DIY Galvanized Cake Stand

I’m usually done putting up all my fall decor in September. This year, I admit I’ve been procrastinating. I have officially finished decorating as of last week… but there was one little detail that I worked on this past weekend. A detail I convinced myself that my fall slash Thanksgiving vignette could not go without!

As I was putting together my vignette, I noticed that I had an unintentional metal theme going on: galvanized tin. One of the items I had used in my vignette was a gold glass cake stand. I thought it would have been nice if I had a galvanized stand instead. I knew I was not going to easily find one, so I decided that I would just make it myself! I figured it would be quicker and cheaper to do so. And it was!

I already knew what I wanted to use to make the actual cake stand, but not quite certain about how to create the galvanized effect. Without doing any research, I hastily made a trip to Michaels thinking there was spray paint or some paint that would create that effect. And maybe there is such a thing, but not at Michaels. The Michaels employees couldn’t help me with my question, so I pulled out my phone and turned to good old google {what I should have done in the first place!}. In a matter of a minute, I found exactly what I needed… a tutorial on how to create a galvanized effect over at Blissfully Ever After. Woohoo!! I grabbed what I needed from Michaels and headed straight home to start on my project.

DIY Galvanized Cake Stand

Thanks to Jennifer from Blissfully Ever After, I was able to make my very own galvanized cake stand… and I LOVE it!!

I’m so excited about my new cake stand that I just had to share it with you all… and to share the how to that I learned.

How to create a galvanized effect

First, let’s gather the supplies.

For the cake stand:

Tin pail ($1 Target bargain section)

Tin platter (Dollar Tree)

E6000 Gue

Jute and Hot Glue gun (just to glue jute on)

To create galvanized effect:

black acrylic paint

metallic acrylic paint (I used gun metal grey)

burnt umber acrylic paint

paint brushes and foam brushes

First we begin with creating the galvanized effect.

Galvanized Effect Tutorial

Step 1. With a regular paint brush, paint the pail and platter two coats of black. Allow to dry completely in between coats.

Step 2. With a foam brush using the dry brush technique, dab the metallic paint over the black. Apply the paint until it starts to look “galvanized”. Allow the paint to dry.

Step 3. Do the same technique with the burnt umber paint as you did with the metallic paint. The burnt umber is for creating a rust effect, so apply it in areas where rust would naturally appear.

Jennifer does have a step 4 which I didn’t think was necessary for my project. The additional step is to dry brush the black paint on the edges to create depth. Since the platter border was rigid, black paint went untouched by the metallic paint which created the depth I would want. To see step 4, you can visit her post here.

DIY Galvanized Cake Stand Tutorial

Once the paint is dry, with the bottom of the pail centered to the bottom of the platter, glue the two pieces together. I love E6000, so that’s my go to glue. If you have your own favorite strong permanent glue, go for it! Allow the glue to dry completely.

The last thing I did, which is optional, was wrap jute around the bottom of my stand to hide the holes from the original ribbon handle.

DIY Galvanized Effect

Cake stand is all done and ready to join my vignette! Here it is next to two galvanized objects. The cake stand looks pretty good next to them, don’t you think?

I really am excited about this piece! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial.

Let me know what you think of my new galvanized cake stand. Type away!

1. October 30, 2013  9:04 am by Dina Reply

So creative! Absolutely beautiful.

2. October 30, 2013  9:20 am by ColleenB. Reply

That is Outstanding! I even like your other little stand that is next to your cake stand.
    Cake stands are my weakness. I luv em but running out of room storing them.
    Great job in your creation

3. October 30, 2013  9:32 am by leila Reply

very nice! I've bee procrastinating with my fall mantel too lol. I'll probably have it finished next month.

4. October 30, 2013  9:43 am by Rana Reply

The cake stand turned out great. I need to try this technique :)

5. October 30, 2013  10:33 am by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Oh wow. That turned out beautiful. It looks like it could have been store bought as is. I can't believe that you used a $1 bucket from Target. I never would have believed it, if you didn't show the pictures. Great job!

6. October 30, 2013  12:39 pm by Maha Reply

Omg I love it Maysem!

7. October 31, 2013  12:20 am by JaneEllen Reply

Maysem How I've missed you. Love your cake stand. I'm too lazy or I'd make one that looks galvanized also. You're much more patient and better at that kind of thing than I'll ever be. What's that cute little funnel looking thing with handle & candle holder on top next to it? Did you make that too? So cute.Great idea putting jute around top of bucket, gives it even better look.
    I swear at night when I'm tired my hands do not want to type right. My fingers are twisting from arthritis so it makes it difficult to find the right keys.
    I miss seeing your posts and projects. Email me if you want to. Take care ok.

8. October 31, 2013  6:41 am by Bonnie Reply

Wow! That is a beautiful cake stand. Very creative. Love it.

9. November 2, 2013  10:14 am by Marty@A Stroll Thru Life Reply

I love this idea, it looks fabulous and super tutorial. I would love to have you link up to my Inspire Me party that goes live on Monday at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

10. Pingback : Galvanized Cake Stand – Ode to Inspiration | Indie Crafts | CraftGossip.com

11. Pingback : Galvanized Cake Stand – Ode to Inspiration | Crafty Central

12. Pingback : Galvanized Cake Stand – Ode to Inspiration | DIY Craft Projects

13. Pingback : Great Ideas -- 22 Fall DIY Decorating Ideas!

14. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Fall Decorating {Rustic & Natural Elements}

15. November 6, 2013  9:26 pm by Desiree @ The36thAvenue Reply

This is simply awesome!
    Thank you so much for linking up with us... Pinning to "The Party Bunch Favorites" board!

16. November 7, 2013  8:46 am by Kim Reply

Thanks so much for linking up! Stopping by to let you know I featured you today! Love that paint job!
    Kim

17. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Decorating

18. Pingback : Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Make a Faux Galvanized Cake Stand

19. Pingback : Make a Faux Galvanized Cake Stand | KM Crafts

20. March 9, 2014  3:03 pm by Genevieve Reply

What a great idea! I'm gonna so try this.