Peppermint Crunch Marshmallows {Vegetarian}

You didn’t think I was done with peppermint yet, did you? Of course I’m not. This is the season of peppermint, after all! Besides, I couldn’t just make homemade hot chocolate and not make homemade marshmallows… could I now!

Vegetarian Peppermint Crunch Marshmallows

I’ve made homemade marshmallows before which I did share in this post HERE. The recipe I make uses agar agar powder which is a natural vegetable gelatin. I loved the recipe so I used it again for my peppermint crunch marshmallows!

Other than the peppermint, the only thing I did different this time was I whipped the mixture for a minute or two less to make a softer marshmallow as opposed to a stiffer marshmallow (time in recipe below is for stiffer marshmallow). I did enjoy the eating texture of the softer marshmallow but it was not so easy on the cutting like the firmer texture. The not so smooth cut outs gave each marshmallow more of a rustic look which I didn’t mind one bit!

For the flavoring, I used peppermint oil rather extract. Flavoring oils are much stronger than extracts; about 3x stronger. Since I did use chopped candy canes in the marshmallows, the peppermint oil is optional. So no need to use it unless you want a stronger peppermint flavor like I did.

I loved the flavor and texture of these marshmallows. I typically don’t like marshmallows on their own, but I was eating these as is! Of course I did enjoy some with a cup of hot chocolate too! YUM!

Peppermint Crunch Marshmallows

Peppermint Crunch Marshmallows

1/2 cup Hot Water
2 teaspoons Agar Agar Powder
1 2/3 cups Sugar
2 Egg Whites
A pinch of Cream of Tartar
3 tablespoons Powdered Egg Substitute (I used Egg Replacer)
1/2 cup crushed Peppermint Candy Canes (about 5 candy canes)
1/8 teaspoons Peppermint Oil or 3/4 teaspoon Peppermint Extract (optional)
Red food gel (optional)
Coarsely crushed candy canes (optional)
Powdered sugar

Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Sprinkle the parchment paper with powdered sugar.

Add agar agar powder to the hot water and mix. Set to the side for 5 minutes.

Put the sugar into a small saucepan and add the agar agar water mixture; stir well. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes until the mixture is thick and syrupy. Don’t let the syrup overflow.

In the meantime, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl with the whisk attachment (at speed 8 for KitchenAids), until fluffy and stiff; about 5 minutes. Gently fold in 1 tablespoon of the egg substitute.

On low speed, in a steady stream, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the mixing bowl into the egg whites. Be careful because the syrup will be hot. Once all the syrup has been added, add the remaining 2 tablespoons egg substitute and the peppermint oil, and then increase speed to medium-high (8 for KA) until the mixture is glossy and stiff; about 3 minutes.  Add the 1/2 cup of crushed candy canes and mix briefly to allow the candy canes to spread. If you want to dye your marshmallow, add right after the crushed candy cane and mix for a brief second to create a swirl. {I accidentally over mixed which lost the red & white swirl and created a pink marshmallow!}

Evenly spread the marshmallow cream into the prepared pan. As an optional garnishment, sprinkle the top with the the coarsely crushed candy canes. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Remove the parchment-lined marshmallows from the pan and cut. Dust each side of the marshmallow with the powdered sugar.

Store marshmallows in an airtight container. Since egg whites were used, I always opt to store my marshmallows in the fridge.

Vintage Tin with Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows

As with most of my treats, I am sharing the love of these marshmallows with family and friends. I hope they enjoy them as much as I did!

1. December 11, 2013  9:12 am by ColleenB. Reply

those are super cool. I bet your family members can't wait to see what you come up with and always look forward into receiving your homemade goodies.

• December 12, 2013  10:29 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Colleen! Yup, and I am always happy to share the love...aka pounds. ;)

2. December 11, 2013  9:25 am by Karen Reply

Lovely and delicious! I have so enjoyed getting up early to start my day catching up on your blog. :-)

• December 12, 2013  10:21 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Karen!! I've enjoyed reading all your comments!! It was such a pleasure to see your name in my inbox. Miss having you around in blog land. :)

3. December 11, 2013  10:30 am by Sew Can Do (@sewcandoblog) Reply

This looks fabulous - you know how I love the vegetarian treats! Would love if you'd link this up to my Craftastic party - I've already pinned it to try:)

• December 12, 2013  9:34 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Cheryl! Yes I do remember your love for vegetarian treats, and I think you are going to love these! I linked up. :)

4. December 11, 2013  2:00 pm by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Oh my goodness...this is my dream come true in marshmallow form. This looks so wonderfully delicious.

• December 12, 2013  9:29 am by Maysem Reply

Oh they are so delicious and refreshing too! I've been sneaking one here and there.. just had one for breakfast with my oatmeal and coffee (odd combo:P). Soon those unwanted pounds will be sneaking up on me too! ;)

5. December 12, 2013  10:00 pm by Salwa Reply

Friends definitely enjoyed!!! ;-) Thanks, so much Maysem you're the awesomest!

• December 13, 2013  9:52 am by Maysem Reply

Glad to hear that!!

6. December 13, 2013  12:08 pm by michelle from sugarswings Reply

wow love the color and you can almost get the crunchiness through your pics, thanks for sharing!

• December 13, 2013  9:19 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Michelle!! Glad to have you stop by. :)

Enjoy your weekend!

7. December 14, 2013  8:43 pm by Heather Lynne Reply

These look amazing!!!! I want to reach through my screen & get some! ;) I would love for you to link this post up at my Christmas Themed link party here: http://www.raisingmemories.com/2013/12/december-2013-sharing-time-week-in.html

Have a wonderful Christmas!
    ~Heather

8. Pingback : 20 Neighbor Gifts - Reasons To Skip The Housework

9. Pingback : 20 Neighbor Gifts | My Blog

10. December 21, 2013  10:59 am by Sumo Reply

Those look really tasty! I'm going to have to give them a try! I'm featuring these on my blog today.

Thanks for linking up to the Block Party!
    Sumo:)

11. December 21, 2013  4:43 pm by Jeni Reply

Yummy! I love peppermint!