Spring Flower Pot Cakes

I had come across this pin on Pinterest, and it has inspired me to get my flower pots out… baking pots that is.

King Arthur Baking Flower Pots

I had purchased them about four years ago from King Arthur Flour. They came as a pack of six. I don’t believe KAF sells them anymore, but no worries because cupcake flower pots are easily found online. Also, you can simply use actual terra-cotta pots like Martha did HERE.

I’ve only used my pots once, and they have been in storage since. I thought it was time to take them out and bring them back to life… with some greenery and flower blooms. Just in time for spring… being it’s officially next week and all!

Wilton Decorating Star tips

I decided to go all buttercream including the flowers for the decorations. I used a crusted buttercream but a swiss meringue buttercream would be great for these too. Star tips 1M, 21, and 18 were used for piping. Oh… and I went with chocolate cake… ya know, since soil is brown after all. Hehe.

Spring Cupcakes in Flower Pots

Using star tip 1M I piped on my greenery. You can technically use any color here and make this the flower…. I think it looks pretty just like this! But I decided to make it my greenery and pipe on some rosettes.

Spring Cake Pots with Rosettes

I used star tip 21 for the yellow rosettes and star tip 18 for the pink rosettes.

To make the rosettes you are just piping in a circular motion starting in the center working outwards. Same with the greenery. Quick and simple… next to no piping experience needed to make them!

Buttercream Rosettes Spring Cake in a Flower Pot

These cakes would be cute to serve at a tea party… garden party… or for Mother’s Day.

You know what else is great about these pots. If you don’t have time to bake (or don’t like to bake), you can get unfrosted cupcakes from your local bakery or grocery store bakery and simply place them in the pots. You can also use an unfrosted cake (such as pound cake); break it into chunks and place in the pots. Hey, I won’t tell if you won’t. I don’t have a problem with cheating. Sshh, you didn’t hear that from me. ;) You can call it semi-homemade… you did do the decorating after all!

Spring Flower Pot CakeYou are not limited to cake with these pots… or even baked goods. Use them for any type of food presentation… savory or sweet! I don’t know why I’ve had these pots in hiding this whole time. Sometimes you just need that reminder… or that inspiration! I hope you found some here today. :)

1. March 15, 2013  8:17 am by Cheryl@ Sew Can Do Reply

So cute & springy!! And yours are definitely food safe which is great - not so sure with Martha's garden variety pots since those are unsealed (and probably a lot messier to clean up!).

2. March 15, 2013  8:29 am by ColleenB. Reply

your creations are so pretty
    I have seasoned and made bread in clay pots before. Also, around Christmas I would put different candies into clay pots and set them through out the house or down the center of the dining room table along with greenery, etc just to make the table festive for the holidays. Also would be cute for Easter or any special holiday.
    I also gotta admit that I have made cupcakes and just sat them inside the pots,covered with chocolate frosting and covered with chocolate sprinkles so that it looked like 'dirt' and using a clean, clear plastic straw,cut to size, stuck it in the center of the cupcake and put an artifical or could add a real flower inside the straw. You now have a flower growing out of your cupcake. :}

3. March 15, 2013  9:03 am by Maha Reply

Maysem what cute cup cakes! Perfect for spring! I am sure they are super tasty too!

4. March 15, 2013  9:44 am by cathy c Reply

These are just too pretty to eat!

5. March 15, 2013  10:29 am by Aziza Reply

I love it! The fact that you don't need piping experience to make such a pretty presentation makes it a winner for me! Thank you for this :)

6. March 15, 2013  12:10 pm by Simplee Sue Reply

So, so bright and springy looking. They would be nice at a tea, also. Thank you for the beautiful cakes tutoral.

We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.

7. March 15, 2013  2:40 pm by Amy of While Wearing Heels Reply

Maysem, you are talented. You make it seem so easy, even giving us approval to cheat and do semi homemade BUT there is NO way my cupcakes would turn out like yours. I would be forced to do one of those pinterest 'nailed it' photos, where I clearly did NOT nail it :)

8. March 15, 2013  4:01 pm by Stephanie Reply

These are awesome! I think they would be great for an Easter brunch {as dessert of course}! I'm having a link party on my blog and I'd love for you to join!

9. March 15, 2013  8:20 pm by Leila Reply

yum!! they look so good! love that the pots are so versatile. I've seen the terracotta pots used like this (like that martha stewart link) but i don't think it's safe because of possible metal content in the clay? love this alternative!

10. March 15, 2013  8:44 pm by Lisa Reply

Super cute idea!!

11. Pingback : Great Ideas -- 21 Wonderful Easter Ideas!! -- Tatertots and Jello

12. March 16, 2013  11:44 am by Mandy |Small Fine Print| Reply

These are adorable! I love it! I'd like to invite you to my weekly linky party going on right now at smallfineprint.com

13. March 17, 2013  8:34 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

You create the most creative cakes...one day I will hear that you opened your own "sweet shop"....!!...Love these flower pot cakes!!

14. March 18, 2013  7:41 am by Sarah Reply

These are so beautiful! I've just started baking cupcakes with my daughter (she's 3!), so we'll definitely have to add these to the list of ones to make! Thanks for the inspiration!

15. March 19, 2013  7:36 am by Shannon {Cozy Country Living} Reply

These are so pretty! What a great idea:) My children would love these! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

16. March 19, 2013  10:21 am by Andrea Reply

Very cute and what a great idea! Stopping by from Skip to My Lou :)

RamblingReed.blogspot.com

17. March 19, 2013  3:29 pm by Jamie Reply

These are so cute! Would be great for a spring party. Here stopping by from Home Stories A to Z. I would love if you would come and link up to our first ever linky party.

Hugs & Smiles,
    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

18. March 20, 2013  10:06 pm by Rita Reply

What a fun idea! I love these!

19. March 21, 2013  12:08 pm by KC @ Real Coake Reply

What adorable cakes! I love the bright green and the flowers. So cute!
    I would love if you would share this at my link party. http://www.realcoake.com/2013/03/real-family-fun-6.html
    Take care,
    KC

20. Pingback : Easter Desserts

21. Pingback : Sundae Scoop Top 23 Spring Recipe Ideas I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker

22. Pingback : Spring Flower Pot Cakes Recipe

23. Pingback : It’s A Spring Thing Party Features!

24. Pingback : It's a Spring Thing Sweet Tooth Round Up - Cupcakes & Crinoline | Cupcakes & Crinoline

25. March 27, 2013  8:59 am by lovelymrsp Reply

Wow I love those pots..super cute Maysem! Thanks for linking up on Made in a Day!
    Kim