Spring Wreath

I hadn’t planned on making a new spring wreath because I still love the one that I have.

Fabric Flower Spring Wreath

I made this one a couple years ago and been using it since then. However, inspiration has struck which has prompted me to want to make a new wreath. The inspiration?

Vintage Style Cupcake Liners

These cupcake liners that I found in Michaels bargain section.

Normally, I do buy cupcake liners for the purpose they were invented… for cupcakes [or presenting other sweets]. However, this time I had another plan for these pretty cupcake liners…. flowers!

Cupcake Liners Flowers

And I thought cupcake liner flowers would team up nicely with a coffee filter wreath. I’ve wanted to make a coffee filter wreath for some time now, but it’s just one of those things that get added on that long To Do craft list… a list that never seems to come to an end. No doubt I’m not the only one with that kind of list!

I’m sure most of you (if not all of you) are already familiar with the coffee filter wreath. A gorgeous wreath that is so simple to make.

Coffee Filter Wreath Supplies

All you need to make a coffee filter wreath is a wreath (I used a 12 inch), coffee filters (about 300 for a 12 inch), and a hot glue gun (along with a lot of glue sticks).

Coffee Filter Wreath Tutorial

Fold the coffee filters in half twice creating a pie shape. Apply glue to the bottom of the folded piece and adhere to your wreath. The goal is to cover the top, inner and outer sides of the wreath. There really are no rules to which side you should start with but I find it easiest starting with the top. I did mine in this order: top, inner, outer. You can fold all of your filters first if you want, but I folded as I went along. Very important tip: Don’t burn your fingers! No matter how careful I am with that darn gun, I still manage to burn myself. [Sigh… along with a head shake. ;)]

Once you are done with your wreath, you can use it as is… just attach a ribbon to hang. Frankly, a coffee filter wreath stands alone beautifully. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the finished wreath alone before adding the flowers. I think I was too excited to get to the flowers. ;)

Now, if you would like to add some flowers like I did, follow along! Grab some cupcake liners (6 liners/flower), scissors, and glue (I used my hot glue gun since I was already working with it).

Cupcake Liner Flower Tutorial

Fold four of the liners in half twice (like we did with the coffee filters). For the other two liners, cut the bottom of each liner out leaving you with the sides of the liner. Take one of the cut out bottoms and place a drop of glue in the center. Place the four folded liners on top of the glue, slightly overlapping the sides of the liners. Once the glue has dried (if you are using a hot glue gun, it’ll dry fast), go around and cut all the folded sides of each petal more than half way down. Fluff up all the upper two petals.

Cupcake Liner Flowers Tutorial 2

For the flower center, start out by cutting slits into the two strips. Cut the slits about half way down; no further. Then apply a small drop of glue at the beginning of one end (apply glue below where the slit ends) and start rolling, applying small drops of glue every so often until you reach the end. Proceed with the next strip directly on top of the first rolled strip. Cut the rolled piece in two slightly more than half way down. Taking the top piece only, apply glue all over the bottom and then attach it to the center of the flower. Spread out the slit sides.

Easy peasy, right?!

Cupcake Liner Leaves

I also used cupcake liners to make leaves. Even more easy peasy than the flowers. I’ll show you!

Cupcake Liner LeavesFold a cupcake liner in half and, as you hold the bottom end, open up the sides. Apply glue and fold the bottom end towards one side. That’s it!

Coffee Filter Spring Wreath

The last addition to my wreath is this little silver birdie. Back in this post here, I had shared with you my crafting day with Anthropologie. The store display manager had made these little birdies for all the volunteers. A sweet keepsake gift that was just the perfect addition to my spring wreath!

Coffee Filter Wreath with Cupcake Liner FlowersMy new spring wreath is ready to go and I’m loving it! What do you think?

The only thing I forgot to take into consideration when going with white coffee filters vs. natural was the color of my door…

Spring Coffee Filter Wreath with Cupcake Liner Flowers

Doh! It doesn’t stand out as much as I would have liked. I originally had planned on going with natural colored coffee filters, but was concerned my flowers wouldn’t stand out as much against the brown. Heh… careful to avoid one problem to be only confronted with another! Ha!

1. February 18, 2013  9:13 am by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

This is gorgeous! The cupcake liners at Michael's can be so lovely. This was a great alternative use for them. I really like the little bird peaking out from amongst the flowers!

2. February 18, 2013  9:36 am by Leila Reply

wow this is beautiful! love the use of the cupcake wrappers, I never would have thought to use them like that. lovely project!

3. February 18, 2013  12:45 pm by Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers Reply

Beautiful wreath@ I love how it turned out. I might have to snag some cupcake liners to make some flowers like this for a future project. Thanks for the inspiration!

4. February 18, 2013  12:56 pm by Leisa Reply

What a clever idea--it turned out beautifully! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

5. February 18, 2013  1:41 pm by sahara Reply

Mayse, this came out so beautiful! And I'm sure required a ton of patience.

6. February 18, 2013  5:19 pm by Amy of While Wearing Heels Reply

Wow. That is beautiful. Those cupcake liners are really pretty. Your wreath does make me yearn for spring days. I am surprised you are moving forward with spring inspired things since you love snow and winter so much :)

7. February 19, 2013  12:03 am by Chelsea @ Someday I'll Learn Reply

Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to have you come link this up to our Teach Me Tuesday Linky - it's brand new and in need of creative contributions! http://www.somedayilllearn.com/2013/02/18/teach-me-tuesday-5/

8. February 19, 2013  10:19 am by Jess Reply

Absolutely adorable, as always!!! I LOVE the one you already had, but the new one is divine as well! Very inspiring!!

9. February 19, 2013  1:27 pm by bloominghomestead Reply

So pretty and just screams Spring! I would love for you to share at my link party.
    -Marie

10. February 19, 2013  4:35 pm by ColleenB. Reply

WOW! your wreath really turned out awesome.
    I see you found some pretty cupcake liners at your Michaels. Can't find nothing that pretty here in my area.
    Your little birdie is perfect; sitting there so nice and proud among the flowers

11. February 21, 2013  5:53 pm by Jamie Austin Reply

This is so pretty!!! I love those cupcake liner flowers!

12. February 21, 2013  6:42 pm by Tonia@thegunnysack Reply

Beautiful! I love those flowers! Thanks for sharing at The Gunny Sack!

13. February 21, 2013  6:46 pm by cindyeikenberg Reply

Saw your beautiful wreath at 52 Mantels and wanted to stop over, say hello and that I love it! ~Cindy, littlemisscelebration.com

14. February 22, 2013  7:23 pm by Christina at I Gotta Create! Reply

Very pretty! That little pop of color with the fullness of the wreath is so springy.

Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open

15. February 22, 2013  7:43 pm by curiositaellya Reply

I love this. I think I am going to create one welcoming Spring time...!!

Thank you for sharing.

16. February 23, 2013  8:31 am by Marilyn Reply

Wow, I love your wreath..it is so light and airy...love how you used cupcake liners for the flowers!

17. Pingback : 32 Ways to Bring SPRING into Your Home

18. February 25, 2013  1:06 pm by Christine Reply

Both your wreaths are amazing!!!

Thanks for linking up at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! See you tomorrow evening! :)

19. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Getting Ready for Spring

20. February 28, 2013  10:46 pm by Paula-Riverton Housewives Reply

This is just beautiful! We'd love for you to link up your wreath at our party! http://www.housewivesofriverton.com/2013/02/riverton-housewives-round-up-54.html

21. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Spring Mantel

22. Pingback : Sundae Scoop Top 20 | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker

23. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Cupcake Liner Carrots

24. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Old Turned New {Fall Wreath}

25. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Old Turned New {Fall Wreath}

26. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Teal & Gold Berry Baskets {Eid Gift}