I know you’ve heard me say that I don’t like using box mixes… and I don’t. But there’s this box of caramel cake mix that’s been sitting in the pantry staring at me every time I open the pantry door. No, I didn’t buy it. It just appeared out of nowhere. Okay, maybe not out of nowhere. Who bought it, I couldn’t tell you… but I think it’s been waiting for me to utilize it somehow. So the day has come to take the box out of the pantry and put it to good use… with a little bit of tweaking of course!
My creation… Caramel Apple Parfait! The components… Caramel Apple Cider cake, Apple Cider Caramel, Caramelized Apple Walnut filling, and Cinnamon Whipped Cream. Whether served warm, room temp, or cold… this was OH, so YUM! And I am more than happy to share this super easy and super delish recipe with you!
Depending on how much cake crumble you use, most likely you will have left over cake. If so, serve as slices drizzled with caramel!
CARAMEL APPLE PARFAIT
Caramel Apple Cider Cake:
1 Box Duncan Hines Caramel Cake Mix
3 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
1/2 Cup Apple Cider
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Apple Cider Caramel (adapted from halfbakedharvest.com)
2 Cups Apple Cider
1/4 Cup Butter
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Apple Walnut Filling
4 Tablespoons Butter
3 Cups Chopped Apples (skin on)
2/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for dark pans). Grease pan and set aside. Mix all the ingredients for the cake together. Pour in greased pan. Bake according to pan used as stated on cake mix box.
2. While cake is baking, make the caramel. In a medium sauce pan, bring apple cider to boil. Continue to boil until cider has thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup. About 20 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the butter, sugar, cream, and cinnamon. Bring back to boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until caramel has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool and thicken.
3. Heat skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook for 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the walnuts and cook for 5-8 more minutes or until apples are caramelized. Add the vanilla and cook for about a minute more. Set aside to cool down.
4. On high speed, whisk together heavy whipping cream, sugar, and cinnamon until stiff peaks form.
5. Create your parfait in alternating layers with all four components. Into each serving vessel crumble cake, top with apple walnut filling, caramel, whipped cream, and repeat ending with a drizzle of caramel over the whipped cream and top with a walnut for garnish.
Eat immediately or later… either way ENJOY!
I prefer eating it while the filling and caramel are slightly warm, but even if served cold still tastes amazing!