Retro Baby

Last week I shared with you some of the things that have been keeping me busy. Couple of those things were baby blanket orders. Last Friday I shared with you the vintage fabric rag quilt for the vintage loving mama. You are not going to believe this… vintage loving mama had her baby last Friday! How cool is that that she had her baby the same day I blogged about the quilt! Congratulations vintage loving mama! [Don’t you like the name I gaver her? hehe]

Today I’m sharing with you baby blanket order #2 for the retro loving mama. ;)

I’ve been looking forward to an opportunity (and an excuse) to get some chevron fabric, so I was so excited when the client that ordered this blanket requested chevron as one of the choices for the accent fabrics. Actually, all I read was chevron, chevron, chevron. Huh, that was an easy pick! :P

I love the colors in the Michael Miller Zoology fabric. It allowed me to bring fun, bright colors for the accent fabrics which made the blanket pop. However, I must confess that I was fooled by the giraffe. It appeared to be yellow in the images of the fabric when I purchased it, as it does in my picture above as well… doesn’t it appear to be yellow or am I just color blind? ;)  Well, it turns out it was a vanilla color. Doh! Despite that, the yellow still worked beautifully with the fabric.. Phew!

Want to make a blanket with the same layout? Just check out my easy baby blanket tutorial as your guide, then follow the following steps to make the front side of the blanket.

To make the front side of the blanket, cut out the following sizes from each fabric (includes 1/2″ inch seam allowance):

Main center fabric: 37″ w x 21″ h

Accent fabric #1 (chevron): 25″ w x 11″ h

Accent fabric #2 (polka dots): 13″ w x 11″ h

With right sides together, sew the short ends fabric #1 and fabric #2 together. Press the seam towards fabric #1, and top stitch 1/8″ from the seam. Repeat with the other two pieces of accent fabrics.

With right sides together, sew the accent fabric strips to each end of  the main center fabric. Press the seam towards the accent fabric strip, and top stitch.

Your front side of the blanket is ready to be sewn to the back side and the batting. Follow the easy baby blanket tutorial to finish off your blanket.

Baby blanket #2 is done and ready to go! I hope mama and baby love their new retro baby blanket as much as I do. :)

Congratulations to retro loving mama, and welcome retro baby!

1. September 10, 2012  9:23 am by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

I LOVE this! The fabric you selected is amazing...like I want to run out and buy some for myself. I am sure this blanket is going to be loved, if not, send it to me :)

2. September 10, 2012  9:45 am by Hani Shabbir Reply

This is such a cute baby blanket.. I love your blog's new design too! So cute and neat. :)

3. September 10, 2012  3:25 pm by ColleenB. Reply

What darling material and such a cute, cute blanket for the baby.
    Something that will be treasured I'm sure.
    I can tell by all the projects you're doing that you're not bored by any means.

4. September 10, 2012  4:56 pm by sahara Reply

These colors work great together! you should consider selling them in your etsy shop. I really think they'll make a hit. :)

5. September 12, 2012  4:52 am by ♡Marilyn (@TheArtsyMe) Reply

This is awesome.. LOVE the colors.. Sooo excited to have you on the crawl path.. It's always sooo inspiring get to work with you again..;)) SO much inspiration here.. Thanks SO much for joining in ;)) Wishing you a beautiful week. Happy Falling into Fall With YOU.. xoxo

6. September 13, 2012  12:47 am by Hubby Made Me Reply

That is such a pretty baby blanket. And I love the fabric you used! Such pretty colors! I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there and thanks so much for sharing! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-10/

7. September 14, 2012  7:58 pm by Mel Reply

Oh that's a really cool baby blanket, I love it when people move away from the really cutesie prints. Lucky baby and Mumma

8. September 17, 2012  8:11 pm by Christy Reply

I love it. What great choice of fabrics. It's all so pretty. I would love for you to link this up to my Tip Toe thru Tuesday party that starts tomorrow. I hope to see you there.

9. September 19, 2012  1:44 am by Jennifer Reply

Hello, my name is Jennifer and I just wanted to let you know that I have mentioned this post on my blog. If there is anything you would like for me to remove, please let me know. Thanks http://www.eatcraftsow.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/linkup-party-29.html

10. November 26, 2013  8:23 am by Nicole Reply

Where did you purchase this fabric?