Salt Dough Ornaments

In the previous post I shared the glitter painted candle holders I had made.

Glitter Painted Glass Candle Holders

These candle holders are going to be a part of the Eid gift baskets that I am putting together for my family.

This project was inspired by This Little Life of Mine‘s salt dough ornaments embellished candle holders, which I had come across during this past Ramadan. I loved the way her’s turned out and knew I just had to make them for Eid al-Adha. However instead of star and moon, I made little Kabah ornaments. The Kabah is the most sacred site in Islam located in Mecca where Muslims perform their pilgrimage, and Eid al-Adha is the celebration that takes place after the pilgrimage.

I’ve never worked with salt dough, but it’s always been on my list of things to make…  you know, that long list of To Do’s we all have! If you don’t already know, this is a great project to do with the kiddies… from making the dough to painting.

I’m no salt dough expert, but I’ll share my how to with you anyway. This is what you’ll need:

Ingredients:

1 Cup Flour

1/2 Cup Salt

1/2 Cup Water

Supplies:

Rolling pin

Icing spatula

Something to create a small hole (Such as icing tip or tooth pick)

Cookie tray

Parchment paper

Paint & paint brushes

Varnish

Twine

Salt Dough Recipe

Preheat your oven to 200 F. Combine all of your ingredients in a bowl, except don’t add all the water at once. You may not need all of the water; I used a scant 1/2 cup. Knead the dough, adding the water slowly to avoid over moistening it. Once it’s smooth, roll it out. By habit of rolling out sugar cookies, I rolled my salt dough between two pieces of parchment paper. No need for flouring the parchment paper.

Salt Dough Kabah Ornaments

Using a square cutter, I cut out my little Kabahs and with an icing spatula I imprinted two parallel lines for the gold band. With an icing tip, I created a hole in the corner. Since the tip is tapered, the front end of the hole was wider than the back, so I evened them out with a toothpick. Place your finished cut outs onto a parchment paper lined cookie tray. Place your tray in the preheated oven.

I dried out the ornaments in the oven for almost four hours, flipping them over half way through. Drying time will vary depending on the thickness and size of the ornaments.

Kabah Salt Dough Ornaments

Once completely cooled, you can paint the ornaments. I first painted on the black, and then the gold band. I also painted the sides in gold. When the paint was dry, I sealed the ornaments with varnish.

Kabah Salt Dough Ornaments

I looped my twine through the hole and tied it off once and wrapped it around the already prepped candle holders. For the candle holders, while the ornaments were drying, I had simply wrapped jute rope around the top and tied it off in the front along with teal lace. I also frayed the ends of the jute to make it look fuller.

Kabah Ornaments and Glittered Candle Holders

Now that the candle holders are done, on to the next project that will be joining them in the gift basket.

Let me know what you think. Also, I would love to know if you’ve worked with salt dough and what you made with it.

1. September 30, 2013  9:14 am by Amnah Ibrahim Reply

I was pleasantly surprised to find that you were inspired by me! I absolutely adore all your projects. MashaAllah everything you make is well made and beautiful. These are no exception! They entire project is just lovely!

2. September 30, 2013  9:41 am by Jeni Reply

Very cute idea!

3. September 30, 2013  9:45 am by Sandra Reply

Wow, great job! They look awesome. This is definitely going to be added on to my list of To do's, which I will probably get to in a few years when these kiddos are a little more independent or maybe old enough to partake in. Love the post.

4. September 30, 2013  10:13 am by Sophie Reply

Brillant idea! Thanks for sharing, Maysem!

5. September 30, 2013  12:53 pm by Rana Reply

I love the way the candles came out and your salt dough ornaments looks so nice. I tried to doing the salt dough with my kids but it didn't come out as nice. The dough bubbled up in some places as we were baking it. Will definitely have to give this a try again though. :)

6. September 30, 2013  2:28 pm by sahara Reply

This looks AWESOME! I think i'm going to try this myself, i already have these ingredients on hand :)

7. September 30, 2013  4:13 pm by ColleenB. Reply

Terrific job. Great looking ornaments.
    Sure does bring back memories. I remember making salt dough as well as cinnamon ornaments when my daughters where young.
    Have a wonderful evening

8. October 2, 2013  10:39 am by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Hmm...you make it look so easy. I've worked with salt dough before and they ALWAYS crack. Your's look perfect. I might have to try again.

9. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » To Gift or Not To Gift {Sugar Cookie Decorating}

10. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Teal & Gold Berry Baskets {Eid Gift}

11. October 14, 2013  3:25 am by Sophie Reply

Thank you once again Maysem! Your lovely salt dough ornaments were a great inspiration for the cookies we made with the kids this week end. They're far from perfection, but the children were very pleased to be involved in the preparations for Eid. You can see them here:
    Greetings from France & Happy Eid to you and loved ones!