Eid Cookie Stencils: Take 2!

Last year I had received Eid cookie stencils from Eidway which I had shared with you in this post HERE. I loved how the stencils created beautifully designed cookies that were personalized for the special occasion of Eid. This year, Eidway has designed cookie stencils specifically for Eid al-Adha, and they so kindly sent me my very own set.

Along with them, they also sent me their new cake stencil designs. In my next post I’ll show how I used the cake stencils… today it’s all about the cookies!

Before we start the cookie talk, allow me to briefly share a little bit about Eid al-Adha for those of you who are not familiar with it. Eid al-Adha (pronounced ud-ha; “ud” as in “bud”) is the festival of sacrifice and it is the bigger Eid of the two Eids (Eid al-Fitr is celebrated at the end of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting). Once a year in the lunar calendar, many Muslims perform a pilgrimage to Mecca. This pilgrimage is called Hajj. During the pilgrimage, Muslims remember and commemorate the trials and triumphs of the Prophet Abraham and his willingness to sacrifice all that’s dear to him for the sake of God. To honor his sacrifice and as part of the celebration, Muslims slaughter a lamb or a goat and use its meat to feed the poor. The spirit of Eid al-Adha is about sacrifice and sharing. This year, Eid al-Adha is estimated to fall on October 25th which means it is near… so let’s talk cookies!

For the new cookie stencils, I decided to go a slightly different route than last year’s cookie design. Instead of using royal icing for the stenciling, I decided to airbrush the images on. I had received an airbrush kit as a gift from a friend about three years ago. It’s disappointing to say that I never got to experiment with it until now… I admit that it was mainly out of intimidation. As it turns out, it wasn’t so bad after all! It took me a while to figure out how to hook up the parts, but once I did figure it out, it was easy peasy! Ha! I know not everyone has an airbrush machine, so don’t worry because Wilton’s Color Mist can be easily substituted for it.

First, I iced some of the cookies with emerald green royal icing (which I created by mixing teal and leaf green), and some of the cookies with black and white royal icing creating a chevron design. The black and white chevron cookies were inspired by Lizy B’s chevron pumpkin cookies (love ‘em!). Check out her post for the easy how to.

For the stenciling, I used an [edible] airbrush color in gold as well as Wilton’s Color Mist in gold. Once the icing on the cookies was dry, I placed a stencil on top. Holding down the stencil with one finger, I airbrushed some of the cookies and used the Color Mist on some of the others (you need to hold it down or the stencil will blow off of the cookie). The main difference between the two methods was the shade of gold; Color Mist was brighter against the green that was used. Unfortunately neither method worked on the chevron cookies. The black had shown through whether I airbrushed or used the Color Mist. No worries, I did have a plan B for the chevron cookies… now, we couldn’t let them go to waste, could we!

For the chevron cookies, I decided to first use white royal icing for the stenciling (same stenciling method as last year’s cookies).

Once the stenciled design was dry, I placed the stencil back on the design and airbrushed the white icing with the gold. I do love the end result! What do you think?

After I finished airbrushing/Color Misting, I went back to the green cookies and embellished them with fondant ruffled flowers and fondant buttons. Before adding them to the cookies, I did airbrush them in gold. I glued them on with royal icing. Lastly, I added some sparkle to the embellishments with gold disco dust.

I chose to leave the chevron cookies as is.

Eid cookies are ready to be gifted. I love these stencils! They make it so easy to create cookies that look professional! Other than cookies, you can use these stencils on cupcakes too!

Guess what? Eidway has so kindly provided me with a 10% discount code just for my readers. At checkout, enter coupon code Inspiration.

Thank you Eidway!

Let me know what y’all think!

1. October 5, 2012  9:09 am by ColleenB. Reply

Cookies look Wonderful. Is there anything that you can't do? You're amazing with all your special talents
    Have a Famtastic weeknd

2. October 5, 2012  9:14 am by Maha Reply

Maysem the cookies look amazing. I think you have a special touch with everything you do.

3. October 5, 2012  9:22 am by Rana Reply

These cookies look great. You are so talented. I would love to learn how to do this kind of decorating with cookies and cakes.

4. October 5, 2012  9:39 am by Athena at Minerva's Garden Reply

Your cookies are works of art, Maysem--just beautiful! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving an encouraging comment--glad you enjoyed my autumn mantel.

5. October 5, 2012  10:25 am by Sophie Reply

I spent the whole day looking for some eid cookies ideas...this message came right on time! Thank you for sharing your talents!

6. October 5, 2012  3:10 pm by sahara Reply

The cookies are lovely Mayse! They do look very festive. :)

7. October 5, 2012  9:34 pm by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

You are impressive. Those cookies look so pretty. I love that you have such fancy tools to decorate your cookies (even if this was the first time you used your airbrush tool. You are one talented lady!

8. October 5, 2012  11:03 pm by Esra Reply

Looks wonderful mA! Fantastic job Maysem!

9. October 6, 2012  1:33 am by JaneEllen Reply

HI Maysem You are so talented and very sweet. I'm very glad I met you online. You sure know how to do everything wonderfully.
    I appreciate how you share your life with us all. The cookies are beautiful like you.

10. October 7, 2012  2:08 am by Creative Mind Reply

Waoo..Eid is coming soon.. I love Eid festivity & fun.. lots of happiness MashaAllah :) And your cookies are just beautiful, I am sure the taste is also perfect & yummy!
    thanks for sharing dear..

Khadija
    www.creativekhadija.com

11. October 7, 2012  1:16 pm by Linda Reply

Thought you'd like to know that I featured your no sew, no glue pumpkins today. Thanks for linking up to the party and making it great. Linda

12. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Eid Al-Adha Decorations

13. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Awe-Inspiring Generosity

14. November 14, 2012  10:26 pm by Amira Fareed Reply

Love all your ideas! Just got bunch of stuff from Eidway :)) Thanks for sharing!

15. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Eid {al-Adha} Talk

16. July 9, 2014  10:50 pm by sarahjmir Reply

Came across your post while looking for Eid edible gift ideas - love your blog Maysem!!!

17. July 20, 2014  4:59 am by Sara Reply

Your cookies look wonderful! I was told my Wilton employees that they don't sell the color mist at wilton stores in the Middle East because it contains alcohol :(