Turquoise Pumpkins Fall Wreath

For those of you coming over from The Artsy Girl Connection’s Fall Crawl, welcome to Ode to Inspiration! Today is my turn to share a fall project with everyone. Fall is on it’s way and we need to welcome it in properly! To help welcome it, I’ve decided to make a new fall wreath for the front door. Join me, won’t you!

This is what you will need:

• Wreath
  • 6 Small faux pumpkins
  • Jute (I used 6-ply)
  • Turquoise and orange spray paint
  • f-a-l-l wooden letters (or chipboard letters)
  • 2.5″ and 2″ wide ivory lace ( 40″ long of the 2.5″ & 2 yards of the 2″)
  • Burlap ribbon
  • Brown ink stamp pad
  • Painting sponge
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Optional: brown paint, small tip paint brush, and sanding paper

First thing we need to do is all the spray painting. Be sure to cover your workspace. We are spray painting our pumpkins turquoise. Yup, you heard that right… turquoise pumpkins! In my part of town, pumpkins exist in any color your heart desires! ;) The small pumpkins I happened to find were on picks, so I inserted them into a styrofoam block. [In case you are wondering abut the aluminum foil, it’s from a previous project. :)] Next, spray paint the letters and 2.5″ lace orange.  Before spray painting, cut four 10″ long pieces of lace (cut the same amount for the 2″ lace and set to the side along with the remainder). Spray paint the 2.5″ lace lightly. The lace dries up almost instantaneously.

Optional steps:

Once your pumpkins are dry, you can leave the stems as is or paint them brown.

Once dry, you can slightly sand your letters. The spray paint I used has a gloss finish which I didn’t want, so I slightly sanded my letters to get the gloss out.

After you paint your stems if you chose to do so, using the sponge painting technique, lightly sponge “ink” onto your pumpkins creating a distressed look. I used an ink pad (Versafine) that dries up almost instantaneously. For any other ink pads, handle your pumpkin carefully to avoid smudging.

In between your spray painting, wrap your wreath with jute. Hot glue the beginning and end of the strand. I used 6-ply; the thicker your jute the less you will need of it. If you have a monster of a jute roll like I do, you may want to cut off a guesstimated amount and wrap it around something (like a popsicle stick, finished toilet roll paper, etc.) to make a smaller roll. It’ll make the wrapping process easier and faster.

By the time you are done wrapping your wreath, all of your spray painted items will be ready for glueing. Start off by glueing on the letters at the center bottom of the wreath. Next glue on your pumpkins. Then glue on your orange lace first and the ivory lace directly on top.

Finish off your wreath by creating a loop from burlap ribbon and ivory lace and tie off to the length needed.

Our fall wreaths are ready to go to welcome in the fall!

So go ahead and hang them up!

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for stopping by!

Don’t forget to join the Fall Crawl by linking up some of your own stuff too!

1. September 14, 2012  10:30 am by ♡Marilyn (@TheArtsyMe) Reply

Sooo beautiful.. I am SO in love with the colors.. I love the turquoise on pumpkin, such an excellent outcome.. LOVE it.. thanks SO very much for joining in the crawl. You are ALWAYS sooo inspiring.. ;))) Happily falling into fall with YOU.. Cheers.. :))

2. September 14, 2012  10:35 am by Kathryn Griffin Reply

Well, how cute is that! Love the color. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Bacon Time. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-14.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

3. September 14, 2012  4:50 pm by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

Everything is better in the shade of Tiffany blue...including pumpkins. Beautiful wreath!

4. September 14, 2012  11:20 pm by Britni Reply

AH! I love it! The lace is so pretty and those turquoise pumpkins are adorable! LOVE the color, it's so different and looks awesome. I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there and thank you for sharing :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-10/

5. September 15, 2012  1:17 am by ColleenB. Reply

What a great Fall wreath. Totally love the color of your pumpkins.

6. September 15, 2012  8:04 am by lindyharnarain Reply

So cute and what a fun twist with the turquoise! I hope you will link up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party (fall ideas too) if you haven't already.

7. September 18, 2012  6:53 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

This wreath is so you... if I saw it at the store I'd think to myself, "That looks like something Maysem would make!" Gorgeous, as always :-)

8. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Rustic Fall Mantel

9. October 23, 2012  10:54 am by Candie Reply

Love turquoise!! You should enter your photos from this wreath into Craftbaby's Fall Decor Challenge! :) http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/31/fall-decor

10. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Old Turned New {Fall Wreath}