Vintage Fabric Rag Quilt

I love the look of rag quilts. I made one a couple years ago and did enjoy putting it together. I made it in the traditional method of using squares. Even though it wasn’t as difficult as I expected, it definitely was time consuming! I have been wanting to make another one… Every time I see a rag quilt online, it tempts me into wanting to make one, but then I remember how long it takes to make one… all the squares you have to cut… all the squares you have to piece together… and then there’s all the cutting around all the edges. For me, it’s just one of those projects that keeps being put to the side. Well, that was until about a month ago when I came across Breida’s rag quilt over at her blog Breida with a B. Instead of squares, she used long wide stripes of fabric! Hey, no one told me I can do that! Thanks to Brieda I’m now in the know. (Hehe.) I loved the look of the ragged stripes. The best part, she made it sound easier and so much less time consuming than a bunch of squares. And it was!

Sometime ago my sister had ordered a baby blanket for a friend that is due this month. She gave me the freedom to use whatever fabric I wanted and to make it however I wished. I love those kind of orders! So guess what kind of blanket I decided to make her? A rag quilt Breida with a B. style!

What makes this rag quilt even more special are two of the fabrics that make up the first tier (fire trucks) and third tier (trains). They are both vintage fabrics that were great finds from a year or so ago. It never crossed my mind to combine the two together until the making of this blanket. The vintage trains fabric was actually a curtain.. I purchased it knowing that one day it would be great to use for a baby blanket. Sure enough here it is!

I did make sure to ask my sister if the baby mama appreciates vintage. I wouldn’t want mama to receive a gift she wasn’t going to love. Thankfully baby mama loves vintage! Gosh, good thing she did because I didn’t have a plan B. Let’s just hope she will love this quilt! I sure hope so as this is my favorite blanket that I’ve made yet!

I’m so loving the combination of all the fabrics. The boat fabric was something I stumbled upon at Joann’s… as soon as I saw it I knew it would look great teamed up with the two vintage fabrics as it also does have that old look. What do you all think of the combination of all the fabrics?

As Breida promised, this rag quilt was easy to put together…. and less time consuming! I think it’s safe to say the next time I am tempted to make a rag quilt, it won’t be pushed to the side. ;)

If you want to make your own, just go check out Breida’s post. She is great at answering questions and giving tips… because she is just awesome like that!

1. September 7, 2012  9:34 am by ColleenB. Reply

Love the fabrics and your quilt looks Awesome.
    I had made one many years ago from old pairs of jeans. Was first and last one I had ever made

2. September 7, 2012  9:53 am by breida @ breidawithab.com Reply

oh! wow! I LOVE those vintage fabrics !! Fantastic !! And thanks so much for your compliments and generosity! I'm going to go and share this on my FB page!
    breida

3. September 7, 2012  9:56 am by Maha Reply

Omg! I love the quilt. The fabrics you chose work well together. The overall blanket is just amazing!

• September 7, 2012  10:59 am by Maha Reply

I think she will love it! The baby was born today.

4. September 7, 2012  11:00 am by sahara Reply

you know Mayse, everytime i see you make a blanket, it makes me wanna attempt one myself. I'm worried I'll get frustrated, i'm sure this needs a ton of patience.

5. September 7, 2012  11:55 am by Rana Reply

I absolutely love this! I am about 4 months pregnant with my 3rd baby and I really want to try to make one once I find out what I am having.

6. September 7, 2012  2:28 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

Brings back memories of my mother making rag quilts out of scraps of fabric...Breida's are very beautiful!

7. September 7, 2012  5:53 pm by JaneEllen Reply

Hey there Busy Bee, your quilt is awesome, didn't you plan to use those fabrics together all along? Sure looked like it.
    Yeah the block deal would put me off but love the idea of those strips. Just have to make sure they're straight and go for it. Love that you sew them so the selvage is on the outside. I have lots of fabric and have wanted to make a quilt, even still have my Mom's quilt rack which I've never used but hauled all over this country. Wouldn't need the rack for that strip quilt, don't have room to put it up anywhere in our house, think it's time to sell or donate.
    Now I'll be looking for fabric in my stash and on sale anywhere. You've planted a seed in my old brain.
    As always your projects are the best girl. You only get better, love your blog.

8. September 8, 2012  10:26 am by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

What an incredibly thoughtful post and lovely rag quilt. I love that you always pay it forward and sing the praises of fellow bloggers. What goes around comes around...you my dear are a stand up blogger. The quilt you made is such a sweet and personal baby gift. I am sure the momma will love it!

9. September 8, 2012  1:55 pm by Lynda Reply

Absolutely love this! I love how you combined vintage fabrics. It would be hard for me to give that away!!

10. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Retro Baby

11. September 12, 2012  12:10 am by Beth Reply

Great fabrics! Vintage fabrics are just the BEST.

12. September 12, 2012  9:14 am by Marilyn Reply

This is great....I love the vintage fabrics

13. September 12, 2012  10:49 am by Candy Reply

It is precious. I know the baby momma will love it too.

14. September 15, 2012  8:02 pm by Jenn Reply

That is just gorgeous!! I love those rag quilts too and that vintage material looks amazing!! Lucky baby!

15. September 18, 2012  11:57 am by Jeannie Reply

I stumbled upon Breida's quilt right before I found yours and had them both on the list of quilts to make. Yours is marked off, now time to make one like hers. Love the combo of the fabrics you choose! Sure wish I knew about this kind of sewing three years ago while I was pregnant with my boys!

16. September 18, 2012  7:04 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

Great fabrics, such a unique quilt! And it looks so warm, soft and cozy!!

17. September 19, 2012  1:51 pm by northern cottage Reply

lovely lovely quilts - I'm just adoring that you've used the vintage fabrics (isn't everything better with a little vintage mixed in!?) well done girlie!

18. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » All Scraps Baby Blanket