Winter Mantel

For this year’s winter mantel, I wanted to highlight my grandmother’s embroidered pillow cases. As I shared in the previous post, my mother had passed them on to me. I chose to frame the pillow cases to preserve my grandmother’s lovely work. To keep the focus on the pillow cases, I added simple pieces that create a subtle winter theme to the mantel.

Are you surprised that there’s a hint of teal in my mantel? Of course you’re not! Haha! I can’t help but carry it from one season to the next since shades of teal are my favorite after all! Besides, it’s the perfect color for this season!

You might remember my falling leaves window. The fall scenery I had created for it was made out of vinyl. I chose to use vinyl so I would be able to change up the window. I did carefully remove the vinyl and store it so I can be able to use it again for next fall. This time I added sparkly snowflakes. The white snowflakes I found at the dollar store and the teal snowflake is from Target. I originally adhered them with sticky dots but because of the glitter by the end of the night the snowflakes were falling off refusing to stick, so I used a dot of hot glue instead. Hot glue can easily be removed from glass, and so far the snowflakes are staying up!

Other than snowflakes, another staple of the winter season is cinnamon sticks. I had scored that stack of long cinnamon sticks at the end of last year’s holiday season’s sales from Michael’s.

My blue mason jars give an ice effect. Don’t ya think? I added pine cones to one of the jars… another winter staple!

Last but not least is this little guy and the horn. Both vintage shopping finds. The horn was one of those exciting purchases. At the time I bought it, the shop I purchased it from was running a 50% promo on all items found in the Christmas section, so I scored that horn for $.75! How awesome is that! But I guess either price would have been a score. And isn’t that little snowman so adorable! As I mentioned before, I LOVE snowmen so this little guy just had to join the collection! He made it on last year’s winter mantel as well, but he came along after I had already shared the mantel with everyone.

There you have it… this year’s winter mantel!

As always, I would love to hear your thoughts so type away y’all!

1. December 3, 2012  9:39 am by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Your mantel looks lovely. So glad to see your teal touches have remained through another mantel season. The vintage horn and snowman, adorable. The embroidered pillows framed and displayed are the perfect addition. They are so beautifully featured and represented. May you feel your grandma's presence each time you look at your mantel.

2. December 3, 2012  9:40 am by Claudine Reply

Dear Maysem! Yes, I remember the Fall window, I am so glad you used that here! And I love the teal touches!
    Have a great week!

3. December 3, 2012  11:28 am by ColleenB. Reply

It's lovely. You done a great job; as always when it comes to decorating of your mantel.
    Also love the tough of the teal color. :}

4. December 3, 2012  1:56 pm by Esra Reply

Absolutely stunning. The pillow cases are such a great touch! As always u do great things missy!

5. December 3, 2012  8:20 pm by ayesha Reply

Beautiful :)

6. December 3, 2012  10:11 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

This is so lovely! There is nothing (well maybe few things) that make a home in winter feel more cozy than the smell of cinnamon sticks simmering away and the resulting tea is especially effective for sore throats I find. My little guy would go gonzo for that horn! We have a french horn ornament made out of some sort of shell that he is constantly removing from the tree and "playing". It's a wonder it isn't broken yet... But he actually is very gentle with it. love the falling snow window asn your teal touches. Very "Maysem"! And the framed embroidery is of course the best part of all!

7. December 4, 2012  1:15 am by Nikky Reply

Awwwwwwwww, you make me want a Fireplace mantel now....I really loved that you used your framed pillow covers to accent your mantel with and add a vintage window with snowflakes, how simple and how effective! The color theme is brilliant, well done once again Mayhem. Keep up the good work, the inspirations coming. Nikky

8. December 4, 2012  9:51 am by Sara Reply

This is SO CUTE!! Hope you can link up at my trendy tuesday party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/12/trendy-tuesday-15.html

9. December 5, 2012  9:25 pm by Jen Reply

Great colors, and Oh' so soft and pretty. hugs, jen

10. December 6, 2012  9:23 pm by Michele Reply

LOVE your mantel. The shabby chic window frame and snow flakes are my favorite! Pinning:) Stop over. I posted http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/12/doily-tree.html and up cycled denim to the made you look party:)

11. December 8, 2012  10:10 pm by hanna Reply

This is so cute!!! I love it!!!! Great blog too. I'm Hanna and I am your newest follower:) HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

xoxoxo Hanna

12. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Eid {Al-Adha} Mantel