Falling Leaves Rustic Window

I’m so excited to get started on my fall mantel. At first I wasn’t certain how I wanted to decorate it. I had a few ideas, but the one consistent decorative piece in all the ideas is a window. An old rustic window to be exact. I’ve seen the old window being used as a decorative piece all over blog land, and I just love all the different ideas out there. Whether being used as is or transformed into something else, I love it! So, I just had to get one for myself! I’ve read how people are getting their windows for free, but unfortunately I had no such luck. No one is throwing away old windows in my part of town. Anytime I did come across a window, it was waaay more than I wanted to spend. For a long time I kept my eye out, and finally that long time came to an end this past spring. Yaay! It wasn’t free, but close enough for me!

There was one problem with the window. It wasn’t the rustic window I had hoped for, but I think I can solve that problem. I would make it rustic myself!

One side of the window was slightly white stained and the other side a deep green. I decided to work with the green side.

I first painted over the green with an avocado colored paint which I created by combining a color called pear with brown. Then I went over that with brown paint. I just used acrylic paint for this project because that’s what I had on hand in the colors I wanted. I really didn’t need much paint to cover the window. Those little $.59 acrylic paint bottles really do go a long way!

After the paint completely dried, with a putty knife I started to scrape off the paint. Once done scraping, I sanded down the bare wood areas.

My window is all done. I had fun making my window rustic! Hehe. Now on to the next fun part… Getting it dressed up for fall!

With the help of my Silhouette, using brown vinyl, I cut out a bare tree, leaves, and the word “falling”. I applied the vinyl on the back side of the window.

Now my window is officially ready for fall!

Hey look… outside the window… I see falling leaves. ;) Where there’s falling leaves, there’s fall!

My window looks so lonely sitting on the mantel with just a vintage milk jug. Sorry milk jug, you are just not enough. :P No worries! Company will be joining it soon… just come back for the next post to see what.

I hope you enjoyed my falling leaves rustic window!

1. September 17, 2012  9:36 am by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

I am {falling} in love with this. What a beautifully transformed window. I love everything about this. This is beyond brilliant.

2. September 17, 2012  10:16 am by ColleenB. Reply

Wonderfulo job in giving your window that rustic look.
    There is no shortage of finding old windows around here; some with glass and some without. I have always been tempted to get me an old window but just haven't gotten around to it. Hubby doesn't like things laying around waiting for me to do something with it.
    Can't wait to see your finished matel

3. September 17, 2012  10:51 am by Claudine Reply

It is beautiful!!!! I would never think it was not really rustic!!! I love trees and leaves, it gave it a nostalgic feeling!

4. September 17, 2012  11:14 am by Esra Reply

Super duper cute!!!!! I live that u get me thinking outside of the box! Keep the inspiration coming;)

5. September 17, 2012  4:57 pm by sahara Reply

LOVE IT!!!! and i love the choice of words "Falling"....the window came out so nice and rustic, it really does look like it has aged through time.

6. September 17, 2012  7:29 pm by Liz @ Sit With Me In My Garden Reply

Wow you did a fantastic job on the window! Great coloring! Your vinyl creation on it is wonderful! Such talent!

7. September 18, 2012  6:55 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

Great job aging the window... and I LOVE the font you chose for "falling"!

8. September 19, 2012  12:00 am by Suzan Reply

What a great job! Love the tree and the leaves behind the window - and the colors are perfectly " fall"

9. September 19, 2012  9:34 am by Karen Whitney Reply

This is really darling! I'm still hanging on to summer but this project is a great way for me to ease into fall. Such a beautiful piece of art!

10. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Rustic Fall Mantel

11. September 19, 2012  11:33 am by Kelly Reply

Very nice! I have a similar window in my garage that's been waiting for inspiration..it's been waiting a loooong time. :) I really like the tree idea.
    Thanks!
    Kelly

12. September 19, 2012  2:07 pm by Christine Reply

I love this SO much!

13. September 19, 2012  8:12 pm by MJ Reply

This is beautiful. I love the rustic look and the design you chose.

14. September 20, 2012  10:19 am by Rebecca Reply

Beautiful! I have some old windows laying around I should try this with :)

15. September 20, 2012  12:20 pm by Katie Drane Reply

What a cool way to repupose an old window. And I LOVE the colors you chose. Thanks so much for sharing on DIY Dreamer. I'm pinning:)

Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

16. September 21, 2012  4:21 pm by Christine Reply

SOOO COOL!!!!!!!! I want it!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

17. September 22, 2012  12:43 am by Jenn Reply

Such an awesome window!! Your finish is great and I just love the vinyl. It looks amazing with all of your other fall decor too. Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. I'll be featuring this on Sunday. Have a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

18. September 22, 2012  7:41 am by Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. Reply

OMG! Adorable! I love it! The leaves falling, the tree, the font....all of it! I made a Halloween window this week and ended up with stitches! lol Would love for you to link up to the Pomp Party!

www.createcraftlove.com/2012/09/pomp-party-36.html

19. September 22, 2012  7:56 am by Shelly Andrade Reply

This is a great tutorial! Love the colors you used too. I have to start using my Silhouette for these as I just picked up 200 glass doors!! Thanx for the inspiration!!

20. September 24, 2012  8:57 am by Jennifer Reply

Gorgeous and fun! My MIL was just asking for ideas on what to do with an old window. I will have to share this with her:)

21. September 25, 2012  2:23 am by Laquitta Reply

Great job!! I love it.

22. September 25, 2012  4:45 pm by Christine Reply

CONGRATS!!! You have been featured at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Come on over and grab your featured button! You deserve it :)

23. Pingback : Feature: Old Window Decor For The Fall Season | Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor

24. October 4, 2012  7:25 pm by Melissa G Reply

You have been featured on Monday Funday. Come grab a button. http://melsdaisypatch.blogspot.com/2012/10/monday-funday-6fall-decorations-and.html

25. October 23, 2012  11:10 am by Candie Reply

Love this revamped window! You should enter your photos from this project into Craftbaby's Fall Decor Challenge :)

26. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Mantel

27. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Spring Mantel

28. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Decorating