Old Turned New {Fall Wreath}

Do you follow me on Instagram or Facebook? If you don’t, what are you waiting for?! Those of you that do may have seen some sneak peaks of my latest project… my old turned new fall wreath! What does that mean exactly? It just means I took the wreath I made last fall and gave it a makeover. Yup, a makeover! It asked for one, so it got one Yes, my wreaths talk to me… don’t yours! ;)

Jute, Lace, Turquoise, Orange Fall Wreath

This is the wreath I made last fall. A wreath made of cute little turquoise pumpkins with lace accents and the word fall spelled out at the bottom. I loved the simple look of this wreath, but this fall, my wreath called for a new look. A new look that consisted of flowers, leaves and acorns. But fear not, those cute little turquoise pumpkins still remained as an essential element along with the other original elements. Wanna see the update? Good! Just follow along as I share the steps to the makeover.

Cupcake Liners Fall Leaves

First up were the leaves… cupcake liner leaves! I had used cupcake liner leaves in my spring wreath where I shared a how to for the leaves {as well as a how to for cupcake liner flowers}. The only difference I did this time was turn them into fall leaves. To do so, I sponge painted them with specks of orange, golden yellow and gold. I set them to the side to dry and went on to make the flowers…

Petaled Fabric Flowers

For the flowers, I used a similar method as the one I used for the petaled flower hair clips I had made here and here. However, instead of two layers of fabric I used one layer… and since I used cotton fabric and burlap, the burning the ends step was not needed.

Petaled Fabric Flower Tutorial

I used whatever scraps of fall colored fabrics I had on hand. To gather, I sewed a long stitch along one side a 1/4″ inch from the end {no backstitching for gathering}. Next I cut along the top end to create a row of petals and then gathered the fabric. Lastly, I rolled up the fabric to create my flower and with a hot glue gun placed dots of glue as I went along. For each flower, I used a mini pine cones as the center and painted the top of the pine cone gold.

Gathered Lace

I did remove the lace from the wreath, but I recycled four of the pieces: two of the ivory and two of the orange. I layed one color on top of the other, and with the hot glue gun I gathered the bottom end to create a “fan”. One of the “fans” I glued on the back of one of the flowers.

Fabric Flower & Turquoise Pumpkins Fall Wreath

Now it’s time to put the wreath together. I created my layout first, and then with a hot glue gun glued everything on. I omitted two of the pumpkins, and shifted two other.

Turquoise Pumpkins & Acorns Fall Wreath

As a finishing touch, I added moss half way around the bottom of two pumpkins along with pine cones. Tips of these pine cones were also painted gold.

Fabric Flowers & Cupcake Liners Fall Leaves Wreath

Fabric Flowers Cupcake Liner Leaves Pumpkins Fall Wreath

Wreath is all dressed up and ready to be hung up to welcome in the fall! What do you think of the new look?

I will be sharing sneak peaks of my projects on Instagram. So I would love for you to follow along!

1. September 13, 2013  9:07 am by Maha Reply

Very cute! It totally portrays a fall aura! Love it!

2. September 13, 2013  1:00 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

There you go again being the most creative one!!...Just love the wreath and all of your wonderful handiwork!!!! Have a great weekend!

3. September 13, 2013  7:26 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

I love it when you start decorating for Fall! Will you be doing any Anthropologie workshops in the near future?

4. September 17, 2013  10:45 am by Marti Cooper Reply

Oh, how cute!! I never thought of putting little pumpkins like that on a wreath. I'm going to have to make one! I'd love for you to link up at my craft party, it's starts on Saturdays and runs all week! :)

Marti

5. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Fall Treat Packaging {Welcome Neighbor Gift}

6. September 19, 2013  1:45 pm by Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) Reply

This looks amazing!! I love it!!
    I would love to invite you to link it up at our new party Lovely Ladies Linky where you link up once and get seen on 6 blogs!!
    Link up starts Wednesdays!
    Hope to see you there :)
    Parrish @ Life With The Crust Cut Off

7. September 19, 2013  4:41 pm by Miranda Reply

This is too cute! I'd love it if you'd link this up to my blog hop party, DIY Weekend:

Thank you!
    Miranda @ Mr. and Mrs. Winslett

8. Pingback : Do It Yourself Fall Wreaths - Oh My Creative

9. September 23, 2013  1:26 pm by Susan @ Oh My! Creative Reply

I wanted to let you know I featured your wreath in my Whimsy Wednesday Roundup this week! You can see it in this post - http://bit.ly/1bzp5cB

Thanks for linking!
    Susan

10. September 25, 2013  6:04 pm by Molly Reply

I absolutely loved this wreath when you linked it up to the Lovely Ladies linky party last week! So much in fact, that I featured you at this weeks party :) You can check it out here- http://bit.ly/15t2Nra
    I love love love the blue pumpkins, what a great color!
    Have a great week!
    -Molly at Just a Little Creativity

11. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Wreath {Makeover}