How Do You Take Your Coffee? {Personalized Mugs}

Surely you have seen all the Sharpie marker on glass crafts out there. I’ve been wanting to give it a try for some time, and finally did!

How Do You Take Your Coffee Personalized Mugs

Apparently the Sharpie marker on glass craft is not a sure thing. There have been some hit and miss for some who have already experimented with it. Meaning, after being washed a few times [in the dishwasher in particular], it’s not necessarily permanent like we would hope. So when it came time to take my jab at it, I made sure to take heed of the advice that others have shared based on their experience.

First, it’s best to use the cheapest glassware possible like the Dollar Tree glassware.

Next thing I read is that it’s recommended to use the oil based Sharpie markers.

Finally, the last advice given was to oven bake the glassware at 450 degrees.

Sharpie on Mug Personalized How You Take Your Coffee

So I took all that advice and made some coffee mugs. I thought it would be a fun valentine to make mugs for my coffee buddies and to personalize them to how they take their coffee… except for one chai tea!

Unfortunately, white mugs tend to be a seasonal thing at my Dollar Tree, so I went with the next best {or should I say worst ;)} thing which is Walmart.

Sharpie on Glass Mug Craft Valentine

I created a stencil design with my Silhouette and placed it on the mug (which was cleaned off with alcohol first). I first outlined the frame from the outer edge of the stencil and then filled in the heart and the words. Of course, you can free hand your design. If you mess up, it easily comes right off with water.

Sharpie Designed Mugs in Oven

Then I placed the mugs into the cool oven. Set my oven at 450 degrees, and once it reached that temperature I set my timer for 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes were up, I turned the oven off and left the mugs in the oven allowing them to cool completely. To speed up the cooling, I cracked my oven door a bit.

Sharpie Mug Chai Tea

That’s all there was to it! Based on the above advice, my design should hold up even in the dishwasher. I did do the hand washing test and so far so good. I haven’t tried the dishwasher test yet. I decided to leave that up to the recipients… at their own risk! :P

So how do you take your coffee? :)

Also, do let me know if you tried this before, and if it was a success or fail.

1. January 29, 2014  9:43 am by Dina Reply

Love my new 'Milk & Splenda' mug ! ;)

• January 29, 2014  6:09 pm by Maysem Reply

Glad you like it. :D

2. January 29, 2014  11:33 am by Amy of while wearing heels Reply

You have the nicest handwriting. I love all your mugs. And thanks for trouble shooting for the rest of us.

• January 29, 2014  6:05 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Amy! That's actually a stencil. :) I was going to handwrite it but went with stencil instead. I did want a handwritten effect so I chose a font that did look like it was. :)

3. January 29, 2014  12:55 pm by Maha Reply

Very cute idea Maysem! Who doesn't love a mug especially a personalized one

• January 29, 2014  6:05 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks!

4. January 29, 2014  3:12 pm by Rana Reply

I have been wanting to do this. I have seen this craft everywhere but heard the same things you have except baking in the oven at 450. The only thing that worries me about that is the glass breaking. I think I will try this with my kids and let them do the decorating.

• January 29, 2014  4:39 pm by Maysem Reply

That's why you put the mugs in the oven before turning it on and take them out of the oven after they have cooled completely. Otherwise yes there will be glass breaking. Also make sure it is a microwave safe mug... most are but doesn't hurt to check.

5. January 30, 2014  12:09 am by Salwa.barhumi@gmail.com Reply

Oh my first and best valentine ever! Feel so special with the personalization, and that it's hand written :-)

Makes me think how cute this would be to make for another person at a party, and then having to guess who each one is for :p

• January 30, 2014  9:36 am by Maysem Reply

Your first valentine!! I need to have a talk with Keanan. ;)

And that's an awesome idea!! Maybe we should do that!

6. January 30, 2014  9:44 am by ColleenB. ~ Texas Reply

I take my coffee black. Don't want to spoil the taste of my coffee with cream and sugar.
    Your coffee mugs look great and such an easy project to do.
    I know when stamping on ceramic tiles that they also have to be baked in the oven.
    Thanks for the cute and clever inspiration. Doing these for other holidays would also be great and putting in gift baskets

• January 30, 2014  11:50 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Colleen! They would be adorable in gift baskets..whether it be coffee, tea, or hot chocolate! You can also do soup mugs too for a soup theme. :)

I'll drink light roast coffees black but I need a little bit of cream or milk otherwise. No sugar for me!

7. January 31, 2014  9:31 am by Tracy Joyner Reply

I'm so glad you did this post :D
    I've been thinking of trying this and your tips will make it a success for me <3

• February 4, 2014  12:09 pm by Maysem Reply

I'm happy to hear that my tips are helpful! Have fun with yours!!

Thanks for stopping by. :)

8. January 31, 2014  10:58 am by Sandra Reply

love it, we often buy each other in the family special mugs and have even sent pictures away and put on mugs but this is something we should try, thank you.

• February 4, 2014  12:12 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Sandra! There's something about personalized mugs that make whatever it is you're drinking taste better... don't ya think? :P I hope you do try this. Have fun!

9. February 1, 2014  4:20 pm by Marti Reply

I adore these! You did a great job with them; they look totally freehand. I haven't tried the markers yet. I hope you update this post after a month or so and tell how they are holding up.

• February 4, 2014  12:14 pm by Maysem Reply

Thank you Marti! I am going to try to follow up with the recipients and see how they are holding up. One friend told me that she's been washing her's in the dishwasher... and so far so good! Yay! :D

10. February 4, 2014  8:37 pm by Aida @ TheCraftingFoodie Reply

These are adorable, and your tips are excellent. I'm going to pin this, so I can refer to it when I finally decorate some mugs with Sharpies :) I was wondering how you got the text so perfectly. Do you love your Silhouette? I've been thinking about getting one, but I'm having a really tough time pulling the trigger!

• February 11, 2014  8:12 am by Maysem Reply

Thanks Aida! My text is part of the stencil. :) Yes, I love my Silhouette. I say go for it!! :D

11. Pingback : Ode to Inspiration » To all the people and things that inspire me and motivate me to jump into projects I never thought I would do! I hope you get inspired too! » I’m Hooked on You {Purse Hook Valentine}

12. February 10, 2014  10:35 am by Tammy Reply

I love these and I was just trying to figure out a gift I was needing to make in a few weeks. Problem solved!!! Thanks for sharing and pinning to my craft board.

13. Pingback : The Inspiration Board: creative party spotlight ~140~ | homework: creative inspiration for home and life