Frame Turned Tray [Fall Decor]

A few months ago I had bought a frame for my mother but it didn’t work out. I didn’t need it so I had planned on returning it, but there was one problem… I lost the receipt. Arghs! It’s from Hobby Lobby, so I was fine with getting a store credit… it’s not like I won’t be using it. Off to Hobby Lobby I went to return it only to find out that I couldn’t. Since it was a clearance item, it was not returnable without a receipt. Arghs again! I guess I was stuck with the frame… so off into storage it went. I convinced myself that it’s okay for one day it’ll come into use… and that one day has finally come. Yay!

A week ago as I was trying to put together a fall centerpiece for my coffee table, I got an “ahuh” moment. This “ahuh” moment involved the frame. I wanted some sort of “tray” for my centerpiece. I had one but it didn’t do the job, and I wanted to stick to working with what I already at home. I decided that the frame will play the role of the tray, so off to work I went.

I first removed the glass, spray painted the frame ivory and then sanded it a bit to give it a distressed look.

Then I grabbed some burlap and made stencils with my Silhouette. The stencils were words that made me think of fall. With brown paint, I stenciled the words onto the burlap.

Then I placed the stenciled burlap into the frame.

Next, I removed the hook bracket from the back of the frame and placed furniture felt pads on each corner of the frame to keep the frame from scratching my table.

My new “tray” is ready, and my fall table centerpiece is all done!

Loving my new “tray”… and loving my centerpiece!

I hope you do too. Let me know what y’all think! :)

1. October 1, 2012  9:15 am by Maha Reply

I really like your tray idea. Another inspiration!

2. October 1, 2012  10:05 am by ColleenB. Reply

Love your tray as well. You done good and it looks fantastic

3. October 1, 2012  10:23 am by Jen Reply

very cute the whole grouping. GREAT job. jen

4. October 1, 2012  10:48 am by Justine Reply

Found you via 'Made by you Monday'; love this! I had a similiar idea a little bit ago using burlap in a frame but was going to put the frame on my mantle, love the "tray" idea!

5. October 1, 2012  2:40 pm by Megan Reply

What a beautiful tray! It's so simple and lovely. Megan

6. October 1, 2012  2:48 pm by Liz Reply

I love the whole thing, but the stencils just put it over the top! :)
    Darling!
    ~Liz

7. October 1, 2012  6:38 pm by esra Reply

this is lovely!!! a genius idea...I'm thinking I should get a silhouette:)

8. October 1, 2012  7:21 pm by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

Thank goodness you weren't able to return that. That tray is BEAUTIFUL. I love absolutely everything about it. It turned out GREAT. What an unbelievable transformation.

9. October 2, 2012  1:58 am by JaneEllen Reply

HI Maysem I'd been thinking I hadn't heard from you for awhile and there you are. I'm way behind on my emails.
    That tray is absolutely incredible. Sure wish I had one of those machines you use so often and so well. Who'd of thought that tray was once a frame. What a redo girl. You're incredible. I have a tray that I stenciled but it didn't turn out the way I wanted so put it aside for now. You've given me the inspiration I needed to change it. Thx for sharing girl friend. Take care.

10. October 2, 2012  2:38 pm by Leila Reply

gorgeous project! you make it look so super easy lol. Do you think it would be easy to put handles on it to use as a serving tray?

11. October 2, 2012  9:46 pm by Debbie Reply

Love what you did with the frame! It turned out perfect!
    Saw you sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.
    Debbie :)

12. October 3, 2012  8:09 am by SEL Reply

Wow! What a fantastic idea! I love the distressed look and the burlap. Great job!!

New follower through email subscription! Found you through the linkup.

xo
    SEL
    growinglaughingandlovinginlife.blogspot.com

13. October 4, 2012  6:00 am by Christine Reply

Oh WOW!!!! What a fabulous idea! It looks sooo pretty!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

14. October 4, 2012  6:01 pm by Nikky Reply

Maysem it is always so nice to see what you will come up with next. I love to come here and see your creativity at work, the results are always so refreshing. Thanks for the tutorial. Have agreat day xx Nikky

15. October 4, 2012  8:51 pm by Tracy S Reply

I love it! Perfect for fall, and I'm sure it would be easy to change it out for other seasons too. I've been stuck with un-returnables from Hobby Lobby too. So good to see you turn it into something so neat.

16. October 7, 2012  12:42 pm by The Dedicated House (@DedicatedHouse) Reply

Quite perfect! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

17. October 8, 2012  11:06 pm by Mariel Reply

Way cute! I need a tray for my empty coffee table. I love this! I would love to have you stop by 'Or so she says...' and share some of your great ideas at the link party, going on right now (every Sat-Tues). Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

18. October 11, 2012  12:54 pm by Kathryn Reply

Very pretty! And I love the way you worked aqua into your fall decor. I added aqua to my dining room this summer, and am still figuring out how to work it in with my autumn decorations.
    You've got a new follower!

19. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Table Centerpieces: From Fall to Winter

20. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Getting Ready for Spring

21. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Spring Mantel

22. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Eid {Al-Adha} Mantel