Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe: The Best or Just My Fave?

I bet you thought I was done with cookies. Not quite yet, but this time it’s chocolate chip cookies! My favorite kind of cookie. Back in my Cookies & Milk post, I had mentioned that I’ve been wanting to give the New York Times chocolate chip cookie recipe a try. The reason for my procrastination? When we [my household] want chocolate chip cookies, we want them NOW! For those of you that are not familiar with this recipe, it requires that the dough is refrigerated for at least 36 hours before baking (actually the recipe states 72 hours). Well, I finally made them… and waited the full 72 hours before baking! Were they worth the wait? You betcha!! They are hands down the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I’ve made yet. They were perfect… crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. And that chocolate… oh boy!! When the tray of cookies came out of the oven, the melted chocolate was truly a sight for sore eyes. :P

New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

For me, the chocolate played the biggest role. Other than the quality, the size of the disk was an important factor… the traditional chip size just won’t do the job… you need the disk! I didn’t have easy access to the chocolate that is required. I thought I would find it at Whole Foods, but no luck there. I had to order online, so I did go with the Jacques Torres chocolate disks (available in 2lb & 4lb). I’m so glad I did. That chocolate was so worth it! Folks…Do.Not.Skimp.Out.On.The.Chocolate. I repeat…Do.Not.Skimp.Out.On.The.Chocolate. [Note: I did price around and for high quality chocolate the pricing/pound is reasonable… it’s just the shipping cost that bites.] As a matter of fact, you should never skimp out on the chocolate no matter what recipe you use.

Okay, enough of the chocolate talk. Back to the topic on hand… the NYT chocolate chip cookies. Oh yes! They are winners with my family too. Are they the best in the world? I have no idea… I don’t know if I believe such a thing really exists (for anything). Do you? So I won’t sit here and claim them to be the best. Every time a chocolate chip cookie (or anything) has been claimed to be the best it turns out to not be the best. The best is what each person believes to be the best… so instead of saying the best I will call this recipe my fave… thus far.

NYT Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Since the hubby and I love coconut and pecans in our cookies, I added them to half the batch. Mm. Mm. Mm.

Even though these cookies are just for my family, I thought to have some fun with packaging. Don’t worry, I didn’t package all of them. Hehe.

The recipe tells you to make each cookie dough about the size of a golf ball (about 3.5 oz), so they spread out to about 4-5 inches. I’m sure you can make them smaller, but with the size of the chocolate disks you may not want to go smaller. With 4-5 inches, they were a good fit for the waxed paper sandwich bags.

Take A Bite Cookie Packaging

I stamped each bag with some fun phrases… Take a Bite

The Real Deal Cookie Packaging

The Real Deal

Calories Well Invested Cookie Packaging

Big Stuffand Calories Well Invested. Hehe… they sure were well invested. ;)

I don’t really recommend stamping waxed paper bags… a lesson learned after stamping the bags. The ink refuses to dry so when touched it will smear. Does anyone know of any type of ink pad that would work on waxed paper? Maybe Versafine… I’ve had good experience with it drying instantaneously but not sure if it would do the same on waxed paper.  I think that calls for some experimentation!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Packaging

So now it’s your turn. Tell me what’s the best chocolate chip cookie you made? What’s your fave recipe?

1. February 6, 2013  11:07 am by Jess Reply

I am a Tollhouse girl through and through - that recipe is my fave. Ironic that you wrote this post today because last night I took a giant tub of tollhouse premade dough out of our freezer and plan on indulging this current chocolate chip cookie craving tonight with some fresh baked goodness!!

2. February 6, 2013  2:00 pm by ColleenB. Reply

Cookies really look yummy.
    I mostly use the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe with one difference; I have one secret ingredient that I add to my dough.
    I do make my own cake flour tho but have never heard of using bread flour for cookies. I always just use all-purpose flour. Bread flour I use for my bread and homemade cinnamon rolls.
    Usually when I mix cookie dough, I normally double, sometimes triple the recipe some to bake and the rest of the dough I form into about 12 inch logs;wrap in freezer paper and then wrap with plastic wrap and store in the freezer for later use. When I get the craving for more chocolate chip cookies, I just take out a log from the freezer, slice and put on baking sheet and bake.

3. February 6, 2013  6:52 pm by Mocha43 Reply

Yummy! I love your basic Nestlé Toll House recipe. But I would like to try your recipe here. I am definitely in the mood for some Chocolate Chip Cookies!

4. February 6, 2013  7:33 pm by Amy of While Wearing Heels Reply

Those cookies look delicious, as have all your other cookies. I am not sure I would have the patience to wait 72 hours to bake them, though. I love how you packaged these cookies and that you stamped them with fun sayings. AND, I appreciate your honesty about stamping on wax bags, I wondered if it would smudge. If you figure out how to do it without the smudging, let me know. Until then, enjoy these cookies. Yum!

5. February 7, 2013  2:49 am by ColleenB. Reply

when stamping on waxed paper, you do need to set it aside and leave it alone for it to dry or very carefully use a heating tool to heat set the ink

6. February 7, 2013  7:06 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

I don't imagine after 72 hours in our fridge there would be much dough left to bake! I do wonder if a multi-batch was mixed could unspecified time as frozen dough do the same for this recipe as the fridge time recommended? Cookies look amazing!

7. February 8, 2013  4:41 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

I knew that Jacque Torres makes the best chocolate and the NY Times cookie recipe is definitely one I need to try...I love your cute packaging...of course you would package cookies so creatively!!!

8. February 9, 2013  9:09 pm by Jen Reply

What a cute & clever way to to package up cookies.

9. February 10, 2013  2:37 am by Jenn Reply

I have been hearing so much about this recipe lately! I guess i will have to try it! ;) Your packaging is so cute too. Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. I will be featuring these tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Jenn :)

10. February 10, 2013  11:12 am by Mindie Reply

These look like great cookies and your packaging is so pretty. Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time!

11. February 10, 2013  6:36 pm by Mica Reply

One trick I learned from America's Test Kitchen, is to brown the butter and let it cool. The browned bits of butter give cookies a yummy toffee flavor. Also, when blending the butter and sugars, blend for 30 seconds, let sit for 3 min. Do this 3 times and the sugar will be completely incorporated with the butter.

12. February 12, 2013  6:08 pm by Salwa Reply

omgsh ive made this recipe before but didn't refrigerate the dough or use awesome chocoalte like you. You are tempting me to attempt this next week yum!! Warm chocolate chip cookies with a scoop of ice cream! :-)

13. Pingback : 10 jolies idées de DIY avec du Baker Twine | lemarcheeclectique

14. July 14, 2013  8:30 pm by Michelle C. Reply

Those cookies look great, I'll definitely have to try them. As for your stamps, when I used to work at an engineering firm they would stamp the blue prints before they sent them out. The blue prints were on a waxy paper, so they used some sort of powder to set the ink; you could try that! I wonder if you could just use something like flour, or if you need a special powder, worth a try!