Paper Straw Snowflake

Today I have for you  an easy peasy winter craft. A craft that can be put together in a matter of minutes!

Paper Straw Snowflakes

A paper straw snowflake!

Paper Straw Snowflake Tutorial

All you need is two straws and fuzzy yarn to make these cuties. For the tools, you will need scissors and a hot glue gun.

Start out by cutting two straws in half. I wasn’t anal about the halves being evenly cut. I guesstimated the center by using the stripes on the straw.

Easy Paper Straw Snowflake Tutorial

Dab a dot of glue in the center of one half and place a second half directly on top, criss-crossed. Press the two centers together. Do the same with the next two straws, pressing all the centers down together.

Next take the fuzzy yarn, leaving the beginning end extended longer, and wrap the snowflake taking the yarn down and around each inner V corner. So you start from one inner corner, take the yarn directly to the opposite corner and then bring it up through to the corner next to the previous corner; and repeat. Does that make sense? You keep going around until all corners are wrapped and end up on the opposite corner of the beginning yarn end. Tie the two ends together and trim off access.

If you want a thicker top, you can go around as many times you want. I sometimes did one round and sometimes two.

That’s all there is to making a paper straw snowflake!

Make them in any color. One color. Multicolor. Use them anyway you want.

Paper Straw Snowflake Garland

Create a garland…

Paper Straw Snowflake Gift Tag

Embellish a gift…

Paper Straw Snowflake Ornament

Or turn it into an ornament.

To make the ornament, I slowly placed glue into one of the straw holes, and with a toothpick pushed the two ends of the twine down to grab onto the glue. I did use a hot glue gun since it dries quickly, but you will have to be very careful when placing it into the hole of the straw. Otherwise, any glue should work but will need more drying time.

I do have another plan for some of these snowflakes. Come back for the next post to find out what!

1. November 18, 2013  9:40 am by ColleenB. Reply

OMG does these ever bring back memories. I think I still have a couple that have been packed away that I made years ago.
    Yours are adorable.
    When it comes to holding and wrapping, I'm all thumbs.
    Thinking;.......... A person probably could punch out circle and glue straws on it and then another circle out of glitter paper or using buttons and glue in center of snowflake on front. Could even glue on a small store bought snowflake for center

Or make into straw trees or even make a Star of David star. Possibilities are endless
    You got my mind spinning with all sorts of ideas. Wouldn't these be cute on gift packages or several of different sizes hung in front of a window.
    Thanks for the fond memories.

2. November 18, 2013  12:28 pm by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

Of course you have a created a beautiful craft as an tribute and plea for snow. These turned out beautiful. Grace would have so much fun making these.

3. November 18, 2013  3:35 pm by GurvyGreen Reply

Ahh these add so much color and I love how simple they are! Thanks for sharing.

4. November 19, 2013  8:57 am by Krystal Reply

These are so cute. I’d love it if you linked up with our weekly party and shared! http://www.mylifeoftravelsandadventures.com/2013/11/awesome-things-tuesday-week-2.html

5. November 20, 2013  8:12 am by Andrea Reply

Cute cute cute. My daughter will love doing these.

6. November 20, 2013  9:50 pm by B.Brittain-Marshall (@ritewhileucan) Reply

I have a crush on all things paper and these straw ornaments are awesome! I love the coloured twine as an option too. Very clever. thanks for sharing. Visiting via Lovely Ladies Linkup (I'm number 233)

7. November 22, 2013  6:50 pm by Michelle Paige Reply

Cute and clever! Love the colored paper straws!

8. November 23, 2013  9:07 am by Virginia Reply

Adorable! I'm definitely putting this on my to do list. I'm going to add some tags & put them on presents. Thanks! Pinning.

9. Pingback : 21 Handmade Holiday Crafts - Oh My Creative

10. November 24, 2013  8:35 am by Susan @ Oh My! Creative Reply

Simple and wonderful! Thanks for linking to Whimsy Wednesday! I featured you in this weeks roundup! You can see the post here http://www.ohmy-creative.com/holiday-crafts/christmas/21-handmade-holiday-crafts/

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Susan

11. Pingback : Christmas Gifts that Kids Can Help Make - Making the World Cuter

12. November 25, 2013  2:03 pm by Deonna Wade Reply

Hey Maysem! It's Deonna from the Child at Heart blog! I love this post and would love for you to link up to the Merriest Blog Hop each Friday until Christmas and share your creations! These are so fun and would love super cute as a garland in the tree. I love those straws and already have the stuff to make this. Thanks for the great idea!

13. November 27, 2013  3:02 am by Alicia Reply

Just stopping by to say thanks for linking up at The Merriest Blog Hop! Also, I wanted to let you know that I'll be featuring this post at the next party. This is a much better/easier alternative to cutting out a bunch of snowflakes...and it still looks cute! I hope we'll see you again for the next party!

14. December 11, 2013  8:58 am by Karen Reply

I especially love these as a gift embellishment! Such a happy touch... but then again you are the queen of the happy touch!

15. December 14, 2013  9:21 pm by Kelley Reply

These are too cool Maysem! And I have all the supplies to make them on hand! Woohoo! Maybe Ill make the hot chocolate sticks then these! :)

Thanks for linking up to the Life of the Party. Im going to feature this tomorrow in a Christmas craft roundup :)

16. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Old Window Winter Decor

17. Pingback : "11 Lovely Christmas Ideas!"