DIY Mini Domed Cake Plate & Cake Stand

I love thrifting. Especially when I find beautiful pieces like these wall plates and candle holder….

Thrifted Glass Wall Plates

I could have just used them as they are, but what fun would that be?

DIY Cake Stand and Domed Cake Plate

So instead I decided to do some simple crafting with them… a project that took about 5 minutes.

Well, 5 minutes to make but I did have to wait for the glue to completely dry overnight. E6000 glue is my choice of glue as always. :D

DIY Cake Stand with Thrift Finds

I turned one plate into a cake stand by glueing the candle holder to the bottom of the plate… it was the perfect candle holder to use as the base of the stand.

DIY Domed Cake Plate

I did initially plan on turning the small plate into a cake stand, but I couldn’t find a base that worked well with it. Instead I came up with the idea of just making a dome lid for it.

DIY Mini Domed Cake Stand

I love the way the domed cake plate turned out! For the dome lid, all I used was a glass bowl [from Walmart] and a drawer knob [from Hobby Lobby]. I think the two came together nicely and the perfect fit to go along with the plate!

DIY Cake Stand & Mini Domed Cake Plate

I love my two new creations. Super simple to make and so elegant! Don’t ya think?

Unfortunately I’m not keeping this beautiful set, but rather gifting them. No worries, they’re a gift for a well deserved person!

1. January 13, 2014  9:11 am by ColleenB. Reply

you found my weakness......cake stands. Love them both
    Love what you done with the smaller plate by using a glass bowl and adding just a knob. Very classy. How very clever and an idea for me to 'steal' from you. :} thank you
    Enjoy your week

2. January 13, 2014  10:03 am by Rana Reply

These came out so nicely. These cake stands remind me of my aunt. She has plates similar to this.
    You are so talented. Whenever I read your blog, you give me new ideas that I never would have thought of. :)

• January 13, 2014  10:06 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Rana!! You are so sweet. I'm so happy to hear that you are able to take ideas from me. :)

3. January 13, 2014  12:58 pm by leila Reply

gorgeous! I've been wanting to make one for ages! haven't found the right combination of pieces yet. Thanks for inspiring!

• January 13, 2014  10:08 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Leila! I know what you mean about wanting to do a particular project but just not finding the right pieces to put it together... or the excuse for certain projects. :P I'm happy that you found inspiration from my project

4. January 13, 2014  4:58 pm by pxlchk1 Reply

Swoon! How lucky that it all fit together just right. Beautiful!

• January 13, 2014  10:18 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Alana! I know... I knew I wanted a clear glass bowl but actually had a hard time finding one that would work until my last stop! I'm a Target girl so it didn't immediately occur to me to go to Walmart (even though they're right next to each other!)... so glad I made that stop! And for a buck, can't beat that! :)

5. January 13, 2014  5:42 pm by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

Beautiful. A thrifted fine to something truly spectacular. So simple, so elegant. Love it.

6. January 13, 2014  7:55 pm by shirley@housepitalitydesigns Reply

I am in awe of this project…always looking for a dome or cloche…and you created one!…that is so clever Maysem…Now people will see me walk thru the aisles of a store with a plate in hand turning clear bowls upside down!…FB'ing and pinning!!!!

• January 13, 2014  10:26 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Shirley!! I know what you mean! I'm sure people passing me by thought I was strange...LOL!

• January 17, 2014  8:38 pm by Maysem Reply

LOL! That would actually me a fun job!!

Thanks for stopping by and the sweet comment. Have a wonderful weekend!! :)

7. January 14, 2014  9:49 pm by Salwa Reply