Pumpkin Bar & Cream Cheese Frosting

I have a must share recipe for you today. Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. I make them every year during the fall season. I don’t know why I haven’t shared this recipe with you yet. I wasn’t trying to keep it from you… I promise! Maybe it just didn’t occur to me to share the recipe. Maybe it was because they never lasted long enough for pictures. Whatever the case may be, I’m sharing them now. Better late than never, right?

Paula Deen Pumpkin Bar Recipe

A close friend of mine introduced it to me a few years ago. For the pumpkin lovers, you are going to LOVE these! For the not so loving pumpkin people, get ready to be converted! I had a not so loving pumpkin friend tell me that I just may have converted her because of this recipe! And she’s not the only one. Seriously, they are amazing!!

Paula Deen Cream Cheese Frosting

Oh and that cream cheese frosting! As a not so loving cream cheese frosting person, I tell you I could eat this frosting with a spoon! It’s that good!

Mini Pumpkin Loaf and Cream Cheese Frosting

Both the bars and frosting are so simple to make. Really.

I made this particular batch for a lunch gathering a friend of mine held so these babies traveled in cute individual packaging. I promise I’ll show you how I packaged them in the next post. But for now, enough of my yapping and on to the recipe…  Go bake!

Ingredients

(Recipe adapted from Food Network)

Bars:

Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin. {Start at low speed and pick up to medium speed to avoid splashing of the mixture.} In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Cut into bars.

To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.

My note: If you plan on using a baking pan other than a 13×10, baking time will vary. For example, my mini loaf pan consisted of nine cavities. For each batch baking time was 18 minutes. Always do a toothpick check to make sure your cake baked completely.

1. September 20, 2013  9:16 am by Dina Reply

Mmmmm! That looks so yummy!

2. September 20, 2013  10:19 am by ColleenB. Reply

I totally love pumpkin bars. Your little bars are so cute
    Same recipe that I use which I received from a neighbor :} I do bake mine in a 10x15 pan
    When I make my icing, I do add 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice as well as 1/2 t. cinnamon

3. September 21, 2013  11:41 pm by JaneEllen Reply

Hi Maysem This is JaneEllen. Been such a long time since I could get your posts, maybe about a year? I changed over to Hughes Net and wasn't able to get any of old email posts, couldn't remember name of your blog. Hope you and family are very well.
    This recipe looks/sounds so good. Need something we can make easily enuf and not have to have unusual ingredients. They sure look good in the picture. I saw your post on Get Schooled Saturday #94 sure glad I did.
    Have you been busy making Fall decorations? Would love to see them.
    Can't get to my Fall decos box in shed so making do with what I've been making. Much easier. I've been making about 4 different shaped fabric pumpkins using fall fabric, some burlap and canvas, all fabric I had in my stash. As usual I'm having a great time making things even if I didn't need them for myself. Really glad to have found you again.
    Happy weekend

4. September 22, 2013  9:21 pm by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious. I love the cream cheese dip. Now I want to make some of my own...could I make them as muffins? I don't have many cute pan options. Remember, I am not much of a baker.

5. September 23, 2013  12:03 pm by Manal Reply

I love how you left the frosting as an 'option' for those who like their cakes plain... Love this recipe!

6. September 23, 2013  6:37 pm by Kayla @ Home Coming blog Reply

Sounds delish! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-30.html

7. September 25, 2013  3:04 pm by Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) Reply

This looks amazing!! I love it!!
    I would love to invite you to link it up at our new party Lovely Ladies Linky where you link up once and get seen on 6 blogs!!
    Link up starts Wednesdays!
    Hope to see you there :)
    Parrish @ Life With The Crust Cut Off

8. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Fall Leaf Doily Packaging

9. Pingback : 21 Great Pumpkin Desserts - Oh My Creative

10. October 5, 2013  9:04 pm by Monique H. Winters Reply

Wonderful idea! The pumpkin cream cheese frosting is just so pretty;-) I’ve never seen the Hershey’s pumpkin spice kisses, oh well, maybe next year!