Vintage Jewelry Picture Frame

When my friend asked me to decorate her wedding cake for her I came up with a brilliant idea… well at least I thought it was brilliant. ;)

I didn’t make the cake; my job was just to decorate it. So other than the love birds cake topper that I made, I decided that I would embellish the cake with some vintage jewelry in a cascading fashion coming down the tiers. The bride is a vintage lover so I knew she would appreciate this idea. Then after the wedding, the plan was to take those same jewelry pieces, and to create what would hopefully be a forever keepsake…

Vintage Jewelry Picture Frame

A picture frame!

Vintage Meet Modern Jewelry

All it took is vintage jewelry pieces (courtesy of Vintage Meet Modern), a frame ($.50; thrifted), and E6000 glue (my beloved glue of course!).

DIY Vintage Jewelry Picture Frame Tutorial

First I clipped off the backing on all the earrings and broaches. Then I did clean all the jewelry pieces and sanitized them as well since they were going on the cake. Then again cleaned them after the wedding to remove the buttercream.

I glued on the jewelry to the frame, holding down each one for a few seconds (or until they felt like they were going to stay put). For a couple of them, I did need to use painters tape to help them stay put until the glue dried. I let the frame sit overnight to allow for the glue to dry completely.

I do recommend removing the glass if possible to avoid getting glue on there. I didn’t have that luxury with my frame so I wiped off any dripped glue immediately.

That’s all it took to make the frame. So simple!

Vintage Jewelry Frame Wedding Gift

Since this was a gift and I’m a sucker for presentation, I couldn’t help but add a little extra cuteness… textured scrapbook paper inside the frame and a little banner for the Mr. -N- Mrs. to keep or easily remove.

All that is left is to add is a wedding picture of the bride and groom… that’s something that I’ll have to leave for the couple to do!

1. June 2, 2014  11:51 am by Rana Reply

What a cute idea. I love that this something they can always have from their wedding and that can be used for a wedding picture.

2. June 2, 2014  1:07 pm by Maha Reply

Very nice! Beautiful wedding gift! And so easy to make.

3. June 2, 2014  2:54 pm by Aziza Reply

Great idea! I think this makes a perfect gift!

4. June 2, 2014  3:05 pm by ColleenB. Reply

Very clever idea and what a great and special gift it makes.
    Would love to see the decorated cake. I'm sure it must had been gorgeous

Suggestion: Can't remove the glass from a frame, just cover with freezer paper or waxed paper and secure with painters tape with less chance of getting glue on the glass.

• June 2, 2014  3:21 pm by Maysem Reply

Thanks Colleen! And thanks for the tip. That's a great idea.. just make sure to remove the paper immediately so it doesn't get glued on! :P

5. June 3, 2014  5:16 am by sahara Reply

I love it so much and the added mr. N mrs is awesome, it looks great as is without even a picture in the frame .

6. June 3, 2014  8:02 am by Tahrer Reply

This was a great idea, love how it came out!!!!

7. June 4, 2014  10:14 pm by amy of while wearing heels Reply

Maysem, you are such a thoughtful gift giver. Again you created something beautiful and presented it so well. So, now...inquiring minds want to see that cake you decorated.

8. July 24, 2014  10:34 pm by Laurie Reply

I loved your Tip Me Tuesday link . {thanks girl!}

Would you like Tip Junkie to feature your blog post to over 200,000 creative women? If you upload this blog post into your Tip Junkie craft room using at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL then I can easily feature it in my RSS feed, home page, and all my social networks instantly. {squealing with delight}

~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}