Spiced Cardamom Cookies

I have another cookie recipe for you today. Spiced Cardamom Cookies. It’s a Martha Stewart recipe. I don’t always have success with the recipes I come across on her website, but this one was quite impressive. After making and loving the orange zest and cardamom spiced sugar cookies I made for Eid, I wanted to experiment with more cardamom recipes. Today’s cookies though are not sugar cookies. They are more along the lines of a gingerbread cookie or even a tea cookie, so they are not as sweet. Also, the cardamom in this recipe is the dominant flavor which I LOVED!

Thanksgiving Cardamom Spiced Cookies

Other than flavor, the scent of these cookies is ah-mazing…. result of the allspice and cloves!

Cardamom Spiced Cookie Recipe

Then there’s the dough! This has got to be the best dough I’ve ever worked with. It had a workable texture that allowed it to be easily shaped and imprinted. The recipe does ask for the dough to be rolled out in between parchment paper, but that’s something I tend to do with most of my cookie doughs anyway. I prefer parchment paper because it eliminates the need for that messy floured work surface. The recipe does also ask that you lightly flour the parchment paper which I did do at first. However as I was working I found there was no need for that. This dough is so great that it did not stick to the parchment paper at all. So feel free to go flour-less with the parchment paper all the way through!

Using Impression Mat on Cookie Dough

The same goes with the impression mat. I had no need to flour that either. A cookie like this has a rustic appeal even without impressions. Though I do love that the impressions give it a little something more. The simple yet fanciful touch to impress [no pun intended]!

The recipe does say to roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick or 1/16 inch thick for a crispier cookie. I did do both, and I must say I did prefer the crispier cookie. It’s a cookie you want to get a crunch out of… well at least I did! Mr. OTI preferred it thicker. There is still a crunch with the 1/8″, just not as crispy.

Cardamom, Allspice, Clove Cookies

Because of the one egg that the recipe calls for, it’s not exactly an easy recipe to half. However, what is great about this recipe is that you can freeze the dough for up to a month, so you really don’t need to bake the whole batch if you didn’t need to. That’s what I did. I baked 1/3 of the batch and froze the remaining 2/3 divided. Another thing I love about these cookies is that they can be stored at room temperature for two weeks… not that they lasted that long around here! I warn you, they are addictive!

Cardamom Spiced Cookie Recipe

If you are looking for something different and enjoy spiced cookies like I do, then I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. Don’t let the untypical ingredients intimidate you. It was an easy recipe to make and work with from beginning to end. The dough does have to be refrigerated overnight, so be sure to plan for that.

You know me and my love for cute packaging, so you better believe I do have one for these cookies. In the next post, I’ll show you how I packaged them up for Thanksgiving. Be sure to come back!

Cardamom Spiced Cookies for ThanksgivingNow go get baking! When you are done, grab yourself a cup of tea and ENJOY!

Click HERE for the recipe.

One note pertaining to step 5 in the recipe, within it states to “roll out and cut scraps once.” Not sure what was meant by that, but ignore it. I kept rolling out my scraps until I was completely done. Also, this dough is so great that I didn’t really need to refrigerate each time before cutting, but I did stick the filled trays in the fridge until it was it’s turn to go in the oven.

1. November 8, 2013  9:19 am by Rana Reply

Those cookies look delicious :)

2. November 8, 2013  9:22 am by Cheryl Reply

Your cookies look wonderful (love cardamom), so I'm putting them on my baking list for the holidays. I have never seen an impression mat though. Are these easy to find?

3. November 8, 2013  10:35 am by Maha Reply

Maysem what a wonderful holiday cookie. I really like cookie cutters you used.

4. November 8, 2013  5:00 pm by ColleenB. Reply

they sure do look and sound mighty good. I very seldom use Cardamom so will have to give these a try. Will be putting these on my 'to do' list for me to make.
    Love the impressions on your adorable cookies.

5. November 8, 2013  8:31 pm by thecraftingfoodie Reply

These are such adorable cookies! I love the idea of imprinting your cookie dough before baking. I've never tried it, but I definitely will after seeing how cute your cookies look. What a great idea!

6. November 9, 2013  12:44 pm by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Those are beautiful. You do such an impeccable job decorating and packaging. I this decorating technique you used. I don't even think I have cardamom in my spice rack but these cookies sound lovely.

7. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Thanksgiving Favor & Place Card Setting

8. November 13, 2013  9:21 pm by kneadedcreations Reply

wow, not many people know or enjoy cardamom- my mother, using recipes from her Scandanavian background, usually used it at christmas for pastry and cookies. I can smell it now! wish i could find a mat like yours. Glad you posted at the Sweet Sharing Monday link party. I’ve pinned, liked, twittered and G+-ed your post. I’d love it if you dropped by for a visit at http://www.kneadedcreations.com . I look forward to seeing you over there! Deb @ Kneaded Creations.

9. November 14, 2013  1:18 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

This is a great recipe review. Gorgeous photos of beautiful cookies! I also had never heard of an impression mat, but I think it will be added to my Christmas wish list! The textural designs elevate your cookies to the level of elegance.

10. November 17, 2013  11:57 am by Britni Newton Vigil Reply

I love Thanksgiving cookie cutters, so cute! I'd love to have you come share on the weekend re-Treat link party that ends tonight - http://www.playpartypin.com/2013/11/weekend-re-treat-link-party-43.html.

Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

11. Pingback : Christmas Cookie Exchange Recipes | The NY Melrose Family

12. Pingback : 24 Sweet and Tasty Christmas Cookie Recipes | Style Motivation

13. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Gingerbread Pine Trees