Crafting with Anthropologie

A few weeks ago Anthropologie had holiday vignette workshops at some store locations. I thought how fun would that be so I joined the workshop at the store in my area. Boy, I’m so glad I did! It was so much fun meeting wonderful people and crafting with them!

The assignment: Each store is to create a holiday vignette using winter animals.

Participants duty: Making the fur that will be used to cover the bodies of the animals… these animals included a big polar bear, hares, and a moose head.

That polar bear was amazing even before the fur was added so wait until you see the end result! Check out how the hare was made… that’s the same hare before it was completely covered with masking tape and after it was completely covered. All the animals were constructed by the store’s display manager, Despina, from start to finish! As a matter of fact, all the cool decorations and displays you see in the Anthropologie stores are actually made by the display managers of each store! Talk about talented!

That’s what we, the partipants worked on… the fur! The fur was made out of deli wax paper sheets. We just kept cutting away until we finished all the boxes that were given to us. It took us about three hours to finish all the boxes. That’s three boxes of 500 sheets per box. Are you wondering if my hand was sore the next day… you betcha! As I’m sure were the others. :D

As we chopped, one of the hares started growing some fur. Doesn’t he look great so far!

Once we did finish cutting the fur, we headed out leaving Despina behind with the animals…  and with anticipation for the store’s holiday vignette… which we were sure was going to look fabulous! Hey, it’s Anthro… of course it’s going to look fab!

On Monday, I made a trip to Anthropologie, and check out who greeted me at the door….

It was Mr. Polar Bear all decked out in fur… and enjoying his cup of coffee!

And not far behind were his three little friends the hares.

Don’t they all look fabulous!! Despina did an amazing job bringing these creatures to life!

Hehe… just had to include the back of Mr. Polar Bear.. it cracked me up!

Now, the moose head didn’t make his way to the party yet… but I was informed he sure will be making an appearance along with more holiday fun! I can’t wait to see the rest of the store’s holiday display!!

I’m so thankful for the opportunity to participate in an Anthropologie holiday vignette workshop. I enjoyed getting to know Despina and the other ladies that participated… I felt like I was sitting around with long time friends, crafting away and having a good ol’ time! And how awesome is it to say I helped out with Anthro’s holiday vignette… even if it’s a tiny role that was played! :D

Did you have a workshop held at an Anthropologie near you? Did you participate?

1. November 14, 2012  9:13 am by Violet Reply

I read about these workshops last time I was on-line eyeing the new Antho Winter catalogue! What a great idea! Fantastic photos Maysem! Thanks for sharing. Wish there was an Anthro store near us - love that store!

2. November 14, 2012  9:15 am by Annabelle Reply

Thank you for bringing this to us. I'd never have seen it if you didn't share.
    What a super idea and possibly one we might try on our own, smaller version of course.
    Who would have thought wax paper could be so cool.

3. November 14, 2012  9:51 am by Maha Reply

What a wonderful experience for you! I know you really enjoyed yourself. Our Anthro had a huge Snowflake centered in the store. But I really love that Polar Bear!

4. November 14, 2012  11:21 am by amy of while wearing heels Reply

I'm a bit jealous :). That looked like SO much fun. What a great way to spend the day. That bear and those bunnies are ADORABLE. Seriously, who knew that much work went into some of their displays. Love it!!!

5. November 14, 2012  11:29 am by Aziza Reply

That is so cool!!! I'm so happy you had the opportunity to participate, the animals and the "fur" are very ingenious!

6. November 14, 2012  3:21 pm by ColleenB. Reply

WOW. Simply Amazing. That polar bear is so cool.
    Sounds like you really had loads of fun.

7. November 14, 2012  5:30 pm by Ahlam Reply

You're so cute Maysem!

8. November 15, 2012  1:09 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

What a great way to spend a day, especially for someone like you Maysem! i think being the display manager would be a terrific job as long as one doesn't hit a creative dry spell. If it took a group of you 3 hours and many sore hands to get all of the cutting done I imagine she was so happy not to have to do all of that by herself! The animals turned out terrific! I wish I lived closer to go see them in person in the store. I should check into our local Anthropologie to see what their display is like. I like the idea of the display manager being responsible for the decorations like that so that each store will be creatively different. So much more interesting than just setting out a bunch of decorations sent out from the corporate office!

9. November 19, 2012  10:07 pm by Claudine Reply

Hi, Maysem!
    I had never heard of these workshops before!
    Yes, the Polar Bear is adorable, lol!
    My new website is now ready for followers!
    Please check me out at www.restory.ca
    Hugs
    Claudine

10. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Gift Basket Making With Anthro!

11. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Spring Wreath