No Sew Snowman

Last week on Tuesday I did a guest post over at Craftionary where I shared the how tofor a no sew snowman. Just in case you missed it, I thought to share it with you all right here on OTI… As you already may know, one of my favorite things about the winter time are snowmen! They are so stinkin’ cute! But sometimes it’s just too cold to go outside or sometimes there’s no snow to make a snowman, so how about just making one right at home where’s it’s warm and cozy. A no sew snowman, that is! Hey, sit in front of your fireplace if you would like… I promise he won’t melt away!

Grab the following supplies and let’s get started!

Supplies:

• White crushed velvet fabric (37″ inches x 31″ inches)
  • Jute (6 ply)
  • Fiberfill
  • Piece of yarn
  • A sleeve from an old sweater
  • Buttons
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun
  • Something to act as weight (rice, beans, rocks, etc.) [See note in step #2]

Step 1. Fold your fabric with the shorter ends together, and cut out a wide half oval shape. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Step 2. Unfold your oval with wrong side of the fabric up, and fill with fiberfill. (*Note: I realized that I forgot to mention one optional step when I did the guest post. If you want your snowman to be able to stand on its own, at this point you will want to add some sort of weight under the fiberfill; like beans, rice, rocks, etc.)

Step 3. Gather the ends of the oval together. At this point, you can add or subtract the fiberfill if needed. Once satisfied with the amount of fiberfill, tie off the gathered end with a piece of yarn and trim the long ends of the yarn.

Step 4: Take a long piece of jute and wrap it at the center of the oval to create two “snowballs” making the top half slightly smaller than the bottom. Tie your jute into a bow and separate the ends into strands. Also, at this point, go ahead and trim off the access fabric from the top of your snowman’s head.

Step 5. Take the sweater sleeve and cut it a bit more than half way from the wider end. Place the larger sleeve half on top of the snowman’s head, fold the bottom end of the sleeve up, and tie off the top end with a piece of jute with a double knot. Optional: With your glue gun, glue the hat to the snowman’s head. All you need is one dot of glue on the front, back, and sides.

Step 6. Take a smaller piece of jute and tightly double knot it with the second knot directly on top of the first knot. Make three. Then for two of the knots, cut off both ends. These are the eyes. For the the third knot, cut off only one end and trim the other end to shorten if needed. This is the “carrot” nose.

Step 7. With your hot glue gun, glue on the eyes, nose and buttons. Optional: embellish your snowman’s hat with a button.

Your no sew snowman is all done!

Decorate your snowman any way you would like. Use different fabric too! Have fun with it! I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!

1. December 5, 2012  10:15 am by Meg Reply

Oh My! This snowman is so very cute! I am no good at sewing-so I am excited to see that this involves 'string' and a hot glue gun. I can't wait to try this myself. I found your blog via Someday Crafts and have just subscribed...looking forward to your future posts!

2. December 5, 2012  11:39 am by Nikky Reply

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial Maysem. It is quite easy to make especially for people who have little time to sew. Easy peasy and so beautiful. I am so inspired when I visit your blog, thanks for that. Nikky

3. December 5, 2012  1:30 pm by Hani Shabbir Reply

Maysem thanks so much for the wonderful guest post. :) Love it!
    Have a nice day my friend.

4. December 5, 2012  1:49 pm by Maha Reply

Very cute Mr. Snowman!

5. December 5, 2012  9:46 pm by Debi @ Adorned From Above Reply

this is a great tutorial and the snowman is adorable. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

6. December 6, 2012  5:38 am by ColleenB. Reply

They are Adorable and just darn right cute as can be.
    Wonderful tutorial. Thank you 4 the step by step insturctions. I just wish I had the time to make me some, but saving your instructions and putting my 'to-do' binder :}

7. December 7, 2012  9:17 am by Katie Reply

So cute! I would love if you linked up to Fall Into the Holidays, running from Saturdays until Thursday. This week's round is already live!

Katie @ Horrific Knits

8. December 7, 2012  10:19 am by Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch Reply

What a fun project and decoration!! I would love for you to link this post to my weekly Tasty Thursdays linky party going on right now. Thanks, Nichi

9. December 7, 2012  10:48 am by rea Reply

hahaha those little snowmen are so adorbs!! so cute :)) i also like no-sew, did no sew curtains & no-sew pillowcases myself:) i am in the process of learning how to really sew...

stopping by thru anything goes linky @ bacon time, come and visit me back at:

huggies***
    rea

10. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Wonderland Vignette

11. December 12, 2012  10:10 am by Annie Reply

Great snowman idea! They are so cute!

12. Pingback : Pin’inspiring

13. December 17, 2012  3:51 pm by Marissa Reply

Aw, that is SO cute.

14. Pingback : Link Round-up: A Luminizer, a DIY Tinsel Purse, and More Gift Ideas | Smart Mom Style

15. Pingback : 9 Simple Christmas Decorating Ideas — A Cultivated Nest