (once gesso was dry), and tore them out. From here, I added my own touches. With my Silhouette, I cut out a vintage label out of the same damask paper I used for my Eid garland. I adhered the vintage label and stamped book page label with glue.

I finished off the tin with red twine and tied a ribbon that I cut out of georgette fabric that I had on hand.

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget to put the fudge treats inside. To avoid the risk of the chocolate warming up and sticking to each other, I separated each layer with parchment paper. With these hot summer months, can’t take any risks with chocolate! So in the fridge the tins shall go until they are ready to be gifted.

My Eid To Do list is pretty much all checked off. Just a few more things left to do… easy peasy items like putting up Eid decorations and gift wrapping. I think I can handle those. ;)

1. August 15, 2012  9:13 am by Amy of While Wearing Heels Reply

Ok, that is a beautiful tin filled with deliciousness. I am REALLY impressed. You really do make holidays extra special, don't you?

2. August 15, 2012  9:13 am by sahara Reply

AWESOME IDEA!!!! I have some tins lying around and never realy thought of painting them when re-using....but now i do.

p.s. i'm hoping one of those boxes is for me :P

3. August 15, 2012  9:29 am by Maha Reply

Very nice!

4. August 15, 2012  11:30 am by Aziza Reply

Love it, and I can't imagine anyone not enjoying one of those on the Eid ;)

5. August 15, 2012  12:16 pm by ColleenB. Reply

Your Sweet treats look awesome and I also never thought of repainting the tins and I have lots of them stored in boxes, unused.
    By any chance would you want to adopt me :} You come up with the coolest ideas and such great inspiration. You totally Rock!

6. August 15, 2012  2:30 pm by Alia Reply

That is such a cute idea!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!

7. August 15, 2012  10:16 pm by Rukhsana Reply

Mashallah, beautiful! Can't wait to see how you decorated for eid!

8. August 16, 2012  1:42 am by Melissa @ The Alchemist Reply

This is such a great idea, painting tins, I had no idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

9. August 16, 2012  6:01 am by Amnah Reply

Awesome. I wish I had seen this before I was at the thrift store the other day and passed a mountain of hideous tin containers. Totally love this idea.

What are the care instructions of the tin after it's been painted?

10. August 16, 2012  12:25 pm by Kathryn Griffin Reply

OMGosh! What a great, great idea! Thank you for sharing! Visiting from Artsy Girl. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-10.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

11. August 16, 2012  5:33 pm by Gina Reply

Great idea! Love the design.

12. August 17, 2012  1:51 am by MeagsK Reply

Yet another fabulous post. I love the tins and the colour (my favourite). Terrific job, I'm sure everyone will love them.

13. August 18, 2012  4:55 pm by Jennifer Reply

I love this! I always see tons of these tins at Goodwill!

14. August 19, 2012  2:26 pm by Kathryn Griffin Reply

Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

15. August 20, 2012  5:59 am by Christine Reply

SO PRETTY!!!! WOW!!! LOVE how you transformed the tins! AMAZING!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

16. August 22, 2012  4:56 am by isyou.in/uk Reply

Happy Eid celebrations from isyou.in/uk! We love your DIY ideas for Eid! Passing by to say, if you're looking for a festive Eid Al Fitr gift deal - see our wide selection of clothes, jewellery, decorations, chocolates, and perfume at isyou.in/uk

17. August 23, 2012  1:19 pm by six sisters Reply

This is so cute and we absolutely love those tins!! We appreciate you linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party! Please come back again soon! -The Sisters

18. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Vintage Love Valentine