Old Window Winter Decor

I love old windows. I know I have one, but is one really enough? No, said the two old windows calling out to me on one of my many vintiquing trips. I must admit I envy those of you finding old windows being thrown away, waiting for that roadside rescue. Nope, never has that happened to me. Sadly, not with windows. However these two windows I speak of were close enough. They were sitting out in the cold rain, soaking wet in front of a shabby antique shop… one of those shops that call themselves an antique shop but look more like a junkyard. I do love those type of shops because you are sure to find some old beat up treasures… my kind of treasures!

Well, those two old windows calling out to me did indeed come home with me. For $10, I thought why not.

Give Thanks Old Rustic Window

One of those two windows did make a brief appearance in my Thanksgiving vignette where it exhibited a stenciled Give Thanks. It was stenciled on with acrylic paint which washed right off with a damp cloth.

I have different plans for these windows, but for now they’ve been doing little jobs here and there like in the Thanksgiving vignette…

Old Windows Winter Decor

And now in my winter mantel where they are sporting their new but temporary look.

Old Windows & Gift Wrapping PaperHere you see one decked out in one of my new gift wrapping paper. I proudly carried this paper along side another onto the airplane on my way home from my Buffalo trip I took over Thanksgiving break. It’s a thick silver embossed paper that has somewhat of a tin effect. I did get a few stops about my pretty wrapping paper, and all agreed I could not leave Buffalo without them! Unfortunately they were too long to fit in my luggage, which is why I did have to carry the rolls by hand.

This same window is also sporting some vintage snowflakes along with my paper straw snowflakes. A tutorial I shared with you right HERE.

Chalk Marker on Old WindowThe second window is flaunting a simple winter message and some snowflakes in chalk marker. Boy am I loving the fact that chalk marker writes practically on any surface and wipes right off easily with a damp cloth.

Let It Snow Old Window Winter Decor

I think my two old windows are thrilled with their new look… even if it may be temporary.

And it seems like they are enjoying their new location along side my other old window and some of my other winter decor fun… a talk I’ll save for the next post!

Before you go, I would love to hear your story about a special roadside rescue or wannabe roadside rescue. ;) Type away!

1. December 18, 2013  9:15 am by Maha Reply

Maysem u r so creative mA! Love what u did with the wrapping paper. It was worth all the trouble of carrying it on the plane- lol!

• December 18, 2013  5:16 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks! Yes, it was! :D

2. December 18, 2013  10:16 am by pxlchk1 Reply

Maysem, I'm so inspired! We have a bunch of old windows at the shop and I kept looking at them, wondering what I could do with them. Hope to see you soon! Enjoy the festive season. :)

• December 18, 2013  5:18 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Alana!! That really means a lot coming from you! I was in the shop last week with a couple of friends. Too bad we didn't get to see you. Hopefully on the next visit!! Also I would love to see what you do with your windows. :)

Happy Holidays!!

3. December 18, 2013  10:44 am by Cheryl Reply

Love the look of old windows too! This is a great idea.

• December 18, 2013  5:20 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Cheryl! Always happy to have you stop by with your sweet comments. :)

Happy Holidays!!

4. December 18, 2013  12:02 pm by Karen @ Folk Haven Reply

I love just about any roadside rescue story! I just dreamed last night of the house I grew up in that had belonged to my Great-Aunt Jenny... It was stuffed to the gills with old stuff (from ancient butter churns to trunks full of things brought back from India around 1940). I wonder what became of much of that stuff when we moved away. As a child I had no clue how much I would value those treasures as an adult. In my dream I got to go back into the storage rooms upstairs and poke through everything to find stuff to use in projects (I was giddy to start sewing with the sari cloth I found). A very satisfying dream, even if it will never be for real.

• December 18, 2013  5:33 pm by Maysem Reply

That was an awesome dream Karen! Thanks for sharing. :) I know what you mean, I didn't know I would come to value old treasures either... if we could only go back in time. ;) My aunt was telling me that her aunt (my great-aunt) has a lot of old treasures at her home (dating back to my great grandparents and before) and I would have a field day but it's overseas. I would love to go out there just to check out her goodies. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to make a trip. :)

5. December 18, 2013  2:39 pm by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Nearly as good as getting them for free. I love your newest additions to your mantel. The windows, in your creative hands, are such a beautiful compliment to what you already had there. I love the embellishments you added. That paper does have a tin quality. And, I spy some trees! Love them too :)

• December 18, 2013  5:37 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Amy! You are right, they were practically as good as getting them for free.. but too bad I can't claim them to be a roadside rescue. :P Those trees that you spy will be showing up again in the next post. ;)

6. December 18, 2013  11:23 pm by paperworx4seniors2 Reply

Hi Maysem, so good to see a post from you, miss you lots.
    Love your windows, $10 is sure worth two windows. And oh do I love that wrapping paper, it's fantastic. What you did on both is great, so many awesome ways to decorate and use old windows. I bought one window in MT at an antique store, still have it. I sanded it good and dry brushed light green paint on it. Hubs put chicken wire where windows went.
    When I think of all the old windows I had to leave in KY it kills me. There was an old window place across from clinic I went to in Bowling Green. Where I had to park I'd see them and started wondering what they did with old windows. So one day I went over to ask somebody and they told me I could take any windows I wanted, oh boy was I ever overjoyed. I had several windows that we made boxes for on bottom, would attach vintage shutters on each side, hubs put shelves on bottom, would use chicken wire or hardware cloth on backs.
    One day I saw a really big window with 12 panes, bonanza. It was all I could do to get that window in my car but I worked at it. When hubs got home from being on the road I had him build a frame on living room wall to attach the window to as it was quite heavy. I printed out several botanical pictures to put in the panes, loved decorating that thing.
    Had to leave that window also along with many others and some old doors we had gotten out of an old barn. KY was such a great place to find so many treasures, not here tho darn it. If I do find something people want way more than I can ever afford. People here are very greedy and prices are higher.
    So glad to see you on here and showing a project. Great post. Hope to hear from you soon. Happy days

7. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Winter Decorating

8. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » Old Window Ramadan & Eid Decor