Candy Cane Cookies & Cream Muddy Buddies

To some, they’re Muddy Buddies. To others, they’re Puppy Chow. While to a few others, it’s neither. We may not agree on the name but we certainly can agree that they are so good! And quite addicting. Once you start munching on them, you will not stop… and you won’t realize what you are doing until they are gone!

Candy Cane Cookies & Cream Puppy ChowThey are definitely an easy treat to whip up… and lately I’ve been all about simple! There are all sorts of varieties out there, so I decided to make my own with a play off of the cookies and cream version using no other than those deliciously irresistible Candy Cane Joe Joe’s found at Trader Joe’s. But of course! ;)

Candy Cane Joe Joe's Puppy Chow Ingredients

Here are the ingredients you will need:

“Cookies” Muddy Buddies

3 cups Rice Chex Cereal

6 oz Semi-sweet Chocolate

1/2 cup finely crushed Candy Cane Joe Joe’s (about 4 cookies)

1/2 cup Powdered Sugar

“Cream” Muddy Buddies

3 cups Rice Chex Cereal

6 oz White Chocolate

1/2 cup finely crushed Candy Cane Joe Joe’s (about 4 cookies)

1/3 cup finely crushed Candy Cane (about 4 standard size candy canes)

1/2 cup Powdered Sugar

Optional: Larger pieces of crushed candy canes.

You will also need two microwavable safe bowls and two large zip lock bags.

In one bag, pour in a 1/2 cup of the crushed cookies and the 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Repeat with the second bag plus the finely crushed candy canes. Set both bags to the side.

In one of the bowls, melt the semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted; stir the chocolate after each interval. Once melted, add 3 cups of the Chex cereal to the bowl and stir until the cereal is well coated with the chocolate. Once well coated, pour the chocolate covered cereal into the bag that has only the crushed cookies and powdered sugar. Seal and shake the bag until the cereal is well coated. Set aside.

Repeat with the white chocolate and add the white chocolate coated cereal into the bag that has the crushed peppermint. Seal and shake the bag until the cereal is well coated.

Just a small note to add: I tend to find that the white chocolate morsels don’t melt as smoothly as white chocolate almond bark. If you do use the morsels like I did, once you melt your chocolate you may want to add a tiny amount of vegetable oil to help thin it. It’s not necessary but can be a bit helpful to have a thinner chocolate consistency when mixing in the cereal.

Combine the cereal in the two bags together in a large bowl and mix. As an optional step, toss in bigger chunks of crushed candy canes.

Candy Cane Cookies & Cream Muddy Buddies using Joe Joe'sNow go enjoy the addictive treat you just made!

What’s your favorite version of Muddy Buddies… er um Puppy Chow? ;)

For more recipes using Candy Cane Joe Joe’s, stop by HERE and HERE.

1. November 25, 2013  9:14 am by Dina Reply

Wow that looks really good!

• November 26, 2013  10:09 am by Maysem Reply

Thank you Dina!

2. November 25, 2013  1:51 pm by ColleenB. Reply

Looking Good!.
    I like mine using Bugles, M&M's, pretzel sticks, variety of Chex cereal and what ever else I may have handy. I do use the chocolate candy melts by Wilton only because they melt better than the chips do but then by adding some peanut butter while melting the chocolate chips also makes it melt butter and taste so good as well.

• November 26, 2013  10:01 am by Maysem Reply

Colleen, I love that you just thrown a bunch of tasty snacks in the mix!! When I make the classic version, I too do use peanut butter. And oh do I love it!!

Have a wonderful week and Happy Thanksgiving!!

3. November 25, 2013  4:53 pm by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

So I've never tried this by any name. I love how you incorporated peppermint into them though. Looks delicious.

• November 26, 2013  9:47 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Amy! You must make them!! This is a treat that Grace can help you with and she'd probably have fun making as well. :)

• November 26, 2013  9:23 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Shirley! I definitely agree!!

4. November 25, 2013  10:27 pm by Rana Reply

That looks delicious! I haven't had this in so long. I need to whip up a batch.

• November 26, 2013  9:19 am by Maysem Reply

Than you Rana! Muddy Buddies are great. Before this batch, it's been a while since I last made them as well... and it's usually the classic recipe with the peanut butter. What version do you like to make?

5. December 2, 2013  12:13 pm by BruCrew Life Reply

Chocolate and peppermint is a timeless combo! Such a fun muddy buddy treat!!!

• December 5, 2013  12:06 am by Maysem Reply

I definitely agree!! Thanks for stopping by!!

6. December 2, 2013  1:08 pm by Deonna Wade Reply

Hey Maysem! It's Deonna from the Child at Heart blog! Thank you so much for linking up at the Merriest Blog Hop! I can't wait to see all of your holiday ideas this month! This sounds so good! I could eat the regular muddy buddies until I was sick and I'm sure these will be the same :)

• December 5, 2013  12:10 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Deonna!! And thanks for inviting me to the party! I'm the same way with the regular muddy buddies... they certainly are addictive!

7. Pingback : Time to Sparkle #38 - Inside BruCrew Life

8. Pingback : Time to Sparkle Link Party #38 | The Recipe Critic

9. Pingback : Time To Sparkle Link Party #38 | The Gunny Sack

10. December 3, 2013  7:10 pm by The B Sandra Lee Reply

This looks super yummy! I'm looking for a good Christmas recipe and this looks like a crowd please. Stopping by from DIY Dreamer!

• December 5, 2013  12:12 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Sandra! I really appreciate you stopping by and I hope you enjoy this recipe!

11. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Coffee Filters & Old Book Pages

12. December 4, 2013  5:24 pm by Nancy Pfeifer Reply

I love candy canes! I must try this :) new visitor from- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/12/tuesday-link-party-12313.html#more-8273

• December 5, 2013  12:29 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks for stopping by Nancy!! Always a pleasure to have new visitors and hopefully will see you around again. If you do make the recipe, I hope you enjoy it!

13. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Chalkboard Craft Party