Upholstered Folding Chairs Makeover

I do believe that almost anything can be transformed from “blah” to “pretty”.

Upholstery Folding Chairs

Including these ugly folding chairs.

All you need is some nice fabric and spray paint….

Upholstered Folding Chairs Makeover

and Voila!

Folding Chair Makeover

The most difficult part was removing the screws that held down the seat cushions and back rests. The chairs were quite old, so the screws were worn out. I had to cut them off which was quite a task. Yes, there were some words flying around. What you expect to be the easiest project always has some glitch in it, so it seems. Ha!

Folding Chair Upholstery MakeoverOnce the screws were removed, it was quite easy to remove the old fabric… all I had to do is remove the million and one staples. I used the original fabric as my template to cut out the new fabric covers. Then I stapled on the new fabric with a million and one staples. ;)

Folding Chairs Makeover

I spray painted the chairs using Krylon’s almond (it has become my favorite go to neutral color). No need to properly spray paint the areas that the seat cushion and back rest will be covering.

Now at this point, I didn’t feel like making a run to Home Depot for new screws… instead I opted to use E6000 glue to adhere the seat cushion and back rest. That glue is truly my hero… always coming through for me! It works wonders folks! You wouldn’t believe what I have used this glue for… and still holding up beautifully!

(Note: Of course, if your screws are reusable do go that route.)

Upholstered Folding Chairs

Chairs are all done. Don’t they look so much nicer?

These are for my sister-in-law, so I sure hope she liked the makeover.

1. January 23, 2013  9:14 am by ahlam Reply

I LOVE this! I actually think I can do this! :) Yay! Thanks for the tip on the glue. I am always looking for good strong glue!

2. January 23, 2013  9:15 am by Amy of While Wearing Heels Reply

That's one heck of a transformation. Beautiful job! I never would have thought to reupholster folding chairs. This changes everything :)

3. January 23, 2013  9:42 am by Leila Reply

beautiful!! it's so awesome how something like this can be redone to look fab.

4. January 23, 2013  9:59 am by Robin Reply

This is great, I have some folding chairs that need some love.Great tutorial. I’m your newest follower. I would love for you to share this at my Fluster’s Creative Muster Party @ http://www.flusterbuster.com/2013/01/flusters-creative-muster-party-4.html

Hugs and Smiles,
    Robin @ Fluster Buster

5. January 23, 2013  10:15 am by Rana Reply

This is such a great idea. We just redid our dining room chairs and it was so much easier than i thought it would be. I never would have thought it was possible to reupholster folding chairs.

6. January 23, 2013  10:22 am by Maha Reply

I love your chairs! I had no idea that you could work with folding chairs and make them a beautiful decorative piece. Another wonderful inspiration! Good job!

7. January 23, 2013  10:29 am by loveliveandgarden.com Reply

OMG!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!! Cheap & chic extra seating for garden parties. So fab!

8. January 23, 2013  12:33 pm by denyse@crazy beautiful life Reply

I may have to go in search of some old folding chairs. They look great!!

I'm having a STRUT YOUR STUFF Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and come show off your best projects. Or, just come link up your blog!!

I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

9. January 23, 2013  12:37 pm by Jeni Verdery (@Igotthismartha) Reply

I have to do this! I inherited my Grandma's folding table and chairs. It has a lovely marbled green vinyl on the chairs and table. Recovering it would make it look brand new! It is in really good shape!

10. January 23, 2013  1:36 pm by Esra Reply

This was a beautiful transformation!!!!

11. January 23, 2013  3:14 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

I love the new fabric you used! What a difference between the before and after!

12. January 23, 2013  6:00 pm by ColleenB. Reply

What a great improvement. The chairs look wonderful. I'm sure your sister-in-law will be very pleased
    Don't know what I would do without my E6000. Good stuff that glue. I just have to hide it from my husband is all or I would never see it again.

13. January 23, 2013  7:54 pm by Michele Reply

Love the fabric your chose!!! Had some real ugly folding chairs, but we donated them. An up-do like this would have been sweet! Swing by http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/sweet-heart-pillow-upcycle.html

14. January 23, 2013  8:07 pm by sahara Reply

WOW MAyse! Such a HUGE transformation!!

15. January 23, 2013  10:28 pm by Sarah Reply

I need to re-do my black ones! Love how these turned out.

16. January 24, 2013  2:06 am by doreen Reply

Wow - you really changed the entire look of these chairs. Great job! Hope your S-I-L loves them. I'm pinning this!

17. January 24, 2013  6:13 pm by Ginger Reply

Ooh, I was just wondering about reupholstering some folding chairs today. Thanks for sharing this. Now I know it can be done. :)

I'd love if you shared this project at my Show & Tell party this week. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/01/show-tell-10.html

18. January 24, 2013  9:57 pm by Megan Reply

These look absolutely amazing!! What a great idea. My folding chairs are practically new but I may have to try this out anyways. :) Thanks so much for the inspiration.

19. January 25, 2013  3:48 am by Design Fluff Reply

Beautiful! Love this transformation. :)

20. January 25, 2013  9:26 am by Annie Reply

Great transformation! Next time I see old folding chairs, I am not going to pass them up!

21. January 25, 2013  9:43 am by Brooke Reply

So cute! I did the same thing to mine last year, but I did bright colors. I want to re-do them again in lighter colors like yours. Thanks so much for sharing!

22. January 26, 2013  9:19 am by Chessa Reply

Wow! Those look amazing! I'd love to do the same thing! Thanks for the inspiration.

23. January 26, 2013  7:42 pm by DesignedDecor Reply

Great makeover! I like the patter and colors!
    I just started a new link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party4/

DeDe@DesignedDecor

24. January 26, 2013  11:47 pm by Rilos & MiMi Reply

Love these, I bought all the stuff to do this a few months ago and haven't gotten around to it yet!

25. January 27, 2013  4:28 pm by Jen Reply

Visiting from the Nifty Thrifty Party- these turned out so well! I did almost the exact thing a few weeks ago to a couple folding chairs I have- http://girlinthegarage.net/2013/01/a-tale-of-two-chairs So funny!

26. January 28, 2013  9:40 am by Diana Rambles Reply

Excellent transformation! I pinned!!

27. January 28, 2013  1:23 pm by Jenn Reply

Perfect redo! I'd love it if you stopped by and linked up at Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-4.html

28. January 28, 2013  5:26 pm by Amanda Reply

What a great idea! I'll have to be on the hunt for folding chairs at the thrift stores from now on!

I would love it if you would link up at Martha Mondays, open now through Wednesday night!

~Amanda
    www.watchoutmartha.net

29. January 28, 2013  9:44 pm by thebensonstreet Reply

IN LOVE WITH THESE CHAIRS! Thanks for sharing!

30. January 29, 2013  12:47 pm by Crystelle Boutique Reply

You are right: definitely Blah to super pretty!

I am so inspired. I have some folding chairs in the garage waiting for this same makeover, I think..... :)

hugs x
    Crystelle

31. January 29, 2013  3:04 pm by Nancy Reply

WOW, huge improvement!
    I'd love for you to stop by and link this up at my link party, which is live right now. It is for new and OLD projects!
    Hope to see you there!

32. January 29, 2013  5:56 pm by Stella Marie Reply

Truely lovely. I hope some ugly folding chairs come my way so I can do this!!

33. January 31, 2013  7:52 am by Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com Reply

Featuring YOU today! Thank you so much for sharing at {wow me} wednesday! :)

Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

34. February 1, 2013  10:02 am by parloandlogi Reply

This is a fantastic idea! I'm drooling over your fabric choice!

I'd love it if you would share this on my Friday link-up party!!

35. February 1, 2013  9:48 pm by Kathie Reply

Hello!
    Show and Tell Saturday at Sassy Little Lady is LIVE! I’d love to have you share your post!

Kathie

36. February 2, 2013  8:56 am by Vel Reply

love it! they can even be out all the time in my dining room! great job!

37. February 4, 2013  11:55 am by Cheryl@ Sew Can Do Reply

Thanks for sharing such a great transformation. I'm thrilled to have it as a feature it at this week’s link party. Be sure to grab a Featured On button if you haven't already. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

38. September 3, 2013  5:46 pm by Yasmine Reply

Fabulous! I really love this idea. I think I have a couple of those exact same folding chairs sitting in my basement. I'm going to try this. Wish me luck!

39. September 3, 2013  5:48 pm by Yasmine Reply

Oops, I didn't notice the date on this posting. I saw it today on my LinkedIn stream!

Bird Cage Makeover

Last week on Valentine's Day I went thrift shopping. The thrift store I went to had a Valentine's Day sale: anything pink, red, or with hearts was $1..it just needed to have a spec[...]

Thrift Shop Chair Makeover

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Since we had a holiday break last week, it didn't feel like much of a weekend for me. I had to stop and think what day of the week it was to re[...]

Let Love Grow {Goodwill Chair Makeover}

Do you remember these chairs that I found at the Goodwill for $1.99? The chairs that I stole, but I really didn't. Well, not literally stole, but mind as well call it that at $1.99[...]